Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Fishin Tip .... I normally fish two W/W's on 1 rod, dark color on top & bright color down bottom, this past week I noticed the Whites looked a bit confused they would go after the top & miss it and then sometimes try the bottom & miss it and then move on. To consistently catch Whites it requires some finesse in your technique went you catch 1 or 2 and miss lots.

Went home and made a few new W/W's and downsized my hook, used less wraps of wire which helped the W/W sit horizontal & Mr. White could inhale it from either side & I got more or better hook sets.

If your in a fly fishin shop and see the Daiichi # 1530 - Sz 10, I highly recommend you pick some up. If you decide to tie 2 of this size W/W's on 1 rod & you notice the Whites won't commit or turn at the last second, then pull your clippers out & remove the bottom one or cut them both off & tie on the one they show the most interest in.

This size of hook with a shorter shank in #10 is now my new favorite, perhaps because it got me my P/B White this year.

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

D.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:47 PM

just curious here, I used to live in Calgary, caught probably a few thousand rockies and a lot were on a hackle-less fly I tied with just orange thread on the hook, a good number of wraps to bulk it up a wee bit. sometimes also with a brown hackle but just thin. do you ever try something like this for whites? I catch the odd one but always on a big minnow and quarter ounce jig, I dont really care to target them I prefer fish that bite back Ive gotten more with a bow than a rod that gets exciting

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
just curious here, I used to live in Calgary, caught probably a few thousand rockies and a lot were on a hackle-less fly I tied with just orange thread on the hook, a good number of wraps to bulk it up a wee bit. sometimes also with a brown hackle but just thin. do you ever try something like this for whites? I catch the odd one but always on a big minnow and quarter ounce jig, I dont really care to target them I prefer fish that bite back Ive gotten more with a bow than a rod that gets exciting
Hi Wayne ... haven't graduated past wire yet, perhaps next year I'll experiment a bit more, tks for the suggestion.

All the best over the holidays & hard water season.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:41 PM

Default 2020 - 2021 Hard Water Season Starts Here with 333 posts & 93,157 views .............

It’s W/W tying time, needed to make a few spares that worked really well last year.

I normally tie two W/W’s on each rod, the smaller on top and normally the brighter color on the bottom.

When sight fishing this helps locate my presentations in deeper or murky water conditions.

One day last year I was in 5-6 fow & had quite a few Whites show interest in my larger brass W/W with glass bead, but kept missing it.

Decided to change up and put on a smaller brass W/W (1530 #10) with no bead, that made all the difference.

Got my P/B White on this simple brass W/W that’s a bit smaller in overall size, however, it has a nice sized hook shank and it hangs perfectly horizontal.

(Go back to bottom of Page 10 - Post 297 for a tip on how to tie 2 - W/W's so they sit perfectly horizontal, I use both 6 & 8 lb Floro.)

Made a few starting from the eye as well the shank end of the hook, depends if your adding bling or not.

I find I can get a tighter more even wrap when I start from the shank, use whatever technique works for you.

A few pic’s & tips that may help if your mfg your own creations.

Cheers

David

These Daiichi’s 1530 - #10 work great if you can find them.

Start your wrap from the Eye.

This Pattern produced my biggest White ever.

See .... just under 20".

Starting from the Hook Shank.

Something Different in a Wire Rope.

Hot creation of mine – Brown Wire with Glass Bead from Cat 6 Computer Cable.

That should get some of you excited …..

Old 11-29-2020, 05:24 AM

Nice! It is not time to get excited until this post hits the top of the list

Good luck out there Zip.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice! It is not time to get excited until this post hits the top of the list

Good luck out there Zip.

Ok .... OK .... with less than 2 weeks to season opener, I'm getting excited. Mr. Whites should be scared that I'm not going to Palm Springs. Hopefully we'll have a decent winter with good solid ice & it will go by quickly. Also hoping the water clarity has improved on Gull.

Wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:13 PM

Got to thinking, for those who are considering or just getting into making your own W/W’s what would be the best "Fishin Tip" to help others improve their success?

This .... It would be to choose the best hook with the right length/shank with a good gap and the eye pointing up as per the pic below. As mentioned in my previous posts I use Nymph style hooks to make my W/W’s & found the - Daiichi 1530 in size #8 & #10 to be premium quality hooks. I also found some Mustard Brand S82-3906B size #8 are good, too. See above post 334 or Page 10 post 296 for a reference pic.

The reason for choosing the right hook is your goal is to get your finished W/W to sit perfectly Horizontal! You wouldn’t use a standard hook from a Pickerel Rig, it’s too long to start with and when you add wire/beads/bling, it would never sit Horizontal, which is a must if you plan to target Whites.

