Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Default same old horse beat to death... comes back again... buying a new vehicle

As i stated in the title, i know this subjuct comes up quite regularly, and I guess it's my turn to bring it up.

Question to the people in the know... What discount can i realistically count on getting buying a new domestic truck (ram) with a 70K +/- sticker price? Two of the people i know purchased new Ram recently, one got about 20k off 100K sticker for 1 ton, other - about 15 off 87 half-ton. I have seen times and times again 25% off the sticker is not a problem. It's the end of the year, boxing day, christmas time, hanuka and i don't know what else. And on top of that read an article that FCA overproduced (or undersold) tons of the vehicles and pushing them to clear (though apparently FCA denying it).

So, what can i bring 70K down to?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:06 PM

I have been shopping new Dodges too. Go on Dodge website. It will show you exactly what the factory rebates etc. are for the specific model on the build it yourself pages. You should expect to do at least that well with the dealer, perhaps better if he has what you want on the lot. The issue right now is finding exactly what you want. I actually had Crosstown price me out a 2020 2500 done EXACTLY the way I want it. They offered me a price that came within $500 of the heavily discounted 2019, 2500 models that are available in Alberta. For that little difference I would go the one year newer and get exactly the color and options I want.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-23-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:16 PM

the Irony is that the $100K truck has not seen a technology change to justify the increase from the 2015 price. So for $100K, being fair, is really a $60K truck.

As for the $70 K truck, it was a $47 K truck in 2015. Again, tell me that something has changed in the Technology to justify the price jump.

It has not. Any bells and whistles improvements are nominal in cost.

What has changed is that the US economy has flourished, so there is plenty of demand at home in the US. No need to be cheap in Canada, if the Canucks won't pay, the US consumer IS!!! Just look at the price of US built boats, firearms, etc, and you will see what I mean.

However, it seems that the need to support the Dealer, and a surplus of stock in Canada is in your favour.

Simply go to the Dealer, make the Offer, and when they WHINE that it is below cost, tell the Sales Manager to contact the Western Canadian Sales VP and ask for a reduction of the Cost to Dealer. It will take about a week, but you might pay what you want.

The Dealer still gets his margin then, and the Manufacturer has one less unit to clear.

Drewski
Old 12-23-2019, 01:11 PM

And another option is, buy last years model in January, after a year on the dealers sales lot, the dealer needs to start making payments on last years model, so a deal could still be done with last years model. they will sell it so they the dealer, don't need to make payments on said vehicle.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:30 AM

Buy at the end of the month when they need to get their numbers up.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:45 PM

So i have some movement in my question. They found one truck similar to what i wanted, knocked off 17k right off the bat (to 60 down from 77). You guys figure there's still room for wiggle? It may seem like quite a lot but that's what FCA advertising right now for '19 trucks - 17 to 20 k off.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
So i have some movement in my question. They found one truck similar to what i wanted, knocked off 17k right off the bat (to 60 down from 77). You guys figure there's still room for wiggle? It may seem like quite a lot but that's what FCA advertising right now for '19 trucks - 17 to 20 k off.
At that starting MSRP I assume that is a Laramie level 1500 with the 5.7. If they are offering 17 off on a 2500 then that is a GREAT deal but still very good on a 1500. If they are bringing from another dealer may not be a lot more cash wiggle room. May be able to get some add ons tossed in though like matts, bed liner etc. Also, if you are financing I would be negotiating that hard as Chrysler has a bunch of 2.99% deals on top of the big discounts.

That said, tell them you are shopping a few options and I would for sure ask them what the very best price is they will offer so you don't waste time having to go in and play stupid dealer games. I find that starts it out better than putting my price on the table first. Once you get their price you can always put your on the table lower and see if they will come down to you. The big Chrysler incentives end Jan 2, just so you know.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Buy at the end of the month when they need to get their numbers up.
THIS ^^^

I had the best deal ever @ the end of the month in December, Just before January!!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
At that starting MSRP I assume that is a Laramie level 1500 with the 5.7. If they are offering 17 off on a 2500 then that is a GREAT deal but still very good on a 1500. If they are bringing from another dealer may not be a lot more cash wiggle room. May be able to get some add ons tossed in though like matts, bed liner etc. Also, if you are financing I would be negotiating that hard as Chrysler has a bunch of 2.99% deals on top of the big discounts.

That said, tell them you are shopping a few options and I would for sure ask them what the very best price is they will offer so you don't waste time having to go in and play stupid dealer games. I find that starts it out better than putting my price on the table first. Once you get their price you can always put your on the table lower and see if they will come down to you. The big Chrysler incentives end Jan 2, just so you know.
This is the Sport trim, but with just about every possible option. Yes, from different dealership. Problem is, there's about $6500 worth of options i don't care about. And another problem is some options i DO want not available for sport trim. Going there on Thursday to maybe look at ordering one. And yeah, initial offer was 3.99 for 96 months. I think we gonna have a little conversation with the financing dept as well.

The mock-up build i did on the internet gives me Laramie exactly the way i want for same or even slightly lower MSRP.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM

So how did you end up making out buying a new Dodge? Curious if you managed to close a deal while the big discounts were around.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
So how did you end up making out buying a new Dodge? Curious if you managed to close a deal while the big discounts were around.
Also curious. I have a college friend who sells for Dodge, who hopefully will be giving me the best deals possible. Curious what you ended up with....
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Also curious. I have a college friend who sells for Dodge, who hopefully will be giving me the best deals possible. Curious what you ended up with....

Just bought a new Jeep GC.

Might find the info in this thread useful. Dodge detailed info is the last few posts. Would have bought from Steve at Crosstown but they didn't have the exact colours she wanted. Got an email price from Londonderry as tehy had one in stock with 13 Klms on it. Made me a pretty good deal that Crosstown said they couldn't quite match so bought it there.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=373816
Old 01-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, ended up ordering 2020 longhorn. Unfortunately there was nothing remotely close to what i wanted out off the 2019 inventory, and i mean not even close options-wise and distance-wise. So I was SOL for "end of the month/year" deals that were offered for '19.
Talked to 4 dealerships. One left me with the feeling that all the people who work there left for lunch, and left a couple of kids to fill the chairs. Was in and out in about 15 min.
Talked to the fleet manager in the second one (personal reference from one of my friends). Unfortunately, according to him, he couldn't offer any "fleet" deals as i am not fleet. He was quite upfront about everything, and no pressure whatsoever, it was like "here's what i can do, take it or leave".
3rd dealership sounded kinda desperate to make a deal, but i got i guess one of the younger sales guys and constant running to the manager for every question I've had was tiring. I showed up with the print out of the truck i wanted and asked what they could do. They couldn't even replicate it on their system even though it came from that system from different dealership, printed out 30 mins prior.
Wealth of knowledge from the last guy, also the fact that my good friend's dad just bought almost exactly the same truck from the same guy also helped me make a decision (and I've known that family over 20 years, i know how anal they can be in situations like that). Having a chance to touch, smell, lick, etc his brand new truck he received one week prior and actually discuss with him so the options he chose and i wanted helped a lot.
Why longhorn?
Initially was ok with "sport" trim, but half of the options i wanted was moved over to Rebel. And some options available on "Sport" weren't available on Rebel. I built what i wanted based on the Laramie, but for poops and giggles built one based on Longhorn. Only $400 difference!!! But interior options and craftsmanship are world apart.

So... I'm a little over my budget, but not horribly so. Few more weeks and i have new wheels!!!