Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 03:32 PM

Default Looking for help on Sighting in A New Scope tips

This is the First time I mounted a new Vortex 4-16-42 on my remington .308 150g bullets using Burris weaver style rings on the factory base and had it bore sighted at the indoor range. I mounted the scope as per manufacturers reccomendations.

I put on new scope because I couldnt hit paper with the cheapy old one it came with and I'm a pretty good shot.

I dialed my Windage all the way. At 40y it was off a few inchs after the bore sight and I was able to bring it to within 1 to a couple inches of center target after adjusting the turrets on the scope. Had to do allot of adjusting.

Groupings are not consistent, some off a couple inches at only 40 yards, but this was after about 30 rounds of trying and was getting fatigued.

I expected to have tighter groupings to say the least at close range, is there an obvious mistake in my set up?

I want to take it outdoors to 100y and start over but its getting expensive and seems I have a fundamental all wrong. Gun problem maybe?

What else am I doing wrong?

How do you go about the process?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

https://www.vortexcanada.net/how-to-videos

ensure everything it tight on the rifle, bases, scope etc....I bore sight at 25 yards...pop a few shots...out to 50...repeat....then out to 100....stable platfom to shoot off of is critical....hard to see whats going on but others will assist you too...good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 10-08-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:50 PM

I put up a target at 100 yards/meters, place the rifle on my rest and bags, remove the bolt from the rifle, then look down the bore and center the target in the bore. Then I center the crosshairs on the center of the target, while verifying that the target is still centered in the bore. I install the bolt, shoot one shot, verify the impact on the target, and adjust the scope to where I want it, whether it's dead center or a certain distance above dead center. I shoot three shots, then do my fine scope adjustment. I let the barrel cool, then fire three shots to verify zero. One mistake that people make is adjusting the scope after every shot, and chasing the zero around the target. Another mistake is not moving the scope adjustment the correct amount, usually because they don't know how many clicks to move the scope to move the point of impact to where they want it. Another mistake is heating up the barrel, and having the point of impact move due to the heat.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 AM

Have you read what is in the owners manual for the scope?

It’ll look like this:

There are no absolutes
Old 10-09-2020, 06:15 AM

You also mentioned that with one scope she was wondering and then you install another with pretty much the same results....hmmmm....it ain't the scopes....make thing tight and right as I said earlier then follow the many sight in directions....

Old 10-09-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You also mentioned that with one scope she was wondering and then you install another with pretty much the same results....hmmmm....it ain't the scopes....make thing tight and right as I said earlier then follow the many sight in directions....
If the results were similar with two scopes, and the base and rings are tight, inconsistent groups are either the load, or more likely operator error. If the groups are just larger than expected, look at the load, if they are changing location especially left to right, then I suspect operator error, either a flinch, or poor form pulling the trigger, or even a poor , or inconsistent rest. I have seen people rest the rifle on the barrel, instead of the fore end, or have side pressure on the rest, and both can cause issues.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the results were similar with two scopes, and the base and rings are tight, inconsistent groups are either the load, or more likely operator error. If the groups are just larger than expected, look at the load, if they are changing location especially left to right, then I suspect operator error, either a flinch, or poor form pulling the trigger, or even a poor , or inconsistent rest. I have seen people rest the rifle on the barrel, instead of the fore end, or have side pressure on the rest, and both can cause issues.
yup...sometimes the smallest things can make people chase a demon that really never was there....I say just break it down to simple stupid and go through the checklists...maybe have another set of eyes to...been embarrassed a few times as the most obvious was picked up right away.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:44 PM

Default Two shot sight in

Use a pedestal and rear bag, or a bipod and rear bag. Take a 2’X2’ cardboard and mark a target dot with a Sharpie. Set crosshairs on Sharpie target dot. Make sure to avoid putting stress or pull into rifle. Take the shot. Put rifle back on Sharpie target and carefully “walk” crosshair to bullet hole you just put in target. It really is that easy.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:35 PM

It’s time to have a experienced shooter help you, if at all possible. Maybe someone from the forum would help you.

You mentioned the cost and having used 30 rounds. The short range sight in might require 10 rounds but usually more like 6.
Then you should be getting further out and shooting groups to fine tune.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:30 PM

I amgoing to assume you are a good shot like you say. Here is what I would do. Take the scope off of the rifle. Remove the bases. Get some rubbing alcohol or brake clean. What ever you use you want to degrease all the parts that areinvoled here. First wipe the action clean where the bases mount with degreaser. Then wipe the bases clean too usingthe degreaser. Now mount the bases back on your rifle. You should really have an inch pound torque screw driver for this. I believe the screws are to be torqued to 18-20 inch pounds. Now make sure your rings are seperate from your scope and clean your rings. Clean your whole rings not just where the scope sits. Now mount the bottom half of the rings to the bases and torque to the specs in your rings. Now clean the scope tube by wiping it with degreaser. Set it in the bottom half of the rings and set the top half of the cleaned ring in place. Put your screws in to hold the scope but do not tighten yet. Turn your scope to its highest setting and look through it. Adjust it so you do not have to climb up the stock to get your full field of view through the scope.At this time you can also adjust the scope so your cross hairs are level. Then carefully set rifle down and tighten scope screws to spec which is about 25-28 inch pounds. Tighten your screws a little at a time in a criss cross pattern.

I kope this helps. On a sde noteI try to get vertical cross hair to run through the center of the bolt.To make your scope truly square to the rifle you will need a scope leveling kit. Good luck and safe shooting.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Save some ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
It’s time to have a experienced shooter help you, if at all possible. Maybe someone from the forum would help you.

You mentioned the cost and having used 30 rounds. The short range sight in might require 10 rounds but usually more like 6.
Then you should be getting further out and shooting groups to fine tune.
I just did this and it took 2 rounds to get "mostly" sighted in.

First I bore-sighted. Took one shot at 25 yards on a big piece of cardboard, it was 4 inches high so I clicked 64 down (1/4" at 100 yds = 1/16" at 25 yards, therefore 4" at 25 yards = 64 clicks). Next shot at 100 yards was high and left, did the adjustments and then shot a group to confirm. I guess if you count the small adjustment after that it took 5 rounds.