Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Default Bolt binds in Sav M 16

I've got a Savage M 16 in .270 WSM, that I've recently discovered, apparently has problem. When I retract the bolt and pull up on the handle, it binds up solid in the position shown in the pic. Easy enough to avoid, during casual shooting, but in the heat of the chase, it can cause a missed feed, as I discovered chasing my wolf, through the woods. I'm wondering wether I should go for a waranty repair and where to take it. I'm thinking it's the ejector, which pivots up at this point. Any feedback appreciated.

Grizz
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM

I don't think it's either the ejector or the extractor, it MAY be your mag follower however.
Try dropping the magazine ( or the floor plate) and see what happens, and get back to us!
Cat
Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't think it's either the ejector or the extractor, it MAY be your mag follower however.
Try dropping the magazine ( or the floor plate) and see what happens, and get back to us!
Cat
Yup, or it could be the screw for your rear base is a bit too long......when the bolt turns, it snags.......run your finger on the inside of the action underneath the rear base

Weatherby's do that a fair bit too....if that is the problem
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yup, or it could be the screw for your rear base is a bit too long......when the bolt turms, it snags.......run your finger on the inside of the action underneath the rear base

Weatherby's do that a fair bit too....if that is the problem
Yup, seen that more than once - the last one was on a rifle that had the scope installed at the store.
My friend brought it home, and couldn't get the bolt into the rifle!!
One screw was mixed up front to back - or was it back to front??
Cat
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yup, seen that more than once - the last one was on a rifle that had the scope installed at the store.
My friend brought it home, and couldn't get the bolt into the rifle!!
One screw was mixed up front to back - or was it back to front??
Cat
If it was WSS, it was probably side to side

I bought one of those kits with 255 different screws in it.....sure comes in handy.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
If it was WSS, it was probably side to side

I bought one of those kits with 255 different screws in it.....sure comes in handy.
Well, I wasn't going to mention the store!!
Cat
Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've got a Savage M 16 in .270 WSM, that I've recently discovered, apparently has problem. When I retract the bolt and pull up on the handle, it binds up solid in the position shown in the pic. Easy enough to avoid, during casual shooting, but in the heat of the chase, it can cause a missed feed, as I discovered chasing my wolf, through the woods. I'm wondering wether I should go for a waranty repair and where to take it. I'm thinking it's the ejector, which pivots up at this point. Any feedback appreciated.

Grizz
WAITAMINIT!!
Those are LEUPOLD bases?
it may very well be that the screws are mixed up, I know that the Remingtons I fixed had different length screws and that was why they were binding up.
Take the bolt out, and like Huntinstuff said, check the screw lengths .
You may be surprised at what you find!
Cat