Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Hey Cat, watch your language
Just my spelling I have to watch not my language!!
Cat
Old 05-22-2020, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So I have to ask, was their emphasis on long range shooting a detriment to the hunting community?
Not in my opinion
Old 05-22-2020, 08:05 PM

https://www.gunwerks.com/blog/press-...litigation-225

New update, not sure what to think of the situation. Time will tell.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Ya they released a new rifle 2 weeks ago and sold out all 50 rifles in 12 hours
6 month wait time
No one is buying their product
🙄
Out of curiosity, what model of theirs are you currently shooting? Do you find it a great deal better than other rifles you own?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Banned

The takeaway. Two sides to every story. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
https://www.gunwerks.com/blog/press-...litigation-225

New update, not sure what to think of the situation. Time will tell.
Fantastic news!

-Billy Molls
Old 05-22-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am not at all surprised.At the prices they charge, I am surprised that people actually buy their rifles.
Great contribution thanks
Old 05-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Great contribution thanks
Exactly what did you contribute to the thread?
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
36,000 great posts. Thanks
Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Out of curiosity, what model of theirs are you currently shooting? Do you find it a great deal better than other rifles you own?
I just have the rev x in a 300 win right now
I needed a 300 win for my moose hunt in Russia And that was all I get in the time frame I had
I like it, shoots great. Probably 1/2moa with 200gr swift a frames. 1/3 moa with 215gr bergers. I like their stock design for spotting your impacts

I messaged Aaron a week or two ago and they have some awesome new products coming out.
I’m going their shooting school this summer
I’ve had a bunch of their other products as well, and I’ll continue to be one of their customers for a long time
Old 05-22-2020, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure how you can complain about buying one of their rifles or systems when you spent how much on a 22?
Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Not sure how you can complain about buying one of their rifles or systems when you spent how much on a 22?
When you buy a premium action, barrel, stock and trigger, the cost is about the same whether you purchase a rimfire, or a centerfire. And I paid half of what Gunwerks charges for one of their rifles. My full custom centerfire costs about the same, half of what Gunwerks charges for their rifles. You can pay a 100% premium to have the Gunwerks name, but what do you get for double the price?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 AM

As far as firearms go they are not in the cheap end of the spectrum. I know one guy that shoots one and is really happy with it. At the end of the day they are no more money than a set of rims and a lift on a truck. If ya got the cash, go buy one.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
When you buy a premium action, barrel, stock and trigger, the cost is about the same whether you purchase a rimfire, or a centerfire. And I paid half of what Gunwerks charges for one of their rifles. My full custom centerfire costs about the same, half of what Gunwerks charges for their rifles. You can pay a 100% premium to have the Gunwerks name, but what do you get for double the price?
Is your Vudoo rimfire built with comparable premium products to a gunwerks rifle?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
They sell all their components
So if you want to build one cheaper, You can
It will save you some money, But will cost you time. Then you have to do you load development, verification, etc still.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
You got a toy gun you can plink with for $5k, where as if you had spent $10k you would have a rifle you could fly half way around the world with on the hunt of a lifetime and when the time comes to make that once in a lifetime shot, you know that it would hit its mark.

Some guys will blow twice that on a shotgun! A spray gun that has the same accuracy as a $300 rem 870, so you can shoot that pheasant of a lifetime.....

I’ve got a gunwerks, and I happened to kill the buck of a lifetime with it. Worth every cent in my opinion. It came with two loads at the time, I haven’t checked but they might have developed more. I shot the load given to me at 100yds and 1000yds and it was exactly as advertised, pretty impressive. When I call to check on new loads I talk to their very knowledgeable staff directly. I doubt there is another company with better customer service.

You’re not a big game hunter anymore, you like plinking so it’s obviously not going to appeal to you. I have a $35 cooey 22 I use for plinking that I can shoot spent shotgun shells with at 50yds with open sights, and a $500 wingmaster for shooting grouse, that’s good enough for me. I spend my money where my passion is.

Whether or not they are going under, I’m so glad I got one before they close up shop. Any qualified gunsmith will be able to fix any issues should they arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Is your Vudoo rimfire built with comparable premium products to a gunwerks rifle?
The Vudoo action is built to tolerances that are at least as good, and so is the barrel. The trigger is also at least as good being a Triggertech Diamond. I could have spent a few hundred more on a stock, but it would not have made the rifle any more accurate.
Banned

Quote:
Why did you buy a vudoo when you could have just bought the tikka??
They do the same thing, but the tikka is way cheaper
Are you really gaining that much accuracy to justify spending 4-5x as much?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Gad to hear they are alive and well They really have been innovators. Wells Fargo is a very unethical bank and they are huge. Pretty clear now they are also vindictive. I hope the gun community gives them a wide birth.

