Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM

This is great! Keep them coming!

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2020, 06:53 PM

"What did you do in your reloading room today?"

While organizing things I found 4 boxes of factory 30-06 ammo and took it as my cue to immediately go to the computer and start looking for a 30-06 rifle.....then thought better of it and put the ammo in a bag to give to a friend tomorrow.......nipped that in the bud...LOL
Old 11-15-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post

While organizing things I found 4 boxes of factory 30-06 ammo and took it as my cue to immediately go to the computer and start looking for a 30-06 rifle.....then thought better of it and put the ammo in a bag to give to a friend tomorrow.......nipped that in the bud...LOL
Thats funny, I have this excellent condition Remington 742 in 30-06.....just sayin.....
Old 11-15-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:

While organizing things I found 4 boxes of factory 30-06 ammo and took it as my cue to immediately go to the computer and start looking for a 30-06 rifle.....then thought better of it and put the ammo in a bag to give today a friend tomorrow.......nipped that in the bud...LOL
Laughing! I can guarantee I have factory ammunition in my reloading room that I have never owned a rifle chambered for. Let alone currently own one for.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Laughing! I can guarantee I have factory ammunition in my reloading room that I have never owned a rifle chambered for. Let alone currently own one for.
Yeah,..you aren't kidding. I also found a box of 100 gr 6mm Remington and a box of 28 gauge......and a box of 17 WSM....where did that come from?
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 PM

The ammo fairy.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:

You were on the right track until the nipping part.
As you were!
Then we get a new thread about your new rifle and the groups it shoots with your factory ammo.
How can someone not own a 30-06???
Old 11-16-2020, 12:08 AM

I love this thread. I bought my reloading gear and love the ideas this thread gives me.

I have a question. Does reloading room temps play a role in performance? Im thinking about using my garage as my current house doesn’t have the room to dedicate a room or space to reloading. So if I did reloading in the garage in the spring, temps being 10-13 degrees, would I see a variable if I went to reload in said garage in the early summer with temps in the 18-22 degree range?

Im thinking yes since the explosion is fuelled by oxygen after initial spark. So if I reloaded in colder temps, oxygen is denser, so I would see a slightly faster load in this circumstance?

And if I my thinking right, does it even matter? I know in engines it matters. I just haven’t noticed this topic come up much. Humidity comes up for sure. Also issues with max loads and pressure (loading in cold and then firing in the summer). That last part suggests there may be some truth to the air ratio idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I love this thread. I bought my reloading gear and love the ideas this thread gives me.

I have a question. Does reloading room temps play a role in performance? Im thinking about using my garage as my current house doesn’t have the room to dedicate a room or space to reloading. So if I did reloading in the garage in the spring, temps being 10-13 degrees, would I see a variable if I went to reload in said garage in the early summer with temps in the 18-22 degree range?

Im thinking yes since the explosion is fuelled by oxygen after initial spark. So if I reloaded in colder temps, oxygen is denser, so I would see a slightly faster load in this circumstance?

And if I my thinking right, does it even matter? I know in engines it matters. I just haven’t noticed this topic come up much. Humidity comes up for sure. Also issues with max loads and pressure (loading in cold and then firing in the summer). That last part suggests there may be some truth to the air ratio idea...

In the big picture of things , no temperature of your loading room does not affect the performance of your ammo.
The temperature of your ammo at the time of firing has an effect on performance however, but for hunting it is not an issue, for long range match shooting , yes, but even then some disagree with this statement
Cat
Old 11-16-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:

From what I have read unlike black powder, smokeless powder created its own oxygen during combustion. The ambient air that is present while reloading should not make a bunch of difference.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Ahh...time for some smallness. Reloading precision .223rem tonight. Beginning with some annealing.

Followed by sizing...then trimming....

More to follow...
Old 11-16-2020, 09:25 PM

Thank you Cat & Berger!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Mounted the scope I repaired onto a nice 6.5x55 Brno (my new coyote rig) ....... Now just need to find the range under the snow so I can sight in.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Default 7mm-08 and broadheads

I loaded 50 7mm-08, 140 gr TSX, 42 gr of 4064. Decapped, sized and trimmed the rest of my 7mm-08 brass.
Also re-sharpened all the broadheads I shot this fall.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:45 AM

not much, took inventory of brass and supplies, looked at the mess and decided maybe tomorow I'll tidy it up, today I'll just cast some 44's and some 458's outside while it's still nice out.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Mounted a 10X J. Unertal, Vulture scope on a semi benchrest rifle in .222 Rem and an older Sako L46 action. That was an all day challenge to get it right. But was worth it.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:48 PM

A while back I bought 25lbs of once fired 38special
So been slowly processing it and loading some campro 158gr plated.
Loaded some more 358 Norma Mag with 200gr accubonds.
Some 357mag ready for some 158gr fire breathers
About it.
I think i have loaded close to 5000 rounds of 38 in the last few months. I still have a few buckets of brass to get threw.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Today I scrubbed the floor, did some vacuuming, dusting, & organizing.. Also prepped the dropper and press to do some 223 reloading. New for me on this round of reloading is a RCBS Competition Die Set and an Area419 aluminum reloading block. Looking forward to using both. Nice to see other set ups!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1ihe2c1gc2utn.jpeg (15.7 KB, 115 views)

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-19-2020, 08:50 PM

Finally rec'd a die I was waiting for, have to go dig around in storage for bullets and brass to load some 7-08 and 6.5, I think, I know where it is in there, and I think, it isn't too bad to access. I'll do that when I take another load over there, likely tomorrow. Can't think of a good reason for having taken that stuff over there, but, I apparently did it.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 AM

It’s -15c this morning. I had planned on going to the range. But it’s too damn cold!

