Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Savage 110 ultralight

Does anyone own one? Looking for reviews
Old 05-29-2020, 12:19 PM

The Lightweight I had was a great gun. Accurate, handled well. The only thing I did to it was glass bed the stock. I am not over fond of the Accu-Trigger on a hunting gun. If I had kept the gun I would have changed that out for a Rifle Basix. Sold it to a guy last year that just had to have it. He is very happy with it too.

You may want to check out the other thread on issues he is having getting any kind of decent service from Savage. Been seeing a lot more of this the last year or so. Savage used to be great to deal with. No idea what changed. I have a fair number of them, but I wouldn't be buying any new ones today.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 PM

I bought one several years ago in .243 for my wife. Fit and finish is nice, shoots well and trigger is great. Only gripe with the accu-trigger would be when wearing larger gloves. Other than that its been a great little rifle. Its sure nice to carry after lugging around my M77 Ruger!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:55 PM

This is just my two cents after having owned numerous Savages. I had two with failure to feed issues and one with a failure to fire issue. I am done with Savage unless someone dropped one off on my doorstep for free, but I'd likely sell that one too.

Real friends don't let their friends buy Savage.

However, they are typically very accurate, especially for the price.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:04 PM

Something just seems wrong about spending that much for a Savage.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 PM
Banned

I have one
It’s pretty good
Good bang for the buck
Old 05-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Something just seems wrong about spending that much for a Savage.
It’s the proof barrel. The Barrel alone run $1200 or so up here in Canada so really the rifles are a bargain at that price.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
It’s the proof barrel. The Barrel alone run $1200 or so up here in Canada so really the rifles are a bargain at that price.
I understand why the price is that high, it just seems strange seeing a Savage with that high of a price tag. Savage will always be a bargain basement rifle to me.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I understand why the price is that high, it just seems strange seeing a Savage with that high of a price tag. Savage will always be a bargain basement rifle to me.
Who doesn’t like a bargain!? Different strokes for different folks I guess. Many shooters can’t afford the next level of firearms. Your Remmys, Winchester’s, tikka, Ruger etc... need to be able to afford to shoot the darn rifle after you buy it too! Factory ammo prices aren’t exactly bargain basement either. And lots of folks are quite happy shooting savage rifles, I for one shoot .5 moa groups with some of my handloads out of savage rifles. For a hunting rifle, that gets beat around in the bush, they are perfect. Maybe those higher end rifles primarily go hunting on the console of trucks... haha.

I looked at the ultralight the other day and it’s an awesome rifle, haven’t shot it myself tho. Like mentioned above, that barrel is worth more than most savage rifles all together. The 110 action is super dependable and accurate, ive got several thousand rounds through model 10 actions, they shoot great for me.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Who doesn’t like a bargain!? Different strokes for different folks I guess. Many shooters can’t afford the next level of firearms. Your Remmys, Winchester’s, tikka, Ruger etc... need to be able to afford to shoot the darn rifle after you buy it too! Factory ammo prices aren’t exactly bargain basement either. And lots of folks are quite happy shooting savage rifles, I for one shoot .5 moa groups with some of my handloads out of savage rifles. For a hunting rifle, that gets beat around in the bush, they are perfect. Maybe those higher end rifles primarily go hunting on the console of trucks... haha.

I looked at the ultralight the other day and it’s an awesome rifle, haven’t shot it myself tho. Like mentioned above, that barrel is worth more than most savage rifles all together. The 110 action is super dependable and accurate, ive got several thousand rounds through model 10 actions, they shoot great for me.
Yes there is a place for bargain basement rifles, but at $1700-$1800, the Savage Ultralight is certainly not a bargain basement rifle.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Real friends don't let their friends buy Savage.
I’ll be using this lol
Old 05-31-2020, 09:33 AM

I haven't seen one of these new Savages , but can certainly attest to the accuracy and dependability of the 110 action.
When I can run my iron sights from 200 to 600 , to 1K then turret back down to 200 with first round hits from the prone position with a sling with a factory Savage in 308, I'm okay with that .

