Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonnin View Post
My buddy got a positive result on his buck from 160 after he had $300 worth of sausage made. Took about a month for his results.

I'm still waiting, submitted Nov.20

So your friend took meat to a butcher to make sausage before he had CWD results? Thats sure a good way to cross contaminate other peoples meat as well.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:36 AM

We’ve just gone through prime holiday taking time, and all the Wainwright heads were sent in just before the holidays. We didn’t get our wainwright results till mid March last year.
They will come when the come, there’s likely a huge back log, as submissions ramp up as November progresses.

Chill out.

As for sending in meat in to have sausage made before you’ve got test results, well....... maybe it’s time to upgrade some educational type things.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-10-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonnin View Post
My buddy got a positive result on his buck from 160 after he had $300 worth of sausage made. Took about a month for his results.
Not a good move on his part. We debone and separate and wait for results before we spend time and money on meat we are having tested.

LC
Old 01-10-2020, 11:41 AM

I thought the commercial butchers weren't allowed to process an animal from a CWD zone until the results were in? Only hold the animal in the freezer. I can not say for sure as I now process my own meat.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I thought the commercial butchers weren't allowed to process an animal from a CWD zone until the results were in? Only hold the animal in the freezer. I can not say for sure as I now process my own meat.
Nope there is no regulations related to that whatsoever... should there be? Perhaps... if it ever happened I bet no one would take wild game anymore. They can’t afford to tie up the freezer space and guys getting it butchered wouldn’t want to pay $10-20/day either.

LC
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM

Still waiting. 116
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Nope, a CWD positive animal could even be processed after receiving the results. No regulations are in place requiring a hunter to disclose it was a positive that I am aware of. Some hunters aren't concerned if it has CWD and are still willing to process and eat the animal.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Nope, a CWD positive animal could even be processed after receiving the results. No regulations are in place requiring a hunter to disclose it was a positive that I am aware of. Some hunters aren't concerned if it has CWD and are still willing to process and eat the animal.
Well I guess I will never be using the butcher again if they process deer now. Any meat could be contaminated with CWD if there is no quarantine process in place.
Only reason I asked was because I heard a butcher purchased a refrigerated sea can to store deer while he was awaiting CWD results

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-12-2020, 01:09 PM

Dropped my two mulie heads off 2nd week Nov.
Got the results back last week neg.
thats 7weeks.
not that impressed but I realize the holidays where in there.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 AM

My dad just came back from Italy where they hunted wild boar and there they bring them to a station similar to here but a vet/inspector tests them right there and then. Whatever is positive gets taken and burned asap, this is what should be done here, so you can process right away.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT1 View Post
My dad just came back from Italy where they hunted wild boar and there they bring them to a station similar to here but a vet/inspector tests them right there and then. Whatever is positive gets taken and burned asap, this is what should be done here, so you can process right away.
I’m quite sure the testing for CWD isn’t a bingo bango bongo kind of test, so instant test results are not possible.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 AM

It seems like it is hit and miss for getting results back.

Dropped my head off on Nov.15 and I got a call 2 weeks later telling it was positive for CWD.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I’m quite sure the testing for CWD isn’t a bingo bango bongo kind of test, so instant test results are not possible.
I know its not a 1 hr thing ,but they collect the blood or tissue sample the day you bring in and the result should be in your hand 7 -10 days at most, I have friends that it took them to get results almost 5 weeks later, that is crap.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I know its not a 1 hr thing ,but they collect the blood or tissue sample the day you bring in and the result should be in your hand 7 -10 days at most, I have friends that it took them to get results almost 5 weeks later, that is crap.
They are testing for a specific prion found in a sample of the brain stem.

My understanding is it requires a specific skill set from the people doing the tests, and a rigid laboratory process and conditions.

Your expectations if met would cost millions upon millions of dollars to see happen, who do you think should pay for all of this?

What would these trained lab techs do once all the samples are done with?

There are no absolutes
Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
They are testing for a specific prion found in a sample of the brain stem.

