Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 08:31 AM

Default On bench priming tool

In looking for a reasonably priced on bench priming tool. Hoping to spend less than 100$. I have a few hand held primer tools but my hands can't handle squeezing the levers due to arthritis. I do have on press option but since I have a single stage rcbs primers need to be hand loaded one at a time and the tiny little buggers are difficult for my fat stiff fingers.lol looking for a lever type
That I can fill a hopper and use the palm of my hand to seat primers instead of a squeeze...need to get the pressure off my thumbs.
What are my best options?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2020, 08:55 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/RCBS-9460-Auto.../dp/B000NOORXE

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Yup---RCBSx2. Have a Forster, it's ok, but awkward to my mind, maybe just takes getting used to, only used it twice now, shud probably also be on an angled base, which may make it less awkward. Take a Lee and put it where the sun don't shine.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I second this one ^^^ I have used others this works great. I paid closer to $200 for mine so the price is right.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:45 AM

RCBS Also gets my vote

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:46 AM

I have the one chuck recommended since late 70s and still going. If you go with it you will want a primer flipper tray .
Old 12-18-2020, 11:56 AM

The only thing I dislike is the rod that holds the primers. Seems slow and awkward. My hands often have a hard time holding a pencil....These things look like trouble...the lee one has a tray...Most of my other lee stuff works decent...is the lee one just junk?
Watched a you tube on the rcbs....Seems like picking up 100 primers might be a long tedious job.....looked painful almost..thoughts?
Old 12-18-2020, 12:52 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/Frankford-Arse.../dp/B00BQ6A3Y0

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Looks like a good solution. Gonna have to save up...more than double my budget at the moment lol
Old 12-18-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Watched a you tube on the rcbs....Seems like picking up 100 primers might be a long tedious job.....looked painful almost..thoughts?
The primer flipper makes it easy.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Looks like a good solution. Gonna have to save up...more than double my budget at the moment lol
Laughing! The opportunity to spend money on reloading stuff is endless!

-Billy Molls
Old 12-18-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So true, but money don't grow on trees these days lol.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The only thing I dislike is the rod that holds the primers. Seems slow and awkward. My hands often have a hard time holding a pencil....These things look like trouble...the lee one has a tray...Most of my other lee stuff works decent...is the lee one just junk?
I got a bunch of Dillion primer tubes at auction they work MUCH better then the RCBS primer tubes (the little "plastic" tips are way easier to "catch" the primer then the hard aluminum tubes like RCBS has are.).. I think I have 10 or so pairs so if you want some let me know.

I have /had the Lee table top, it was a bust for me but I know DLab loves his. The RCBS hand held one is very nice as well.. I wore mine out but I have since learned you can replace the little plastic primer inserts IF so they are a great option to the bench model.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 12-18-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I got a bunch of Dillion primer tubes at auction they work MUCH better then the RCBS primer tubes (the little "plastic" tips are way easier to "catch" the primer then the hard aluminum tubes like RCBS has are.).. I think I have 10 or so pairs so if you want some let me know.

I have /had the Lee table top, it was a bust for me but I know DLab loves his. The RCBS hand held one is very nice as well.. I wore mine out but I have since learned you can replace the little plastic primer inserts IF so they are a great option to the bench model.

What did you hate about the lee?if you don't mind me asking. Gotta admit the price difference is tempting. Money is real tight right now but I also understand the buy once cry once if it truly is a way better product.
I have the rcbs hand held and have used it for the last 15 years. My hands just can't handle it anymore so need another option.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Yup, and of course there is damned little available around here, seems like everything has to be shipped in. If they even have it. Even things like a reloading press is in short supply, was looking at Brownell`s the other day, thought maybe I`d see something interesting there, not a single stage press on hand, out of most of the progressives also. Had a tough time making up a worthwhile order. Wanted a Redding S die a few mos back, hit 8-10 stores before I found one, had to get bushings from a different store.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
What did you hate about the lee?if you don't mind me asking. Gotta admit the price difference is tempting. Money is real tight right now but I also understand the buy once cry once if it truly is a way better product.
I have the RCBS hand held and have used it for the last 15 years. My hands just can't handle it anymore so need another option.
I did not hate the Lee, It actually worked quite well until the plastic primer feeding cup wore out (same as RCBS hand held did) and primers ended up going in crooked.
I have looked at the RCBS table top version for 30+ years but never "bite" the bullet (figured it was to expensive) Wish I had done it 30 years ago for all the money and frustration I had over the years it would have been money well spent.

The RCBS tool is all steel or cast no plastic to wear out and for the price that was listed it is a bargain. IMHO.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Default On bench priming tool

I would give the Lee bench Prime a chance. Really have nothing to loose at the price. I listen to lots of people write Lee products off. They obviously have deeper pockets than I do. I use a lot of Lee stuff it all works. I have also used Dillon products they work. RCBS stuff. It works too. Lee also has free replacement parts if they wear out. You just pay the shipping. If you have the Lee hand prime the Lee bench prime uses the same tray. I have watched “professional shooters” reloading using the bench prime am looking to pick one up myself. I also use the Lee hand prime, Ram prime, and on press priming options like the safety Prime. Depends on the day and what I feel like doing. Products don’t always have to be green or blue and cost hundreds of dollars to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk