Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Remington 700 BDL Info

I recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL Mountain Edition in .270 from my neighbor. I'm looking for someone that knows these rifles well and could maybe appraise the value and do a once over it before I go and sight it in. Any info or recommendations would be extremely helpful. According to the two letter stamp on the barrel it was made in February 1977.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Depending on condition that rifle should bring 700.00-$900.00 in todays market. Fair Value.
To some it could be worth more than that.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm Bamm View Post
I recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL Mountain Edition in .270 from my neighbor. I'm looking for someone that knows these rifles well and could maybe appraise the value and do a once over it before I go and sight it in. Any info or recommendations would be extremely helpful. According to the two letter stamp on the barrel it was made in February 1977.

I have 2 BDL's of similar age. Early to mid 80's. Good rifles. Mine aren't the lighter mountain type. I change out the OEM triggers for TriggerTechs, strip the lacquer and go to an oil finish because I don't care for shiny stocks.

Depending on chambering, some are more in demand i.e. 7mm, they're worth what someone will pay, but ballpark $750 on the low side up to 1,000 on the high in a popular clambering will get you close.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:29 PM

What is the 2 letter stamp?

Remington introduced the Mountain Rifle in 1986.

The year code (second letter) for 1977 is O

Pics?

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/
Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I have 2 BDL's of similar age. Early to mid 80's. Good rifles. Mine aren't the lighter mountain type. I change out the OEM triggers for TriggerTechs, strip the lacquer and go to an oil finish because I don't care for shiny stocks.

Depending on chambering, some are more in demand i.e. 7mm, they're worth what someone will pay, but ballpark $750 on the low side up to 1,000 on the high in a popular clambering will get you close.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Watco Danish Oil?
Old 10-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Watco Danish Oil?

Uhh. No. More of a craftsman.

I save up the stuff from tuna cans and blend it in with refrigerated bacon grease. Makes a great attractant for bears and cougar.

I figure if I can't Shoot lunch I might as well Become lunch.

Last edited by 270person; 10-06-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 PM

DP

Last edited by 270person; 10-06-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Double post - please delete
Old 10-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Uhh. No. More of a craftsman.

I save up the stuff from tuna cans and blend it in with refrigerated bacon grease. Makes a great attractant for bears and cougar.

I figure if I can't Shoot lunch I might as well Become lunch.
SNS is scratching his head right now .........
Old 10-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
SNS is scratching his head right now .........

Shouldn't take long then.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Default 700

Just got this one this summer. In 17Rem. I had a nice Nikon scope on it but the Rem made it go wacky so I put this Cabelas on it till I can find something decent in a Leupold.

Can anyone tell me what the dates are on this one? I can’t make sense of the info on the Remington club info on the link above. In case you can’t make them out on the pic, the #’s on the barrel are EB 12 and the numbers on the breech are B6292163
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E49EFD13-D3DC-48BE-B197-C6F195A222EF.jpg (6.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpeg 21FEF9A8-4648-44EC-8124-ECF464D0B166.jpeg (24.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:07 PM

E is October, B is 1981. The B serial number prefix started in 80-81 and that was also the same time they went to the skip line checkering.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Not really clear but the year code looks like a B which is 1981. The B serial number prefix started in 80-81 and that was also the same time they went to the skip line checkering.

Thank you for that!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Default Rem 700 value

Just sold a Rem 700 stainless/laminated stock in 270 win absolutely mint condition,1992 production 1130.00 shipped
|the other was a 700 lh CDL in 3006 unfired 1000.00 2012 production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040357.JPG (164.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1040392.JPG (179.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 AM

According to Remington the 700 LSS Left Hand was made from 1998 to 2004.

Nice rifle and actually quite rare in a lefty.

https://www.remington.com/firearm-hi...el-700-history
Old 10-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm Bamm View Post
If you're planning on keeping and shooting it I would highly recommend you get rid of that silly trapdoor whatchyamacallit and put in a Kwik Klip assembly. This gives you a removable 4 round magazine. Not only quicker and easier to load and unload but safer too!

That was the first thing I put on my Remington 700 when I bought it. The second was a Timney trigger.

