Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Building priority points for non hunting children

Does anyone put their children in for priority only draws to build their priority with the hope that they may "come around" later?

My daughter has always been into hunting and just turned 12. I had always planned to put in for her draws ASAP when she was old enough but also assumed she would want to hunt.

This year when I asked if she wanted to do her hunters training and put her draws in she pretty much said she has no interest in hunting. She has nothing against it and loves the meat but doesn't feel like hunting this year.

This got me thinking...This is probably a phase but if it lasts a few years, it would be nice to have some priority built up. I have been thinking about starting to build priority for her, not applying for actual draws taking tags away from hunters but just building points.

I have a feeling come hunting season she is going to want to go out but by then it will be too late for this year as she also doesn't want to go to the range.

She's 12 so she might change her mind before next years draws anyways (or not) Just wondering if anyone else does this or what your thoughts are.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:57 AM

You can’t build a priority in hunting draws without having taken the hunter training course first and collected a “hunting endorsement” is my understanding.

LC
Old 09-08-2020, 10:58 AM

I know that I would do it; mind you, I only have one that hasn't completed the course, so she can't build priority until she does, anyhow. But if she did, I'd build her priority - but she would have to pick the draws she's would potentially be interested in. There has to be some investment on her part.

Not that she isn't interested in hunting (she has her PAL and enjoys shooting) but just not as high on her personal priority list at the moment.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can’t build a priority in hunting draws without having taken the hunter training course first and collected a “hunting endorsement” is my understanding.

LC
She is open to taking the hunter training course. Even if she decides never to hunt, I'll still gladly pay for it. Valuable info for people who don't hunt too.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM

If she isnt interested in hunting then i see no point in getting her into the draws. Hunters ed is what $120 now? Plus the $30 each year for the wildlife certificate then another $4 per draw all for something she wont use. Maybe sit her down and have a heart to heart talk with her to see if she might even consider it in the future. Perhaps try to get her bird hunting at least once to see if she likes it. Hunting is not for everyone.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-08-2020, 11:27 AM

Oldest trick in the book to cheat the system. Kids put in for draw, grandma and grandpa put in for draw then you use their tag. Moose tag every year using a partner license. You don’t have to beat around the bush.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Oldest trick in the book to cheat the system. Kids put in for draw, grandma and grandpa put in for draw then you use their tag. Moose tag every year using a partner license. You don’t have to beat around the bush.
Quite the accusation. Apparently you don't know me.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Youth first-time hunters must be at least 12 years old (10 years of age for game bird) to hunt under the authority of any hunting licence in Alberta. All hunters under the age of 16 years must have written permission from a parent or guardian to purchase hunting licences. Hunters who are 11 years old may apply in the draws for licences if they meet the above criteria, but they must be 12 years old anytime before or during the open season for that draw.

Youth can’t get a jump start on their priorities, they must be eligible to hunt in the year they first apply.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Youth can’t get a jump start on their priorities, they must be eligible to hunt in the year they first apply.
Yes, that is correct.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:22 PM

With kids, you never know what they may want to do a year or two from now.

I'd say have her take the course, put her in for the draw and assess it year over year. By the time she is 14-15 you will know.

My daughter was about that age when she decided and there's really no harm in building priority as, after all, if she drops out, any hunter below her will pass her priority sequence in short order if and when she decides she doesn't want to hunt.

There really is no harm here as I understand it.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:34 PM

Default Building priority points for non hunting children

Buckbrush, my children are much younger than yours, but I fully intend to build priority whether or not they choose to hunt immediately upon turning 12.

Like you, I will encourage them to take Hunter’s Ed whether or not they plan to hunt.

Jim: Any system is imperfect, but suggesting that BB plans to use his child’s future licenses for his own benefit is blowing hot air. At this point in my hunting career, I get far more enjoyment out of my child hunting an animal and harvesting it himself (only squirrels so far, he is 5) rather than my own success at harvesting. I suspect BB to be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2020, 05:39 PM

I have twin 16 year old girls. One likes to hunt and the other has shot a deer and and few pigs and since decided is no longer interested, so I don’t enter her in draws any more.

My wife was keen to hunt before we had kids but has since lost interest and has a ton of priority points for a variety of critters. We’ll likely let our hunting daughter use the wife’s priority on youth partner licenses in the next year or two. I let my daughter shoot my P10 moose last year on a youth partner license. If. I was smart I would have let one of my nephews or a friend’s kid shoot a ram on my 446 draw when it became apparent that I wasn’t going to find one in my class range.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-08-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I agree with Jim on this, I have seen and heard of it numerous times where guys use family to build priority for their own hunting when there is no interest from the kids or spouse in an attempt to get an endless supply of yearly tags. As a large scale land owner who allows individuals to hunt on my lands when I am not, if I caught someone doing this it would be immediate revocation of access to my land permanently.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarjar View Post
I agree with Jim on this, I have seen and heard of it numerous times where guys use family to build priority for their own hunting when there is no interest from the kids or spouse in an attempt to get an endless supply of yearly tags. As a large scale land owner who allows individuals to hunt on my lands when I am not, if I caught someone doing this it would be immediate revocation of access to my land permanently.
Enough insinuating take that theory and pound sand. You wouldn't allow them to hunt again if that happened? How about calling fish and game instead? That's not a "loop hole" or a way to "play the system" it's straight up poaching.

My daughter has been into hunting since she was four and she has been on many hunts over the years. This year she has other things she is interested in, hopefully that changes but it might not. At this point in my hunting career, I don't care what I shoot. Quality time in the field is what draws me, even better with family. My wife is also my main hunting partner and some years spends more days in the field than most guys I know.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 PM

Put in priority if you're able to. She will be thankful you did.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 PM

You can build fishing priority for a child of nearly any age though, my son has been getting fishing draws since he could reel them in on his own.

LC