I have no issues with Savage rogues and will likely buy another in the future .
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yes there is a place for bargain basement rifles, but at $1700-$1800, the Savage Ultralight is certainly not a bargain basement rifle.
Neither is a 40X Remington but the 783 is.
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Neither is a 40X Remington but the 783 is.
Cat
Remington has always had premium models, it's what they were known for before they started with the economy models. Savage has always been known for economy models, an $1800 hunting rifle is a huge change for them. It will be interesting to see how many they sell.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Remington has always had premium models, it's what they were known for before they started with the economy models. Savage has always been known for economy models, an $1800 hunting rifle is a huge change for them. It will be interesting to see how many they sell.
It seems they are really leaning towards the mountain hunting scenarios with this rifle. Anyone can pack a rifle around regular bush for a day no problem. If your packing in and out of the mountains, a lighter rifle is a must. And if you’re hunting these scenarios, you’re investing more money anyways in all your gear.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
It seems they are really leaning towards the mountain hunting scenarios with this rifle. Anyone can pack a rifle around regular bush for a day no problem. If your packing in and out of the mountains, a lighter rifle is a must. And if you’re hunting these scenarios, you’re investing more money anyways in all your gear.
I have backpacked for sheep a few times, and goat as well. I carried rifles weighing around 9lbs all in and was successful on both species. A lighter rifle is nice, but it isn't a must. Most people would be better off losing an extra 5 lbs, or spending more effort on conditioning, than buying a rifle weighing a pound or two less. But I do agree, that having the option of buying lighter rifle is a good thing.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:01 AM

A couple of things about Savage rifles. They started making left hand versions available in the late 60s and they were the first to give us a reasonably priced option. I have been buying and shooting Savage rifles since the late 60s and I have never got one that would not shoot under an inch with the factory barrel. I also never had one that gave me any grief except for a 110C with the side release mag. I got rid of that one because it would not feed reliably, even though is was very accurate.

The older guns did not have nice lines and that slotted barrel nut wan't real pretty, but a wood rasp and some time, you could make them look a whole bunch better. I have worn the barrels out on more than a few Savage rifles, so I know they hold up well. The last 15 years, they are actually turning out some nicer looking guns, smooth barrel nut, but still very easy to swap barrels if you want to. Also, with the floating bolt head, you don't need to true a Savage action so replacing the barrel is a whole bunch cheaper than it is on a Rem 700. You can also swap bolt heads so you can change cartridges very easily from 223, to 308 to mag class rounds.

Some of you look down your noses at Savage rifles. I can pretty much afford to buy whatever gun I want and I still think Savage is a good gun, especially at that price point. Up until the last year or two, you seldom heard of issues with them and if you did have a problem, Savage was Johnnie on the spot to help you straighten it out. Savage, Ruger, Weatherby Vanguard and Tikka are about the only reasonably priced guns that don't consistently have issue. Bergara, Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Winchester, Thompson and most of the other common 1000 dollar and under guns have a lot of issues. Savage is also the only gun company I know of that has entered multiple shooting competitions with off the shelf guns and won.

I still own a few Savage rifles and I still think they are a good choice for many shooters.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
788 and 710 were two that were not premium rifles
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
788 and 710 were two that were not premium rifles
Cat
Exactly why I posted "before they started with the economy models". The 710/770 was junk, and was the start of the Remington decline. The 788 was decent for the price, but most people think 700, when they think Remington rifles. The 700 and model 70 were quality firearms when they were introduced.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-31-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Exactly why I posted "before they started with the economy models". The 710/770 was junk, and was the start of the Remington decline. The 788 was decent for the price, but most people think 700, when they think Remingron rifles. The 700 and model 70 were quality firearms when they were introduced.
That is because most people have no idea that Remington, Savage and Winchester all made good bolt action rifles other than the 700,70 and 110.
As fad as the 788 goes, since its inception the only thing it had as far as quality goes was a fast lock time .
Cheap ,uncomfortable stocks,and sharp edged stamped metal magazines that would cut you in a Heart beat were just two of the negatives of that economy rifle .
Every rifle brand has its negatives .
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
That is because most people have no idea that Remington, Savage and Winchester all made good bolt action rifles other than the 700,70 and 110.
As fad as the 788 goes, since its inception the only thing it had as far as quality goes was a fast lock time .
Cheap ,uncomfortable stocks,and sharp edged stamped metal magazines that would cut you in a Heart beat were just two of the negatives of that economy rifle .
Every rifle brand has its negatives .
Cat
Indeed.

However, that does not change the fact that I had three duds. Not one. Not two. Three.

A 270 and a 30-06 with failure to feed issues, and a 17 HMR with a failure to fire issue (light primer strikes).

Comparatively speaking, I have had quite a few guns over my life. Not many with any issues.

In addition to the three Savages, I had a Mossberg 930 that was pure garbage that they would do nothing about. I had an O/U Yildiz that doubled all the time. They replaced the trigger no issues. Great to deal with. I had a Forbes that had issues with a stock. Prophet River looked after it no questions asked.

So, forgive me if I am leery of anything Savage or bargain models. However, I would never argue Savage accuracy. All three of those guns were super accurate.

Last edited by sns2; 05-31-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:49 PM

I have been shooting Savages since 1968 and and have done work on many others,never had an issue I couldn't easily fix with them .
But I have also heard lots of problems with other brands and never had much trouble with any of them except for a couple of Rugers , rebarrel fixed that .
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
bingo
Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
the first thing i thought of when i saw this rig was that it was the ultimate expression of putting lipstick on a pig

and there's no arguing this point lol, it is what it is

it'll shoot, it'll pack, it'll be reliable, it'll also get some attitude from your pals

7-7.5 lbs all up is my favorite rifle weight of all time, regardless of whether i'm after sheep or not, like 13 3/4" is my fav. lop, like 2.5-2.75 lbs is my fav. trigger pull weight etc. etc. shouldn't be hard to get that cute little piggie into those ranges...also while i'm at it, i like 40" or less overall length and under 15 ft/lbs recoil energy
Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I have been shooting Savages since 1968 and and have done work on many others,never had an issue I couldn't easily fix with them .
But I have also heard lots of problems with other brands and never had much trouble with any of them except for a couple of Rugers , rebarrel fixed that .
Cat
You've got mad skills though. If you were my neighbor, I'd buy used Savages almost exclusively, cuz when they didn't feed or didn't fire, my neighbor could fix em for me

I'd never argue with how they shot. I had a Savage 114 American Classic in stainless that was a lovely rifle. But, they are just not really my cup of tea, except possibly in a target rifle. Used of course to make sure it goes bang when the trigger is pulled, and reliably feeds a round when the bolt goes back and forth.

Last edited by sns2; 06-01-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You've got mad skills though. If you were my neighbor, I'd buy used Savages almost exclusively, cuz when they didn't feed or didn't fire, my neighbor could fix em for me

I'd never argue with how they shot. I had a Savage 114 American Classic in stainless that was a lovely rifle. But, they are just not really my cup of tea, except possibly in a target rifle. Used of course to make sure it goes bang when the trigger is pulled, and reliably feeds a round when the bolt goes back and forth.
Thanks, I am an equal opportunity gun nut and can still do some decent work sometimes !
Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I have backpacked for sheep a few times, and goat as well. I carried rifles weighing around 9lbs all in and was successful on both species. A lighter rifle is nice, but it isn't a must. Most people would be better off losing an extra 5 lbs, or spending more effort on conditioning, than buying a rifle weighing a pound or two less. But I do agree, that having the option of buying lighter rifle is a good thing.
So very true,the rifle when considered with all of the other gear you need, along with those extra covid pounds is only a pound or two more. Plus a light rifle unless you have a super steady rest can be hard to shoot well,at least for me.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:41 PM

Default New model 110 ultralight

Well I bought one and guess what there’s no bases or rails available for it in Canada ... it’s so new that nobody has stuff yet . The guy at Cabela’s set me up with a tally 20mm short action rail Went home to find that the holes lined up perfect but the standard 6m screw have been changed to 8m on this model and few other of there upgrade models so beware. she sure is pretty though. Can’t wait to find the rail .

Last edited by elkchaser; 06-01-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
Old 06-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
Well I bought one and guess what there’s no bases or rails available for it in Canada ... it’s so new that nobody has stuff yet . The guy at Cabela’s set me up with a tally 20mm short action rail Went home to find that the holes lined up perfect but the standard 6m screw have been changed to 8m on this model and few other of there upgrade models so beware. she sure is pretty though. Can’t wait to find the rail .
Western gun parts has a weaver 20 moa rail
The 8x40 screws threw me a curveball As well
Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 AM
Banned

Omer has more rifles in stock at precision optics
He would be a guy to call about mounts as well