The Kwik Klip assembly is not hard to install. I did my own. I did have to do a tiny bit of filing on the front end of the magazines (I bought a second one) so the bullets would feed smoothly. This is the second one I've helped install and both went very well.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 AM

I have a BDL in LH 7 Rem mag that I bought in May, 1978. This was the first year the LH BDL was available up here in Canada. Cost at the time was $300. It was the first gun I ever owned or shot that would literally put 5 shots in the same hole. Load was WW brass, 162 Hornady BTSP Match bullets , military surplus 4831 powder before it was H or IMR and CCI 250 primers. Younger guys will have no idea just how hard it was to find any gun that would shoot under 1 MOA back then, and factory ammo was considered just fine if it would do 2 MOA. I killed a lot of game over the years with that gun, one of those that will never get sold.

They are a great gun and you will be very happy with yours. My bet is it will be a great shooter too. Mine still has the hinged floor plate, never found it any kind of a hindrance, as well as the factory trigger.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
According to Remington the 700 LSS Left Hand was made from 1998 to 2004.

Nice rifle and actually quite rare in a lefty.

https://www.remington.com/firearm-hi...el-700-history

They are quite rare. I have a 7 RUM LH I bought new in 2002. With the grey/black laminated stock they are a really nice looking rifle and they shoot well too. If you find any used I would definitely pick it up for a donor action as LH stainless actions are few and far between in any make of gun.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
They are quite rare. I have a 7 RUM LH I bought new in 2002. With the grey/black laminated stock they are a really nice looking rifle and they shoot well too. If you find any used I would definitely pick it up for a donor action as LH stainless actions are few and far between in any make of gun.
I was gifted a lefty LSS in 300 WinMag by my neighbour. Beautiful rifle, shoots very well, but really heavy - 10 lbs scoped. I will never sell this one.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I was gifted a lefty LSS in 300 WinMag by my neighbour. Beautiful rifle, shoots very well, but really heavy - 10 lbs scoped. I will never sell this one.

They are heavy, but with the 7 RUM i still added a Mercury Suppressor and a Pachmeyer recoil pad. That 7 RUM is a more viscous kick by far than any other gun I ever shot, short of a 460 Bee. It was like a sharp punch, even with the heavy rifle. Ten shots and you would have a headache. The Mercury insert really tamed it down. In the 300 Mag is should be a very pleasant shooting rifle.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I got my hands on mid 90s production LSS.. not a scratch in the wood.. 300 win mag as well. Feels like im shooting a 270 xbolt , with 200gr eldx in the 300winnie
Old 10-07-2020, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=CptnBlues63;4244125]If you're planning on keeping and shooting it I would highly recommend you get rid of that silly trapdoor whatchyamacallit and put in a Kwik Klip assembly. This gives you a removable 4 round magazine. Not only quicker and easier to load and unload but safer too!

That was the first thing I put on my Remington 700 when I bought it. The second was a Timney trigger.

The Kwik Klip assembly is not hard to install. I did my own. I did have to do a tiny bit of filing on the front end of the magazines (I bought a second one) so the bullets would feed smoothly. This is the second one I've helped install and both went very well.

I prefer a floor plate so I would try it first before I started modifying. I’ll leave the removable thingys for rimfires and budget guns.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
I prefer a floor plate so I would try it first before I started modifying. I’ll leave the removable thingys for rimfires and budget guns.

I can't imagine why.

While you're plugging rounds in through the top (while working around your scope) I'm already loaded and sighting in. When it comes to unloading I drop the mag and slide the bolt back slowly and the chambered round falls into my hand. What could be simpler (and safer)?

What do you find better about it?

I mentioned it because surprisingly, there are a lot of people who aren't aware how easily you can install a removable magazine in a Remington 700.

***William Henley***
Old 10-10-2020, 03:52 PM

The Remington 700 is probably the most customized bolt action rifle out there. There are a ton of aftermarket parts that one can obtain.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
I can't imagine why.

While you're plugging rounds in through the top (while working around your scope) I'm already loaded and sighting in. When it comes to unloading I drop the mag and slide the bolt back slowly and the chambered round falls into my hand. What could be simpler (and safer)?