With respect to the cost of the guns, I see little point in arguing among ourselves about something like this. Clearly there are a lot of people willing to pay $10,000 U.S. for what they are selling. I fail to see how this is any different than paying $100,000 for a Porsche when a $30,000 Toyota will do the same job, mostly. If you can't or won't afford their guns, don't buy them but I would sure never expect to see someone given a hard time because they saw the value and bought one.

All in, sorry to see Montana go, even if they never made lefties, and happy to see Gunwerks still around. I never want to see any Canadian or U.S. shooting related company go under.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
They sell all their components
So if you want to build one cheaper, You can
It will save you some money, But will cost you time. Then you have to do you load development, verification, etc still.
Don't forget about resale value. In my experience building a rifle out of good components will work good but will have terrible resale value to the average consumer. Yes, of course you will find that one guy that knows the rifle and will buy it but they are not that common. If you ever intend on selling it, a rifle that has a name attached will always get more value than a custom without a name. Thorstein Veblen's theory may be at play here somewhat.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
The Vudoo action is built to tolerances that are at least as good, and so is the barrel. The trigger is also at least as good being a Triggertech Diamond. I could have spent a few hundred more on a stock, but it would not have made the rifle any more accurate.
Gunwerks could have put a Bell Carlson or Greyboe on their rifles. But choose to build a complete premium product. They went all the way.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With respect to the cost of the guns, I see little point in arguing among ourselves about something like this. Clearly there are a lot of people willing to pay $10,000 U.S. for what they are selling. I fail to see how this is any different than paying $100,000 for a Porsche when a $30,000 Toyota will do the same job, mostly. If you can't or won't afford their guns, don't buy them but I would sure never expect to see someone given a hard time because they saw the value and bought one.
This is on point!
If a person has the cash and wants one, that is up to them , nobody else.
I have a friend who owns a TAC OPS rifle and he paid a ton of cash for it.
Why? because he wanted it and bought it.
I have shot this rifle and it is a great rifle and lived up to its three shot 1/2MOA claim with factory federal GMM ammo.
Would I buy one? No sooner than I would buy a Gunwerks unless I got it real cheap , and even then I would be hesitant.
however he loves that rifle, and that is what it is all about.

I have been known to drop a pile of cash on a falling block F/o class rifle and people thought I had lost my mind- NOBODY shoots F/O class with a falling block and especially chambered in 308win .
Sometimes it's not about the rifle but how it was built and what a person WANTS trumps all.
Cat
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Some people would make the same claim about high end shotgun manufacturers. Not me, but some.

Last edited by ward; 05-23-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You got a toy gun you can plink with for $5k, where as if you had spent $10k you would have a rifle you could fly half way around the world with on the hunt of a lifetime and when the time comes to make that once in a lifetime shot, you know that it would hit its mark.

Some guys will blow twice that on a shotgun! A spray gun that has the same accuracy as a $300 rem 870, so you can shoot that pheasant of a lifetime.....

I’ve got a gunwerks, and I happened to kill the buck of a lifetime with it. Worth every cent in my opinion. It came with two loads at the time, I haven’t checked but they might have developed more. I shot the load given to me at 100yds and 1000yds and it was exactly as advertised, pretty impressive. When I call to check on new loads I talk to their very knowledgeable staff directly. I doubt there is another company with better customer service.

You’re not a big game hunter anymore, you like plinking so it’s obviously not going to appeal to you. I have a $35 cooey 22 I use for plinking that I can shoot spent shotgun shells with at 50yds with open sights, and a $500 wingmaster for shooting grouse, that’s good enough for me. I spend my money where my passion is.

