Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default Speaking of automatic powder dispensers

I've been mulling over purchasing a powder dispensing unit from Cabelas, P and D or online through amazon. The choices are RCBS, Frankford arsenal, Hornady and Lyman. I'd like to get your thoughts on these units. Are they worth it and which one would you say is the best for the money? Your input would be a great help and much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:17 PM

I expect the bulk will say an RCBS as that is what they have, I have a Chargemaster 1500 I bought 7 yrs ago, no beefs. It reads .1 heavy to my beam scale, even with the check weights, but, does it so consistently, I don't worry about it. I used a Lyman 1000 scale for 20+ yrs before I tried the Chargemaster, so was aware of the quirks of the elec scales before getting it.
Seems as a lot of people had beefs with other makes over the years, speed, krapping out, noise, been many upgrades to them over the years, hopefully they have them sorted out now. Rcbs has had its share of krapouts, but, doesn't seem to be as many, and I expect there may be a lot more of them out there than the others. FA hasn't really been out long enough to get much of a track record yet, seems like so far, so good.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I expect the bulk will say an RCBS as that is what they have, I have a Chargemaster 1500 I bought 7 yrs ago, no beefs. It reads .1 heavy to my beam scale, even with the check weights, but, does it so consistently, I don't worry about it. I used a Lyman 1000 scale for 20+ yrs before I tried the Chargemaster, so was aware of the quirks of the elec scales before getting it.
Seems as a lot of people had beefs with other makes over the years, speed, krapping out, noise, been many upgrades to them over the years, hopefully they have them sorted out now. Rcbs has had its share of krapouts, but, doesn't seem to be as many, and I expect there may be a lot more of them out there than the others. FA hasn't really been out long enough to get much of a track record yet, seems like so far, so good.
I've been watching You tube videos on these things, still haven't decided what would be the best for the money. I have noticed that unit costs for the FA model are quite a bit higher through Cabelas compared to Amazon. 292.88 vs 349.99 respectively. one thing has me wondering about the you tube comparison videos are they paid advertisements? unbiased?
Old 01-09-2021, 01:41 PM

I have the Frandford Arsenal. I've used it for close to a year now, around 600-700 rifle rounds loaded through it, and I have no complaints. It seems accurate, I have a set of check weights (Amazon, not sure on the quality) and it seems bang on with those. I also have a Dillon digital scale, weights are very consistent between the two.

It throws very fast and very consistent, occasionally it will throw a charge .1 high, when it does it makes a long beep so it's easy to catch. I use a pair of tweezers to pull 1 or kernels out, piece of cake. I'd say this happens 2, maybe 3 times in 50 rounds.

I'm pretty happy with.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:48 PM

The ChargeMaster is very popular. I had one for many years. Although the price has risen significantly in recent months, it’s still a pretty good investment. Accuracy and repeatability are decent too.

If price is no object, why not go laboratory grade? This is what I use..

Welcome down the rabbit hole!
Old 01-09-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
The ChargeMaster is very popular. I had one for many years. Although the price has risen significantly in recent months, it’s still a pretty good investment. Accuracy and repeatability are decent too.

If price is no object, why not go laboratory grade? This is what I use..

Welcome down the rabbit hole!
Looks like my wife’s blender 😎
Old 01-09-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Looks like my wife’s blender 😎
You would crap your pants if your wife paid that much for a blender.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2021, 06:25 PM

I bought two Chargemasters several years ago, and they have been flawless.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You would crap your pants if your wife paid that much for a blender.
Oh you have no idea . My wife can find the most expensive kitchen gadgets you’ve ever seen .
Old 01-09-2021, 07:28 PM

Laughing!

-Billy Molls
Old 01-09-2021, 09:28 PM

What’s one of those run? A vitamix is about 500 and a specialty coffee maker is another 500+.

Are we half way there yet?

I got my chargemaster years ago for a good price at the time I felt. It works great for me.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
What’s one of those run? A vitamix is about 500 and a specialty coffee maker is another 500+.