Another mistake, and I made my share, is to wrap too much wire around the hook. If your using 4 or 6 or 8 lb floro it’s almost impossible to get your W/W to sit Horizontal if it’s overloaded with wire/weight at the hook shank. I’ve taken apart a number of my earlier creations just to salvage the hooks, Daiichi’s aren’t cheap and no one sells them here in Central Ab.

To summarize, start with a good Nymph style hook that’s the right length/shank and the gap is just as important don’t overdo the wire wraps & your W/W’s will sit perfectly Horizontal, which is the key to success for targeting Mr. White.

Trust this has been helpful.

Cheers

D.

For Reference.

A Good Knot will make all the Difference!

When you Tie them to your Rod make sure the Hook is Up for better Upper Lip Hook Set!

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-29-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:59 PM

Made a few more today, downsized some of my hooks to 1530 #8, will field test them on Friday & over the next week and see if my theory proves successful that a smaller W/W is more appealing to Mr. White. If anything they float down slower & sit perfectly horizontal, which is critical for a successful day.

D.

New Creation's with a twist they may have potential.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:27 PM

The other day I was getting my rods ready for opening day & was tying on two w/w's on one of my rods, had the top one tied on snugged up the knot and was in process of tying on the second w/w and the rod fell off the counter I grabbed the rod/line but missed and the top hook embedded past the barb in my finger. Gave it a pull with my locking forceps wouldn't come out.

Fishin Tip - This could happen to you!

Got some ice and put it on the hook/finger until I could feel my finger was real cold, then looped some braid and pushed the hook eye down and pulled up on the braid, came straight out with very little discomfort and just a bit of blood, cleaned it up put on a band-aid ... all good.

First time in 50 years of fishin that I had to remove a hook.

D.

This may help others, don't forget about the ice, it helps.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam Zip you been busy....will these little beauties work on perch to?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-09-2020, 09:05 AM

Hey guys I’m having a hard time finding the glow beads, can someone point me in the right direction. I’m located in Calgary and have looked at Michael’s in shaunessey but no luck. Thx all and stay safe
Old 12-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Hey guys I’m having a hard time finding the glow beads, can someone point me in the right direction. I’m located in Calgary and have looked at Michael’s in shaunessey but no luck. Thx all and stay safe
Do you have a Bead World. The one here in Edmonton had lots.

BW
Old 12-09-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dam Zip you been busy....will these little beauties work on perch to?

Tks ... yes I've caught larger Perch mainly in Gull using Brass or the Candy-Cane Yellow w/w's. I tip my presentations with pink mag's, the bait helps.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post

Got mine at the Fishing Hole in Edm a number of years ago, it appears they still sell them in the fishing components section ..... see link. Falcon Soft Glo beads # SGB1-28 OR SGB3-28.

Cheers

D.

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?...DS%2F&se=24623

Old 12-09-2020, 12:14 PM

Got a few P/M's from members looking for info, pleased to see there's still a lot of interest in creating your own W/W's. As previously mentioned, it's rewarding to catch fish on something you made.

I'll be updating the thread with what w/w was hot & not. Hoping members post up some pic's and share what worked for you over the course of the season.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Dec 11th - Opening Day ... First thing in the morning Mr. White was after my smaller brass w/w, but I just couldn't hook-up, missed a number of them & so did Scott. Mid-morning they would come in and turn away at the last second, frustrating as hell. After lunch the one's I caught came straight in & didn't look at any other color but the red w/w with glow bead & inhaled it. Scott got the largest on a orange & black w/w with a white bead, sorry no pic of his.

A few pic's.

D.

Had lots of Chances but no Hook-ups on this One.

Both of Mine were on this Pattern.

Orange & black w/w with a white bead, sorry no pic of w/w.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:38 PM

Thank you Zip for a great informative post. I am new to this forum, also new to fishing in Calgary, and never ice fish before. I have a dump question.Do this wire worm work during spring or Fall also? Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledges. Tight line

Last edited by FreeToFish; 12-12-2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Miss spelled a word
Old 12-12-2020, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Tks ... yes I've caught larger Perch mainly in Gull using Brass or the Candy-Cane Yellow w/w's. I tip my presentations with pink mag's, the bait helps.

Cheers

D.
Thx....heading out right away...pink mags is on the purchase list too.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeToFish View Post
Thank you Zip for a great informative post. I am new to this forum, also new to fishing in Calgary, and never ice fish before. I have a dump question.Do this wire worm work during spring or Fall also? Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledges. Tight line
Yes .... try a "Slip Bobber", I've seen lots of people do very well out on Sylvan at Sunbreaker Cove & Palm Bay. The key for success is tying on the presentation so it sits horizontal you may have to add a small split shot to get your w/w's down to the desired depth, which normally would be 1-2 ft off the bottom.

If you flip back to page #10, review Post # 297, it provides a step-by-step process to tie on 2 w/w's on 1 rod that will sit perfectly horizontal.