Whether or not they are going under, I’m so glad I got one before they close up shop. Any qualified gunsmith will be able to fix any issues should they arise.
So are you going to tell me that you could not have killed the buck that we have been hearing about for so long, without a Gunwerks? You could not have killed it with a $5000 rifle, or even a $1000 rifle? Milo Hansen certainly didn't use a Gunwerks to kill his world record buck. The simple truth is that you can buy quality components, and build a rifle that will do whatever a Gunwerks rifle will do , for half the price. My go to big game rifle was built from quality components for $4000, about six years ago, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere to hunt. It is reliable,and it was made with the exact stock pattern and LOP of my choice from McMillan, the exact barrel contour, length and rate of twist that I chose, and it shoots 1/2moa with my bullet of choice. Now if you aren't capable of developing accurate loads, and are not up to figuring out the trajectory on your own, then yes, for an extra $5000, companies like Gunwerks will gladly do the load development for you . Or if that Gunwerks name is worth $5000 worth of status to you, then by all means, spend that extra $5000. But the bottom line, is that the extra $5000 is not buying you accuracy or reliability that you can't get for half the price, there is nothing unique about the Gunwerks design or quality, there are many other rifles that offer similar performance , for a lot less money. I spent just over $4000 for a rimfire, because I wanted a rifle that handled and felt like a full sized rifle, and that produced 1/2 moa accuracy. You aren't going to find that in a Tikka or a CZ, or any other low priced rimfire. My Vudoo rimfire and my go to custom big game rifle together cost what a bottom end Gunwerks costs, so I have both a precision rimfire and a quality big game rifle for the same price.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
So are you going to tell me that you could not have killed the buck that we have been hearing about for so long, without a Gunwerks? You could not have killed it with a $5000 rifle, or even a $1000 rifle? Milo Hansen certainly didn't use a Gunwerks to kill his world record buck. The simple truth is that you can buy quality components, and build a rifle that will do whatever a Gunwerks rifle will do , for half the price. My go to big game rifle was built from quality components for $4000, about six years ago, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere to hunt. It is reliable,and it was made with the exact stock pattern and LOP of my choice from McMillan, the exact barrel contour, length and rate of twist that I chose, and it shoots 1/2moa with my bullet of choice. Now if you aren't capable of developing accurate loads, and are not up to figuring out the trajectory on your own, then yes, for an extra $5000, companies like Gunwerks will gladly do the load development for you . Or if that Gunwerks name is worth $5000 worth of status to you, then by all means, spend that extra $5000. But the bottom line, is that the extra $5000 is not buying you accuracy or reliability that you can't get for half the price, there is nothing unique about the Gunwerks design or quality, there are many other rifles that offer similar performance , for a lot less money. I spent just over $4000 for a rimfire, because I wanted a rifle that handled and felt like a full sized rifle, and that produced 1/2 moa accuracy. You aren't going to find that in a Tikka or a CZ, or any other low priced rimfire. My Vudoo rimfire and my go to custom big game rifle together cost what a bottom end Gunwerks costs, so I have both a precision rimfire and a quality big game rifle for the same price.

Bahahaha!

$4000 for a rifle that does exactly what a Tikka T1 WILL DO! 1/2” moa and handle exactly like a full size rifle, even has the EXACT same stock as the T3 included for that $600 price tag. How much did you drop on a shotgun that has the exact same accuracy as a $300 rem 870?

I could have shot my deer with my model 88, which happens to be the same rifle Milo Hansen used, but I didn’t. If it was standing at 675yds away I wouldn’t have been able to though. Your custom rifle has a resale value of what? $2000 if you’re lucky? You lost at least 50% of your investment for what some see a a pieces together firearm. I’m quite capable of developing loads, but with a gunwerks I don’t have to. If I shoot out the barrel, gunwerks supplies me with a new one. Will your custom builder do the same for you?

In my opinion, spending $4000 on a toy gun or more than $500 on a shotgun is ridiculous, however some people don’t see it that way.

It’s so funny to read your posts, bashing people for their choices, totally oblivious to the fact people view your choices as a complete waste of money. If it’s not your cup of tea, fine, but remember you aren’t the only person on the planet, not everyone sees value in shotguns or toy guns either.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Banned

I didn’t Get interested in shooting further because of the animals I shot
It’s because of the animals I didn’t
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Bahahaha!

$4000 for a rifle that does exactly what a Tikka T1 WILL DO! 1/2” moa and handle exactly like a full size rifle, even has the EXACT same stock as the T3 included for that $600 price tag. How much did you drop on a shotgun that has the exact same accuracy as a $300 rem 870?

I could have shot my deer with my model 88, which happens to be the same rifle Milo Hansen used, but I didn’t. If it was standing at 675yds away I wouldn’t have been able to though. Your custom rifle has a resale value of what? $2000 if you’re lucky? You lost at least 50% of your investment for what some see a a pieces together firearm. I’m quite capable of developing loads, but with a gunwerks I don’t have to. If I shoot out the barrel, gunwerks supplies me with a new one. Will your custom builder do the same for you?

In my opinion, spending $4000 on a toy gun or more than $500 on a shotgun is ridiculous, however some people don’t see it that way.

It’s so funny to read your posts, bashing people for their choices, totally oblivious to the fact people view your choices as a complete waste of money. If it’s not your cup of tea, fine, but remember you aren’t the only person on the planet, not everyone sees value in shotguns or toy guns either.
The Tikka T1x rifles do shoot well, generally under 1/2 " at 50 yards , which is moa, not 1/2 moa. Now if you have one that shoots 1/2moa, that is by far the exception. As to resale, if my rifle is only worth 50% of what it cost me, I have spent $2000 to use it for this long, if your Gunwerks is still worth 75% of what you paid, you are still out more than that. People aren't going to pay more than 75% of new for a well used Gunwerks, if they are willing to spend that much, they will just buy new. As for shotguns, there is a reason that people buy semi autos for waterfowl, the recoil is greatly reduced over a pump action, which really helps getting to the next target with heavy waterfowl loads. At to my choice of SxS shotguns for upland birds, they are far lighter than an 870, for carrying all day, but they also offer a instant choice of two chokes. But while it's easy to find a reliable cheap pump action shotgun, you don't usually find reliable cheap SxS shotguns, with properly regulated barrels. With either a semi auto or SxS shotgun, you are getting something entirely different in design, not just a more expensive pump action. And then of course fit comes into the picture, and fit is very important with shotguns, in comparison to rifles. An 870 won't fit everyone, and if it doesn't fit, you won't shoot it well.
With bolt action rifles, especially the higher end rifles, the design is very similar, so you aren't getting something entirely different for the extra money.

But if you feel that you actually get your monies worth by spending Gunwerks prices, then spend your money and enjoy. My point is that the market is very limited at that price range, so if Gunwerks is having financial issues, their prices are definitely limiting sales, which limits potential profit.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-23-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM
Banned

the original botw 3 dvd instructional vids are where it all started, can't remember how they split from botw but i still associate them with the start of all this

i still set all mine up same way, zero, collect your drop data and atmospheric, velocity, then you can back calculator your bc and then have your turrets made up for whatever elevation/temp range you'd like...it's simple, and deadly accurate

anyhow, botw runs huskemaw on coopers from what i remember, the scope alone killed it for me, gunwerks crew went the right direction imo

the rigs i've built on factory rifles with factory ammo and how well they've shot to 930 yards is outstanding...you don't have to buy one of their rigs, you grab those videos and you can do it with a fraction of the cost, but if you can afford one go for it, build up a camaro or get the porsche, all good in the hood

i actually tried one of their first rigs in 300wm, took a bud out to shoot it at 520 and he put 3 into a few inches with factory 180 accubond load, he bought it from me right there, i like building up my own factory rigs anyway, lost a bit on it but i'd do it again to have the experience
Old 05-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
LOL I could probably go shot for shot against your best big game gun wearing your best scope with my 450$ dollar savage with a 250$ scope. Last weekend I was shooting 1.5" 500 yds groups. That's right multiple groups at under 2" at 500. Would I say my savage is on the same level as yours? Nope not at all. It's accurate but that's about it fit finish is terrible. Blueing is not great cheap plastic flimsy stock..... If a guy can afford a nice gun they want a nice gun there's no one alive who should put them down for it. If i did i would have to criticize you on both your guns as they cost more than any of mine and likely dont perform any better in real world shooting. Your shotguns included. Own what you want if you can afford it. Ps I would buy a gunworks in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Unfortunately it probably have to sell most of my guns+ my truck to come up with that kind of cash lol
Old 05-23-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
LOL I could probably go shot for shot against your best big game gun wearing your best scope with my 450$ dollar savage with a 250$ scope. Last weekend I was shooting 1.5" 500 yds groups. That's right multiple groups at under 2" at 500. Would I say my savage is on the same level as yours? Nope not at all. It's accurate but that's about it fit finish is terrible. Blueing is not great cheap plastic flimsy stock..... If a guy can afford a nice gun they want a nice gun there's no one alive who should put them down for it. If i did i would have to criticize you on both your guns as they cost more than any of mine and likely dont perform any better in real world shooting. Your shotguns included. Own what you want if you can afford it. Ps I would buy a gunworks in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Unfortunately it probably have to sell most of my guns+ my truck to come up with that kind of cash lol
The point that I was making in my earlier posts, is that with prices that high, they are greatly limiting their market . If they are having financial issues, then either they have no clue how to run a business, or they simply are not selling enough rifles. If they aren't selling enough to pay the bills, then either they need to sell more rifles, or charge even more per rifle, which will even further limit their market. Unless they come up with something truly unique, or revolutionary in design, they won't get enough people willing to pay the price for them to make a good profit.