I got my chargemaster years ago for a good price at the time I felt. It works great for me.
With both of them together? Yes, you are halfway. Ish.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 01-09-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:42 PM

I use a Charge master also, I have had it for 6-7 years, I only had one "failure" with the unit in that time, It gave me a bunch of weird loads. I unplugged the unit plugged it back in and it worked fine after that.( always check loads against a beam scale) Since then I have always checked my loads more often on a beam scale (10-10 or 5-0-5), every tenth throw or less. Now I have a even better scale a RCBS 304 and I trickle in the last few grains on it, after the Charge master is done.

For hunting loads and Varmint Loads the Charge master works just fine and is much faster then a beam scale ..Once you dive off into the precision world ..... well things change
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:07 PM

Chargemaster Combo here as well...
Old 01-10-2021, 08:01 AM

Chargemaster,no problems in 8 years
Old 01-10-2021, 08:09 AM

I purchased the Frankford Arsenal one off of Amazon. The first one screwed up after a few hundred rounds. I got it exchanged and the new one has had zero issues.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-10-2021, 08:10 AM

Default powder measures

Another chargemaster here, but lately I am seeing the calibration has been slipping. It is consistently out by 2%
I looked up in the manual about calibration issues and only the factory can deal with it. Anyone else had to send their's in for repairs, and how was the shipping/return process?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
I purchased the Frankford Arsenal one off of Amazon. The first one screwed up after a few hundred rounds. I got it exchanged and the new one has had zero issues.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good to see you back Skytop. Forum needs knowledgeable people like you. Justsayin
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 AM

I have a similar setup to 6MT but with less bells and whistles. Which may save you about half. I already owned a powder thrower so manually use it to throw initial charges instead of the autothrow. I then let the AutoTrickler finish. I also don’t have the aftermarket upgrades like stand, clear top, pan, and powder cup. The lab grade balance is the same.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post

Was curious so looked it up - it seems you can pre-order the latest version for about 1250 with free delivery.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Was curious so looked it up - it seems you can pre-order the latest version for about 1250 with free delivery.
That is USD

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2021, 09:37 AM

Mine was $1150 Canadian delivered. Add another almost $500 for the Area415 upgrades.

Yes....pricey.

But, much quicker then the ChargeMaster 1500 combo. And resolution accuracy to 2 one hundredths of a grain. The ChargeMaster’s resolution is only to a tenth of a grain.

Like most things in life, the cost must justify the ends for you. For me....the answer was a big yes.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That is USD
Nope - $960 US. That is why I said approximately.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:54 AM

Excellent!

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2021, 10:03 AM

I just checked my receipts and paid just over $750 for mine.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Default A&D FX 120i

Quote:
I just checked my receipts and paid just over $750 for mine.
If that ~$750 included the auto-trickler, you got a great price.
I purchased my A&D FX120i from Cambridge Environmental in Canada, during their ‘black Friday’ sale in fall 1019.
I paid CA$ 615. +$30 shipping +gst = CA$ 677.25.
Regular list was US$ 745.50 (~CA$ 990. + gst =~ CA$ 1040 + shipping.)
I did not purchase the auto trickler, as there was no sale price.

I dump with a cheap Lee ‘Perfect’ measure and trickle manually.
For greatest precision, I cut large grained extruded powder into a ‘large half’ and a ‘small half’, and place manually.

There is a huge difference of accuracy and precision between a consumer grade ‘load cell’ scale such as RCBS ChargeMaster (or similar ‘reloading’ branded scale), and a ‘lab’ grade ‘magnetic force restoration balance’ such as an A&D, Sartorious, or Prometheus.

I continue to use my ~ $50 ‘load cell’ gem scales for sorting brass & bullets and mixing epoxy.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:32 AM
Banned

My Residential Sergeant Major, call sign 9er Domestic authorized that FA purchase! Since I've been reduced to using only my right arm as I recently (last Wednesday) had rotator cuff surgery done. This puts me at a serious disadvantage at my reloading bench. The powder dispenser should make reloading much simpler while I recuperate....I hope

I went with the Frankford Arsenal platinum series intelli-dropper mainly because of the price being well within my budget. After watching many videos on the pros and cons, I was sold on this model. The only drawback noted was the noise made by the motor while dispensing powder. This isn't really an issue for me as all I need to do is remove my hearing aids.. easy peasy.
Thanks to all for taking the time to send your valuable input.

Last edited by trooper; 01-11-2021 at 02:44 AM.