Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2020, 11:22 PM

Default Funny as hell!

Was just sitting here relaxing and checking out the forum. Sportsman channel is on. Happened to look over at it, and here’s this guy sighting in his rifle. All good except he’s doing it standing up and freehand. I had a chuckle. Another T.V. hunting star.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:15 AM

My dad was like that. Wouldn't use a bench or rest of any kind and only shot at 25 yards cause that was the same point of impact as 100....

I guess to be fair, he grew up in a time that every round had to be accounted for, If he was sent out to get a couple of rabbits and given four rounds he had better come home with four rabbits if he had no rounds left or he'd get a whooping for wasting ammo.

Last edited by PartTimeHunter; 06-16-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
My dad was like that. Wouldn't use a bench or rest of any kind and only shot at 25 yards cause that was the same point of impact as 100....
My dad and I sighted in leaning across the hood of a car with a rolled up parka as a rest. I guess that's illegal today.

He had a booklet that showed the distance for a bullet first crossing line of sight for each load, from CIL or someone. So he and I sighted in at different distances.

Then we checked sight in at 100 yards, 200 if we were somewhere with that much distance to a target. Targets were cardboard boxes.

We used 3 shot groups unless the first shot was dead on and then we usually didn't shoot again because centrefire ammunition was so expensive.

Good memories.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Was just sitting here relaxing and checking out the forum. Sportsman channel is on. Happened to look over at it, and here’s this guy sighting in his rifle. All good except he’s doing it standing up and freehand. I had a chuckle. Another T.V. hunting star.
hmmm at least he wasn't resting the rifle on his shoulder facing the other direction using a mirror...

most of these shows I just PVR if they are new and fast forward the commercials etc....if a clown act is evident then I don't even bother tuning in going forward.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
My dad and I sighted in leaning across the hood of a car with a rolled up parka as a rest. I guess that's illegal today.

He had a booklet that showed the distance for a bullet first crossing line of sight for each load, from CIL or someone. So he and I sighted in at different distances.

Then we checked sight in at 100 yards, 200 if we were somewhere with that much distance to a target. Targets were cardboard boxes.

We used 3 shot groups unless the first shot was dead on and then we usually didn't shoot again because centrefire ammunition was so expensive.

Good memories.
All good but dad wouldn't check at further distances saying he knows where it is shooting now so don't waste ammo.... yeah he got the crosses line of sight thing from the ammo box.
Loading for him was my first foray into reloading. He bought all the stuff but was scared to do it himself so he decided it would be ok to sacrifice his first born son. He gave me the gear that he bought, powder, primers, bullets and casings and a recipe from a guy and said put it together! I'd never done this before nor seen it done. Wasn't much for youtube back then either. Got them built and didn't blow myself up, his rifle didn't shoot them very well so he decided hand loading wasn't all that it was cracked up to be Oh, there was no start low and work up. It was - this is the load, make it.