What do you find better about it?

I mentioned it because surprisingly, there are a lot of people who aren't aware how easily you can install a removable magazine in a Remington 700.

Pretty tough to leave a floorplate behind. Can't be left on the counter 50 miles away

Easiest to load a rifle with a floorplate is to turn it upside down open the floorplate dump in your loaded rounds close the floorplate.

Unloading clear chamber open floorplate in your hand.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
Pretty tough to leave a floorplate behind. Can't be left on the counter 50 miles away

Easiest to load a rifle with a floorplate is to turn it upside down open the floorplate dump in your loaded rounds close the floorplate.

Well, I'm going to risk the revenge of Murphy and tell you the honest truth......I've never lost a magazine or left one behind anywhere in my life.

I have a very nice "duty" belt I wear out hunting that holds not only my knife and flashlight but also has a WWII era 'mauser' clip pouch. It's a two pouch unit and each pouch handily holds two of my magazines. (I have a Savage 99 C with removable mag as well as my Remington). I put Savage mag's in one pouch and my spare Remington mag in the other. The mag I'm using goes in my jacket pocket for quick access. So I always have two mags for each rifle on me at all times (Savage 99C is in back seat encased in case I ever need it, or just decide I want to use it).

For unloading, I just press the release, the mag drops into my palm, I curl my fingers up over the ejection port and slide the bolt back and the chambered round drops into my hand beside the mag.

FWIW, I prep my mags and belt in advance then hang it on the peg where my hunting gear hangs so everything is always ready to go. I don't empty the mags or put them away until I'm done for the year.

I'm a firm believer in each to their own and if using the trapdoor makes you happy then all the power to you. Still, you can't argue that flipping your rifle upside down and opening the trapdoor, then dropping in shells, closing the trapdoor, then flipping your rifle upright is a lot slower than me just popping a mag in.

Oh, I have dropped a mag in the snow. But I'm sure you've probably dropped shells in the snow too at one time or another in your life. The only difference I can see is, I have to take my shells out of the mag to wipe them, and the mag dry...then put them back in.

***William Henley***
Old 10-11-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Floorplates

I like floorplates. But I have a good friend who loads his as you suggested and I’ve seen it jam up twice now, at important moments. As the magazine is a staggered setup follower, you never truly know if they sat in the box on the follower correctly unless you bottom load and then confirm placement by opening the bolt.
But with magazines, if you forget it at home or lose it in the bush, its still a rifle, its just a Ruger #1 now, lol.

QUOTE=357Maximum;4245889]Pretty tough to leave a floorplate behind. Can't be left on the counter 50 miles away

Unloading clear chamber open floorplate in your hand.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I like floorplates. But I have a good friend who loads his as you suggested and I’ve seen it jam up twice now, at important moments. As the magazine is a staggered setup follower, you never truly know if they sat in the box on the follower correctly unless you bottom load and then confirm placement by opening the bolt.
But with magazines, if you forget it at home or lose it in the bush, its still a rifle, its just a Ruger #1 now, lol.

QUOTE=357Maximum;4245889]Pretty tough to leave a floorplate behind. Can't be left on the counter 50 miles away

I have loaded rifles with hinged floorplates through the floorplate for over 40 years without an issue. You just have to realize that the first round has to go to the proper side of the magazine. As long as you place the first round on the correct side, the last round will sit properly on the follower. I have used the Kwik Klip, some feed well, some don't, the quality is not great.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-11-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have loaded rifles with hinged floorplates through the floorplate for over 40 years without an issue. You just have to realize that the first round has to go to the proper side of the magazine. As long as you place the first round on the correct side, the last round will sit properly on the follower. I have used the Kwik Klip, some feed well, some don't, the quality is not great.
That's where a guy has to do some touching up on his own. With my 700 I had to file the front of both mag a wee bit and all rounds now load perfectly.

With my friends 700, we had to put a shim in when installing the Kwik Klip and then everything fit together perfectly and his shells fed nicely without any touch ups on the mags.

***William Henley***