Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 03:40 PM

SageValley,
That is absolutely amazing
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 PM

Awesome story, great mule deer!

LC
Old 10-07-2020, 04:13 PM

SageValley, that is an outstanding story.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Default 2020 Archery Harvest Thread

Managed to fill my tag for mule deer last weekend

Old 10-08-2020, 10:45 AM

That’s a kick ***** buck Thrillbilly!! Sweet!
Old 10-08-2020, 11:07 AM

Nice one, Thrillbilly!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:29 PM

Another congrats to everyone. Some awesome animals and awesome memories. All I've got so far are half a dozen grouse, but I'll find that buck!

Old 10-09-2020, 12:33 PM

Nice job on the grouse, Magoonpointboy! That's more than I have gotten with the .22 this year.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Prdtrgttr;4242926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Congrats to all on their successful harvests. Momma and I will be eating well this winter. Poked him at 47yards with a jak hammer, he dropped 100 yards later.

Awesome work man! Beautiful bull! I am always amazed at how well those Wasp Jak Hammers work! Always the same result...big holes and wide prolific blood trails!
Thanks for posting the pic!

Absolutely man. I’ve never had one fail or let me down. They fly true and hit hard. Have had many pass throughs with them and like you said.. they downright work.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:46 PM

It started with a mellow cow call. Sitting on the edge of a tree island knowing that this bull had gotten to the tree island upwind of me. It seemed like forever but it wasn’t more then 5 minutes and he comes out of the bush on the search. Heading straight for me he gets closer first 100, then 80, and he ends up 20 yards away.
Stopping at 20 just inside the trees I hesitated wanting to wait for the rest of the hunting party and not sure if this was THE bull. He disappeared into the bush.
Wanting a second look I quickly made an effort to cut him off before he got through the island, getting into position a couple low bull grunts and he starts heading toward me thrashing brush and making his presence known. slowly making his way to 10 yards away he stops and turns broadside. A great shot
Trying to capitalize on the opportunity I set the camera down and attempted to draw my bow. No luck. He seen the movement and darted away from me.
It was in this moment I realized what I had just encountered and knew that this was the bull. Forgetting all thoughts on antler size and knowing he was a mature bull I got the edge of the island and waited for him to make his move to get downwind and figure out what I was. He made his way to the edge of the trees stepped out and stood perfectly broadside.
I drew back and settled my 30yrd pin on him, this was it, with the pull of my release the arrow flew true and hit its mark. THWACK. A perfect hit, right behind the shoulder a certain double lunger. A quick humane death. He ran away and crashed into the trees. I waited and started to approach him. Getting to 5 yards I realized he was still breathing, laying on his stomach I tried to get an arrow in him but hit shoulder blade. Finally I hit my mark and he drew his last breathe.
A breathe that I am very grateful for, a breathe that meant 340lbs of meat in the freezer for myself, my friends and family. God is good.
My first bull moose and archery moose.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJay View Post
It started with a mellow cow call. Sitting on the edge of a tree island knowing that this bull had gotten to the tree island upwind of me. It seemed like forever but it wasn’t more then 5 minutes and he comes out of the bush on the search. Heading straight for me he gets closer first 100, then 80, and he ends up 20 yards away.
Stopping at 20 just inside the trees I hesitated wanting to wait for the rest of the hunting party and not sure if this was THE bull. He disappeared into the bush.
Wanting a second look I quickly made an effort to cut him off before he got through the island, getting into position a couple low bull grunts and he starts heading toward me thrashing brush and making his presence known. slowly making his way to 10 yards away he stops and turns broadside. A great shot
Trying to capitalize on the opportunity I set the camera down and attempted to draw my bow. No luck. He seen the movement and darted away from me.
It was in this moment I realized what I had just encountered and knew that this was the bull. Forgetting all thoughts on antler size and knowing he was a mature bull I got the edge of the island and waited for him to make his move to get downwind and figure out what I was. He made his way to the edge of the trees stepped out and stood perfectly broadside.
I drew back and settled my 30yrd pin on him, this was it, with the pull of my release the arrow flew true and hit its mark. THWACK. A perfect hit, right behind the shoulder a certain double lunger. A quick humane death. He ran away and crashed into the trees. I waited and started to approach him. Getting to 5 yards I realized he was still breathing, laying on his stomach I tried to get an arrow in him but hit shoulder blade. Finally I hit my mark and he drew his last breathe.
A breathe that I am very grateful for, a breathe that meant 340lbs of meat in the freezer for myself, my friends and family. God is good.
My first bull moose and archery moose.
That's a great moose and a great story. Congrats ChefJay!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Finally

