Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Over the years they have been spotted/shot up here and in the Conklin area .
There is a mount in the F&W office up here that was shot by an archer at House River IIRC
Cat
If grizzlies are being seen around Conklin and Cold Lake, that begs the question as to how many are wandering around the less travelled areas of northern Saskatchewan.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
East of Conklin, Christina Lake.
PM sent
Old 09-12-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Pffffft... ya right
Yup...they are spotted with regularity in the Sweetgrass Hills of N Montana all the time. One was spotted, photographed and a news story done about it 2-3 months ago in the farmland of Northern Mont., as the crow flies very close to the Cypress Hills of AB/SK.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Default grizz

David Thompson our greatest Canadian explorer never mentioned seeing grizzly bears on prairie land. He only refers to them in his detailed journals when he is in the mountains.
Mentioned before but my neighbour that services gas wells on Kakwa south of GP said ne Only had `50 grizz sightings so far this year. Guess bears are moving East to new digs.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
David Thompson our greatest Canadian explorer never mentioned seeing grizzly bears on prairie land. He only refers to them in his detailed journals when he is in the mountains.
Mentioned before but my neighbour that services gas wells on Kakwa south of GP said ne Only had `50 grizz sightings so far this year. Guess bears are moving East to new digs.
History has sited numerous Grizz on the prairies, they've been documented by Henry Kelsey, Lewis and Clark, Theodore Roosevelt, you name it. Plains Grizz to be sure (a sub-species) but Grizz nonetheless.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
Access road to Winifred Lake from Grist Lake WMU 517. They have also been known to periodically inhabit Cold Lake Air weapons Range WMU 726, although it is typically more common to see black bear.
Pretty much where we seen ours tear across the road right in front of us as we rounded a bend in the road.

Coming from Conklin, down the road towards Winefred, after the Y there the road widens and the trees are cut back a fair ways.

Ran across the road and didn't stop to even glance back at us. Got a good look at him. Wasn't brown color phase on a black, it was grizz.

Pretty Cool.

Last edited by EZM; 09-12-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
If grizzlies are being seen around Conklin and Cold Lake, that begs the question as to how many are wandering around the less travelled areas of northern Saskatchewan.
I'd say it's likely they are already moving that way. Animals move and migrate.

As someone mentioned, Grizzlies aren't tied to the mountains and foothills, if they have a food source and cover they will keep moving east. I don't see one good reason they wouldn't (biologically speaking) in terms of food, habitat, etc..

There's a few people on here who have seen them in that Conklin / Christina Lake / Winfefred area and a another few people I know in the area that say the same thing.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:33 PM

I’m not saying there isn’t grizz around winifred, but I have been working in the area for the last 4 years and I have never seen one. I took this picture just north of the Kirby airport this spring and there were a few guys in the truck that were sure that it was a grizz.

He was just a nice coloured black bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2020, 11:12 PM

Tis the season.......bumpidy bumb.