...so...what’s a fella to do on a cold morning? Roll up some .357mag with 125gr XTP’s over 18.3gr of H-110.

On a side note, does anyone else notice the great variances in length of Starline virgin brass cases. This morning I decided to check a few out of an unopened package. The length varied from 1.235” to 1.295”. Oh well...I will adjust as always.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:37 PM

I built my reloading bench today! Went to setup my press... and the handle is missing from the box. I contacted Lyman, let’s see what they do!

The garage floor is not level, so I had to move the left leg inwards to achieve level on all angles. It’s anchored to the studs via stud screws so it’s going nowhere.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I built my reloading bench today! Went to setup my press... and the handle is missing from the box. I contacted Lyman, let’s see what they do!

The garage floor is not level, so I had to move the left leg inwards to achieve level on all angles. It’s anchored to the studs via stud screws so it’s going nowhere.

What is this that I circled in yellow?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What is this that I circled in yellow?

It’s a tube for the primer feeder. I don’t completely understand why it would need a secondary covering after the fact; but it’s definitely not the handle. It lacks the threads for the lock nut.

I thought it was it too for a while

Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 PM

The tube on the right is what you have circled

Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 PM

Played with my new toy. Rolled up some .223rem with BLC-2 and 69gr SMK’s.

it’s the white thingy in the middle. Pic is just for reference. That’s last night with some .357mag stuff.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:42 PM

Nice!

-Billy Molls
Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Added a couple more 8 lb. jugs of powder to the hoard. Annealed and full length resized, trimmed 50 old fired and reloaded I don't know how many times cases to use in a new rifle which I bought new cases for but am too cheap to use yet.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Sunday in the loading room...

I thought I would document what I did today. I shot a hundred and one .44mag cartridges yesterday. And today, I’ll reload them.

For time and space savings, I won’t show the first two steps. They were de-capping the cases (Kids...that’s when you remove the spent primers). And then into the wet tumbler for two hours. Then on the drying tray for another two hours.

Step 1. The cases need to be sized back to spec. After they fire, they expand. Here’s a picture of a fired case before full length sizing in a case gauge.

Full length sizing....

And the resulting resized case in the case guage for reference...

Step 2. Full length sizing stretches the case. So trimming to the proper length is next. In this instance, the case length should be approximately 1.2790”. It is very important to get all of your cases pretty close to the same length. This is because when you crimp the case, your crimping die can give a consistent crimp (without having to mess around adjusting the die for differing length cases).

Trimming step...

Step 3. Next the case neck needs to be flared open slightly to accept a bullet easily so you can seat it into the case. Here’s a picture after the neck on this case has been flared open.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:09 PM

Step 4. The next step is putting new primers into the cases. Pretty self explanatory...

Step 5. Time to charge the case with powder. In this case, 22.0gr of H-110. Time for fun with my new toy!

Step 6. Time to seat the bullet in the case. Here, we want to seat it so the over all length (OAL) is right around 1.600”.

Step 7. The last step involves giving the case a crimp at the top. This is so the bullet doesn’t shift in the case. In my case, I’m shooting these out of a tube fed lever gun. There’s 10 in the magazine stacked head to base. You don’t want that bullet moving during recoil when shooting. What I do after I seat the bullet is feel the case edge. It should feel “sharp”. Then I crimp and feel it again. It should be smooth with the edge being crimped.

Sorry, this is probably hard to see that crimp.

And that is the final product. A .44 magnum cartridge ready to shoot. And do you remember that picture at the beginning? That fired case that didn’t fit into the case guage? Here’s the final product in the case guage that shows a perfect fit and length.

Btw, this is what I shoot these out of...

Marlin 1894 with the 20” barrel.

So this load gives really good performance. Using H-110 powder means you’re loading close to maximum. The characteristic of this powder is either all or nothing. Well, sort of.

I started with a charge weight of 23.5gr. The speeds I was getting were just over 1700fps. A stout load. A bear load. Hard on the shoulder load. Kind of hard on the gun too.

So I decided to lighten it up a bit. I now load 22.0gr with the 240gr XTP bullet. Velocity is now around 1660fps. Still a really good bear load. Still kind of hard on my shoulder when shooting around a hundred rounds a trip.

I am thinking of getting some lighter bullets and loading down with some .44 special rounds for plinking.

Last edited by 6MT; 12-06-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:05 PM

put up a shelf for my mini fridge.
sorted through a bunch more boxes of my buddy's estate sale stuff to get ready to sell.
necked up a cartridge to see if i'm gonna build another goofy cartridge to be different. again.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.