My understanding is it requires a specific skill set from the people doing the tests, and a rigid laboratory process and conditions.

Your expectations if met would cost millions upon millions of dollars to see happen, who do you think should pay for all of this?

What would these trained lab techs do once all the samples are done with?

Why would it cost millions, there were 8000 heads turned in last year they say $80 to test each one that makes $640000, and of that $80 it costs $21 disposal [which is one big hole in a field] so really. All licenses went up ,your getting taxed up the ass so really they should take their head out of theirs, get a move on it, either your a union worker or government worker. Sick of all the dam excuses, Enough said from here!!!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Why would it cost millions, there were 8000 heads turned in last year they say $80 to test each one that makes $640000, and of that $80 it costs $21 disposal [which is one big hole in a field] so really. All licenses went up ,your getting taxed up the ass so really they should take their head out of theirs, get a move on it, either your a union worker or government worker. Sick of all the dam excuses, Enough said from here!!!
Maybe you could outline your plan in terms of logistics and budgeting on how to vastly increase the speed of testing while minimizing the cost increases and fire off an email to the Minister? A change could be in place for next year.

Last edited by LJalberta; 01-14-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:06 AM

With the spread and rates of CWD increasing, this is truly a growth industry.

The government will act as we allow it to.

If 4+ weeks is unacceptable, a solution to eliminate the wait will be found.
10-14 day test results is becoming a norm elsewhere.

It's a great opportunity for private labs to step up.
They will, if hunters can convince the government to share the workload.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM

Interesting. According to a Field and Stream article from 5 months ago, Michigan was aiming to get their test results back with a two week turnaround time which would put them as the fastest in the US. I'd be interested in seeing different jurisdictions average turnaround time
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Where’s the info?

Where would someone find the test results, percentage of positive cases? I’ve looked around and can’t find the results.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM

I shot a mature Muley buck in 202 two months ago, still waiting 😡
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Where would someone find the test results, percentage of positive cases? I’ve looked around and can’t find the results.
Pretty tough to find publicly online when they haven't even let the hunters who submitted know yet.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 AM

So we had a CWD technician contact us requesting more info on where we had harvested our Muley buck . She said they had over 10 000 samples this year and are now working on samples from nov24 and as we had sent our sample in almost the end of the month it would be at least 3 more weeks .
We had harvested a beautiful mature muley buck that looked very healthy but when we skinned it out there was no fat on the deer at all so we are very interested to see if the deer had been infected until then it was quartered up and froze until we get the results
Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Default negative

Got mine back today - muley doe shot third week of November tested Negative - sausage time.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:05 AM

Got mine back a couple days ago and it was negative as expected, dropped off Nov 24.

My buck was from WMU 305, but figured it doesn’t hurt to have another data point.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM

It took 2.5 months for me to get results back on my deer. Besides the speed of the testing/receiving results, I wonder if our government is interested in trying to control the spread of CWD through our province. If so, they may need to look at ways of preventing people from travelling from a known CWD zone (mandatory submission) to a non-CWD zone (no mandatory submission) where they reside. Since CWD is spread through tissues and bodily fluids, AND CANNOT be removed from soil, should we really examine how hunter transportation of potentially positive CWD animals could contribute to the spread of the disease? Additionally, is anyone else concerned about butcher shops unknowingly processing diseased animals and potentially spreading CWD to other customers through contaminated equipment?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Pretty tough to find publicly online when they haven't even let the hunters who submitted know yet.
I meant for 2018 hunting season and prior.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:38 PM

took two months for mine.got result this morning.
time to feast.:sHa_shakesh out:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Well just got my results back for my mule buck, positive 😢, that makes 3 out of 4 mulies positive and we are still waiting on 1 more, zone 202. The other 2 positives were does
Old 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Dropped off samples on November 26, got an email on January 21 that it was negative. This was a mature buck taken in 130.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:15 PM

My hunting partner received hos negative results yesterday the head was dropped off at Cabelas the third Saturday in November.