Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Up we go today ..... hang on this could be a fun week.

D.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:48 PM

The only way to know for sure if this is a Dead Cat bounce is to wait and see what happens over the next two weeks. The problem with that is, if it isn't you will have already missed a great deal of the potential gains. This is why timing the bottom or top is virtually impossible, you can only know for sure in hindsight..

The DOW came off 15% at the peak of the drop, it put back on over 5% today, the S&P put on 4.6%. The TSX was off 12%, put back on 1.75% today. Some of the big blue chips that were down 8-9% gained back 3% today.

Right now you are buying at a 10-15% discount to a week ago. Yes there may be another 5-10% downside, but Coke for example gained 5% today alone. That made it a pretty good buy from this morning. The best you can do is Leg in the cash you are sitting on over time, and on top quality stocks.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-02-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The only way to know for sure if this is a Dead Cat bounce is to wait and see what happens over the next two weeks. The problem with that is, if it isn't you will have already missed a great deal of the potential gains. This is why timing the bottom or top is virtually impossible, you can only know for sure in hindsight..
Well put.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
No way jose. I bet by Friday we are negative on the week. Just my predictions tho.
So no one knows?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Banned

I didn't research this info but found it interesting.

I don't know what to believe from the media anymore... so i'll wash my hands...
Old 03-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So no one knows?
If people knew, then investing would be easy... Im debating selling my oil stock or holding them to see what happens with inventories. Also debating adding to my gold position. If I knew for sure what was going to happen in two weeks, it'd be easy to make a decision.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-02-2020, 05:18 PM

I'm not doing anything. Just sitting on the sidelines all this week.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM

Wink This is brilliant! They could make billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The only way to know for sure if this is a Dead Cat bounce is to wait and see what happens over the next two weeks.
How long do you think a skilled team could keep this going? Provided they had spare batteries and the SEC continues to look the other way? Like they did the last few times?

This really needs to be redone with the Wall Street and Bay Street crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_CxQFziFU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drone cat.jpg (71.4 KB, 42 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-02-2020, 05:41 PM

I have a low % of my investments in stock, but I pulled my stocks a week ago. Too crazy for me!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If people knew, then investing would be easy... Im debating selling my oil stock or holding them to see what happens with inventories. Also debating adding to my gold position. If I knew for sure what was going to happen in two weeks, it'd be easy to make a decision.
A lot of guys here seem to know.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 PM

For those who think this is over, Markets spiked 4.6% the following week in 2008, but the rally proved short-lived as the crisis deepened. The index was down three and six months later and wouldn't bottom until March 2009.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
A lot of guys here seem to know.
I think its kinda cool to hear other blue collar type outdoorsmans opinions on such matters chuck. Yerself? What do you base your extensive knowledge on? CBC? How do you go about making decisions in life? Ever listen to somebody else or do you already know it? You betcha.😉
Old 03-02-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
For those who think this is over, Markets spiked 4.6% the following week in 2008, but the rally proved short-lived as the crisis deepened. The index was down three and six months later and wouldn't bottom until March 2009.
I think you're right. Can you imagine what will happen if the US starts testing (which they haven't been) and all of a sudden the number of starts going through the roof ?
Old 03-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Let alone the people in the US who won't/cant get tested due to the out of pocket cost. Ah, universal health care......
Old 03-02-2020, 08:48 PM

The virus itself isn’t the issue. Issue is the supply chain disruptions, and shutting down China’s economy. If we can keep things rolling without anymore substantial quarantines things should bounce back relatively quickly. And the guys selling will be kicking themselves, in saying that if they don’t bounce back we could see some prolonged losses. This is where your money is made and lost in the market, and what separates the men from the boys. Good luck to you all.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The virus itself isn’t the issue. Issue is the supply chain disruptions, and shutting down China’s economy. If we can keep things rolling without anymore substantial quarantines things should bounce back relatively quickly. And the guys selling will be kicking themselves, in saying that if they don’t bounce back we could see some prolonged losses. This is where your money is made and lost in the market, and what separates the men from the boys. Good luck to you all.
Good luck cuz the virus is absolutely the issue. 2008 is going to look like a walk in the park......
Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 PM

This is one more downside of free trade
Old 03-02-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I think you're right. Can you imagine what will happen if the US starts testing (which they haven't been) and all of a sudden the number of starts going through the roof ?

