Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2020, 05:53 PM

Default Federal Terminal Ascent 6.5 Inconsistent Head Spacing

Anyone have any issues with some Federal Terminal Ascent 6.5 Creedmore (or any other calibre of Terminal Ascent) rounds not allowing their bolt to close (or to be extremely tight on closing the bolt on a fresh round) because something in the cartridge is not the correct size?

Out of 4 boxes of 130 grain 6.5 Creedmore, I've had 0, 4, 2, and 2 rounds that will not load in my brand new Savage 110 Tactical Ridge Warrior.

Here's what I know:
- The main culprit is the head-to-shoulder length (what some might call "head spacing" which is kind of a misnomer but hopefully you get what I mean)
- It's not the case overall length (OAL), they are within spec, all measuring about 1.91 (some slightly less) and never exceeding 1.915
- It's not the diameter of the case (measured at multiple points), they are all similar and within spec and all 80 rounds go into and out of the chamber fine without using the bolt.
- It's not the bullet itself, because it's not touching the lands/grooves and also they go in and out of the chamber fine without using the bolt.

So why is there so much inconsistency in the so-called "head-spacing" datum of what is supposed to be premium factory ammo? Do you think my head spacing on the rifle might be too short? I think that's unlikely given Savage's reputation for correct head spacing, but I currently don't have a perfect way to measure the true head spacing on the rifle itself. Do you think it could be the thickness of the nickel plating on the case at the shoulder?

Depending on feedback I don't know whether to blame it on the rifle head spacing or maybe there is a QC issue at the Federal factory for head-to-shoulder datum length.

One more thing, there are no lot numbers or anything else identifying on the boxes. Same with some Fusion 300WSM 165 grain I have, no lot number in the white space in the top left of the back of the box. Shouldn't they be stamping lot numbers on the boxes???

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by HuntWithABrittany; 11-06-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:06 PM

There of course min and max standards . Without knowing if the rifle has a tight chamber regarding headspace kinda grasping at straws . That is why there are precision ground headspace gauges
Old 11-07-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
There of course min and max standards . Without knowing if the rifle has a tight chamber regarding headspace kinda grasping at straws . That is why there are precision ground headspace gauges
One thing for sure though, if the ammo was consistent they would either all go in, or none would go in.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:13 AM

Have you had this issue with a different brand of ammo ?

Last edited by fps plus; 11-07-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Possibly a maximum case in a minimum chamber. Everything is built within a set of acceptable tolerances. Are you pulling COAL specs for that particular bullet or just a similar one the same weight? The more important measurement is actually CBTO (cartridge base to ogive) for seating depth, but I think most factory ammo with VLD style bullets is made with a big enough jump to the lands to load in most chambers and magazines.

With a tapered case, its not really in the chamber unless you close the bolt on it. Can you remove the extractor and close the bolt, then see if the case drops out or is stuck? If it sticks, its more likely a bullet seating depth issue, if not its more likely a tight chamber/over length case.

If you have access to a set of hornady headspace comparators you can get good enough comparative measurements between fired and unfired cases to see if case length/headspace is the issue. If it truly is a tight chamber that should be an easy enough fix on a savage for a gunsmith.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:14 PM

I’m using federal terminal accent ammo in my 270win and no issues at all
Old 11-07-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
^
This

I would get a set of Go / No-Go gauges or take it to a smith that has a set. This will let you know if your headspace is in spec. Pretty easy to do if you remove the ejector plunger with a small drift punch. In the past I have purchased gauges from Brownells with good success. If it is in spec, I would suspect the chamber is on the tight end of the tolerance and maybe a different brand of ammunition would work better for you.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntWithABrittany View Post
One thing for sure though, if the ammo was consistent they would either all go in, or none would go in.
This. Try a different brand of ammo.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:30 PM

Default Lot

Not even lot numbers inside the flaps? Should you find them, call them in. They should be there