Awesome moose, ChefJay!
I have struggled this year, but finally filled a supplemental tag yesterday. At least the freezer won't be empty!

Old 10-20-2020, 06:41 PM

Really nice animals going down this year. Congratulations
to all.

From all the images of hoof to feather, the stories and pictures

the words for the hunting take me there. Thank you.

A blessed winter holiday to you all.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:08 PM

Well done everyone. Thanks for the shares
Old 10-23-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Had a pretty good day. My 78 year old grandfather got the biggest 5x5 I've ever personally seen and a friend got his first archery animal ever. Bulls died 60 yards apart

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Well done,I have seen several Elk like your 5 point in 6 point zones. I don't think they will ever be 6 pointers.

Last edited by buckman; 10-23-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:49 AM

Let’s not let this thread die just yet!! Hopefully there are others still hitting the woods, bow in hand!
Old 11-07-2020, 06:05 AM

Old 11-07-2020, 06:47 AM

Duck Yea!!

I couldn’t not...
Old 11-13-2020, 04:00 PM

Default Calgary Bowzone Buck

I was able to rattle in and arrow a unique looking 7X5 whitetail on remembrance day. My 80 year old dad was with me and was quite the work horse quartering and hauling the buck back to the truck. The shot looks way back but that is the exit hole. It was a 25 yard slightly quartering towards me shot. Complete passthrough hitting the lungs and liver made for an easy 80 yard recovery. I am a lucky man to have such an understanding wife and even luckier to still be able to hunt with my dad. Hopefully this weekend I can rattle him in a buck.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I was able to rattle in and arrow a unique looking 7X5 whitetail on remembrance day. My 80 year old dad was with me and was quite the work horse quartering and hauling the buck back to the truck. The shot looks way back but that is the exit hole. It was a 25 yard slightly quartering towards me shot. Complete passthrough hitting the lungs and liver made for an easy 80 yard recovery. I am a lucky man to have such an understanding wife and even luckier to still be able to hunt with my dad. Hopefully this weekend I can rattle him in a buck.
Nice

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Very cool to see your dad still out there with you! Priceless.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:08 PM

Undersubscribed tag filled today

Old 11-15-2020, 10:14 PM

Managed to kill this buck today. Hunted him last year to no avail. Got trail cam picts of him this summer but couldn't pattern him. Had him at 17 yards Nov 6th and he busted me. He was hot on a doe today and she led him right to me.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:52 AM

Awesome Whitetail KyleSS especially with a bow !
Old 11-16-2020, 08:45 AM

KyleSS, that’s a beauty of a buck
Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
What a great day with your Dad! Awesome.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Managed to kill this buck today. Hunted him last year to no avail. Got trail cam picts of him this summer but couldn't pattern him. Had him at 17 yards Nov 6th and he busted me. He was hot on a doe today and she led him right to me.

Wow! Great deer! Congrats.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:15 AM

Default Undersubscribed

That one will be great eating, CNP! Congrats.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:43 AM

Finally got this hog that I've been chasing for the last few seasons. Had a few opportunities/close encounters last year and earlier this season. He came busting into my treestand range chasing a hot doe.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:55 PM

Beauty. Congrats!