Markets can be volatile.

Quote:
A dire phase of the coronavirus outbreak? 'Boom' of US cases 'should be expected' as global death toll tops 3,000
JOHN BACON | USA TODAY
Updated 11:54 a.m. MST Mar. 2, 2020

“ "There are some enormous implications here," Trevor Bedford, a researcher at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, posted on Twitter. "I believe we're facing an already substantial outbreak in Washington State that was not detected until now."...

“ "Under current circumstances, a boom of cases should be expected," Omenka said. "Especially given the possibility of asymptomatic spread and mildness of the disease."

The way to stop the spread: human behavior. It's crucial that people follow steps recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, such as frequently washing their hands and self-quarantining when sick, Omenka said.
...”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/4923129002/

Last edited by KinAlberta; 03-02-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 PM

I'm happy I pulled. Dropping interest rates wont do anything for long at this point. It will spike momentarily. Best wishes to everyone riding this out!
My 2 c
Old 03-02-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Good luck cuz the virus is absolutely the issue. 2008 is going to look like a walk in the park......
Good. I eagerly await the real market meltdown.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I didn't research this info but found it interesting.

I don't know what to believe from the media anymore... so i'll wash my hands...
What’s 2% of the human population divided by say 365 days? (What the heck, divide it by 1,095 for a lower daily kill rate in case it takes 3 years.)

This is just one more thing we may now, forever have to try to live with. Wouldn’t it be nice to eliminate any one of those killers in the list above? The idea of preventing one more seems to have been beyond the mental capacity of the guy that put that compilation together.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM

FED just made emergency 50 bps rate cut.

We are going to see if cheap money is the vaccine for the virus. I expect a bounce that won't last. If you want to lighten up I think this may be the last chance but who knows. Not advice, just opinion.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM

Well, DOW was down 300 and TSX was treading water....then Fed announced a 50 bps rate cut....And the DOW bounced about 700 points in a hurry, now looking at +350 and +175 on TSX. It's all over the place, changing rapidly. Wonder if it will finish in green.

Kinda surprised Fed moved that much, that suddenly.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 AM

DOW doesn't look like it's going to stay in the green long, dropping pretty steady. TSX looks a little more stable. Dow only showing +85 now....volatile, anyone?

Looks like Fed shot their last bullet, and it wasn't silver.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-03-2020, 08:21 AM

The Dow is back in the red, but the TSX is still showing a gain. That move by the feds caused a bounce, but it was short lived.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM

Sold oil, holding gold, lets see what happens.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Banned

The markets are holding there own with oil and nat gas having positive moves.
Volatile though, but it seems like the panic has subsided for now.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Sold oil, holding gold, lets see what happens.
We cut out oil down to next to nothing on Feb 21 and 28. Still holding a little chunk of Pembina and Suncor.

Loving gold here and gold stocks, thank you FED. We are heading to $1700+ oz I think.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:47 AM

Q1 numbers should be fun. Rate manipulation isn't going to fix this supply issue. Markets will move sideways until more evidence of the virus impact hits home. Supply chains are only starting to feel the effects of China's continued export situation and global tourism related industries are going to be hammered. Already lots of large gatherings cancelled globally. Long way to go on this one. Stay tuned.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
We cut out oil down to next to nothing on Feb 21 and 28. Still holding a little chunk of Pembina and Suncor.

Loving gold here and gold stocks, thank you FED. We are heading to $1700+ oz I think.
Let's hope so. Im up a nice percentage on my gold stock since buying it back in 2017. I'm keeping an eye on Imperial Oil. If they drop I'll be buying in. They have lots of cash on hand, pay a good dividend, and are diversified enough to have a bit of a moat around them.