Trust this was helpful.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Thx....heading out right away...pink mags is on the purchase list too.
I was using Pink Mag's the other day, the Whites would come it and you could see them mouthing the w/w and then miss it, then turn and come in again and hit the line not the hook end then miss it, then come in sideways and miss it again, then vamoose. I was in 4 fow the fish were 2 ft below the ice, they would come back in slowly and just before it would inhale I would set the hook to early (Yips) & miss it ... frustrating.

I cut two 10" holes side-x-side & fish 2 rods both with 2 w/w's ..... Mr. White has 4 different patterns to choose from, in the afternoon no Pink Mag on my Red Glow Bead w/w, Mr. White would come straight in not even look at the other 3 colors and inhale the Red ones.

Fishin Tip ... another advantage of tipping your w/w with a Pink Mag is when your sight fishin in deeper or stained water you can clearly see were the hook end is, which helps when Mr White inhales it & you see it disappear then set the hook fast before it spits it out. The glow beads on my w/w's help me see the hook end of the presentation, similar to Pink Mag's.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
I was using Pink Mag's the other day, the Whites would come it and you could see them mouthing the w/w and then miss it, then turn and come in again and hit the line not the hook end then miss it, then come in sideways and miss it again, then vamoose. I was in 4 fow the fish were 2 ft below the ice, they would come back in slowly and just before it would inhale I would set the hook to early (Yips) & miss it ... frustrating.

I cut two 10" holes side-x-side & fish 2 rods both with 2 w/w's ..... Mr. White has 4 different patterns to choose from, in the afternoon no Pink Mag on my Red Glow Bead w/w, Mr. White would come straight in not even look at the other 3 colors and inhale the Red ones.

Fishin Tip ... another advantage of tipping your w/w with a Pink Mag is when your sight fishin in deeper or stained water you can clearly see were the hook end is, which helps when Mr White inhales it & you see it disappear then set the hook fast before it spits it out. The glow beads on my w/w's help me see the hook end of the presentation, similar to Pink Mag's.

D.

Great tips on making it visible. Could make the difference between one on the ice or going home skunked
Old 12-14-2020, 08:58 AM

Cool

Thx guys I got the last 2 packs at TFH! Had a hell of a time getting them to commit this weekend!!
Old 12-15-2020, 09:51 PM

Made a few like Scott was using the other day, Orange & Black (Trick = Sharpie) with White & other color beads , they work.

D.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 AM

Wink

Ok truth time....the wife is the manufacturer and your out testing product!

Old 12-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Ok truth time....the wife is the manufacturer and your out testing product!
Well she kinda supervises & help's with color selection idea's then tells me she enjoys my "Crafting" while she watches all those home improvement shows. She's enjoys eating or giving away all the fish I bring home, I can't eat fish or sea food, due to my allergies.

D.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:42 PM

Dec 16th … I had my chances, seen over 20 Whites today, got 2 Whites & 1 Walleye, should of had more, reflecting on what I need to do to improve my success, decided I need to swap out some of my floro, need to go lighter (4 lb) and remove one w/w going to try fishin just one per rod, whites were hitting the line not my w/w’s and didn’t come back hopefully these changes in technique will work.

D.

Brass – note it got hooked up on bottom lip.

Cat 6 Dark Brown.

Nice Walleye – Brass

Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Made some equipment changes that might improve my success and possibly yours.

One rod will have 6 lb floro with a flashy spoon on the bottom & w/w tied about 6-8" above.

One rod will still have 2 w/w's but 4 lb floro not 6, an experiment to see if lighter line makes any difference.

Two rods will have 4 lb floro & only 1 w/w not 2, had too many whites hit my line and didn't come back for another try.

Pic of my single w/w tied up with 4 lb, note the tag line goes back through the hook eye, that helps keep your w/w perfectly horizontal.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:50 PM

Dec 18th …. Sylvan, finally got 5 Whites is short order, these patterns worked for me today. I believe the equipment changes worked downsized my line and had a lot more hits & hook-ups.

D.

Was using a flashy spoon with a w/w tied just above it hit the spoon.

Candy Cane Yellow/Orange produced a number of Whites, including the biggest.

Copper color did very well, too.

Brass out produce all my other patterns got over 5 today on this w/w.

EDIT: There was no interest at all in my Cat 6 Brown w/w, that was a surprise.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-18-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:11 PM

Dec 19th ... Back out on Sylvan today, the Candy-Cane Yellow & Orange was hot at first light, then Brass was the breakfast & lunch bell, not one on red or brown nor a flutter spoon, later in the afternoon the Orange & Brown from Cat 6 computer cable with a Glow Bead shown below was the closer for a very successful day.

D.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:44 PM

Agreed on the candy cane glow bead. No pic but the brass bead scud pattern was deadly today as well.

Great day with great company and even got to watch the end of a fellow members frustration w/whites!!

Cheers,

Scott.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk