Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 09:40 AM

Was searching my old thread for some info in trim length and thought I would post an update. That original RKS gain twist barrel lasted till 1700 rounds. accuracy was pretty good then all of a sudden bullets started tumbling. Took me some time to diagnose that because it was intermittent. Once I did I ordered a Benchmark 5R 1:8 twist 6.5mm. had Henry rempel chamber that for me again. With load development already pretty much figured out I just loaded what worked before and went with it. Didn't have to change a thing it turns out.
after 100 rounds or so it settled in and shot like a dream.
+AVccWmuR6aaF0BlRCcTeA.jpg

This was my recent 10 shot group at 100 yards.. I'd been chasing this for awhile.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Was searching my old thread for some info in trim length and thought I would post an update. That original RKS gain twist barrel lasted till 1700 rounds. accuracy was pretty good then all of a sudden bullets started tumbling. Took me some time to diagnose that because it was intermittent. Once I did I ordered a Benchmark 5R 1:8 twist 6.5mm. had Henry rempel chamber that for me again. With load development already pretty much figured out I just loaded what worked before and went with it. Didn't have to change a thing it turns out.
after 100 rounds or so it settled in and shot like a dream.
Attachment 170021

This was my recent 10 shot group at 100 yards.. I'd been chasing this for awhile.
My first RKS in 6.5WSM went 2,400 rounds before I decided to re-chamber it. I would still do 1MOA at 500 but not all the time.
Mick McPhee took 4" off it to find the throat!
My buddy and I always figured a 6.5 built off the SAUM case that I worked up ammo for was a bit better than the WSM, just a bit more proficient.
Cat
Old 01-07-2021, 09:57 AM

I was fortunate to get invited to a hunting trip to New Zealand in 2019. something I never thought I would get to do. And of course I brought the rifle with me. Long range shots at Chamois and Tahr were a reality that I had to be prepared for. I had the weigh the rifle for one of the helicopter rides to base camp and it came to 16 pounds 8 oz. unloaded. I have a backpack style sling that worked so well. I carry in muzzle down, centred on my back. This keeps debris out of the barrel when I'm moving through the bush and it doesn't snag on branches overhead. The downside is the back of my calf will come into contact with the end of the barrel once in awhile and that can get old. especially when it gets sore. fullsizeoutput_d25.jpg
Old 01-07-2021, 10:00 AM

I did upgrade to a Gen 2 Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50. ffp. the lower turrets made it more comfortable to carry on my back, plus they got a real zero stop on it and moved the illumination knob to blend with the parallax knob. The reticle is nicer too. easier to shoot paper.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:15 AM

16.5 pounds? That would be a deal breaker for me!
Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My first RKS in 6.5WSM went 2,400 rounds before I decided to re-chamber it. I would still do 1MOA at 500 but not all the time.
Mick McPhee took 4" off it to find the throat!
My buddy and I always figured a 6.5 built off the SAUM case that I worked up ammo for was a bit better than the WSM, just a bit more proficient.
Cat
From what I can tell, the powder I used had a lot to do with my lower side barrel life. N570 has a decoppering agent and it's supposed to be harder on barrels? I'd never knew such a thing existed.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:27 AM

We used Hodgdon powders, Retumbo, H1000, etc
Cat

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk