Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Default Starfish Varadero Cuba on Sunwing

Anybody stay here before looking for reviews

and now the questions

Best place to buy money resort, ATM, bank? CUC's OR CUP's ?

What's to see on foot or good bus tours

Already been told to bring bubba cup, ketchup, spice's, hot sauce, toilet paper and a towel anything else?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Anybody stay here before looking for reviews

and now the questions

Best place to buy money resort, ATM, bank? CUC's OR CUP's ?

What's to see on foot or good bus tours

Already been told to bring bubba cup, ketchup, spice's, hot sauce, toilet paper and a towel anything else?
We went to Iberostar Laguna Isul (Spelling?) over Christmas of 2017. I bought the CUC at the airport, you just have to provide your passport. You can also do it at the hotel. I don't think there is a big difference in price but I would for sure get CUC. We went on one of the big catamaran tours and that was a lot of fun. Right on the beach, there was little catamarans that would take you about a mile out and you would snorkel and feed the fish bread, I think it was $20 CUC per person and it was well worth it. We mainly hung out in the ocean, and the pool. You can get a bus pass for the whole day for $2 CUC. We went into Veradero and it was super safe. The big market is at the far end of town. We got off the bus at the close end and walked the 4 miles through the entire town. Never once was I worried about safety. We also went down to the Marina and checked out the market there as well.

The condiments are getting better, they do have ketchup but it tastes like a mix of ketchup and bbq sauce. Our food was decent, my wife is kind of picky so she didn't care for it much but I ate everything.

My wife went to the store and packed panty hose, hair elastics, and other daily items for the maids and we made them little gift bags.

The people are super nice and very helpful.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Banned

your only choice in Cuba is to buy your cucs from the govt. It wont matter where you buy. Only other thing to add would be bug spray. The one resort in Cuba that I went to in the evening had the worst mosquitos. I've been to many places In cuba and only ran into this problem once but their bug spray didnt help.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:47 PM

If you're staying in Varadero, one thing that I would highly recommend is doing a day trip into Havana in a taxi or vintage car (quick note taxi's usually have working a/c, old cars not so much). Very interesting city, and the drivers are fluent in English and very knowledgeable when it comes to Cuban history. They do stop off at some of the tourist traps along the highway, but if you're not interested you can ask them to keep driving.

The next time in Cuba, I'll make sure that I get a chance to spend a few days in Havana, and will probably not stay in any resorts. The casa particulars (like a B&B) seem like a much better option to me. Most of the guesthouses look really clean and well looked after, home-cooked meals, and you get to meet a local family and learn a bit about the real Cuba.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
If you're staying in Varadero, one thing that I would highly recommend is doing a day trip into Havana in a taxi or vintage car (quick note taxi's usually have working a/c, old cars not so much). Very interesting city, and the drivers are fluent in English and very knowledgeable when it comes to Cuban history. They do stop off at some of the tourist traps along the highway, but if you're not interested you can ask them to keep driving.
We did this trip in an old 50s Volvo, pretty cool but the exhaust leaked so by the time we got there I had a brutal headache. Only had a few hours there, I’d love to go back and spend a week or so looking around.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Stayed at Memories Jibacoa, half way between Varadero and Havana recently. good place to avoid mass tourism, always a plus. I just bought my limited CUC at the hotel. Mastercard is your friend. Tours weren't difficult to access. Did an over nighter to Vinales, definitely a must see place.

https://ca.hotels.com/ho695054/memor...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 10-09-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Bug spray good tip
I'm setting old Havana as a priority, really want to see the old buildings and I'm a big museum fan should be lots to see and do. Riding in 50's car should be a blast checked out the price it wasn't bad 160 CUC in a taxi.
Looking forward to going thanks for the tips.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Stayed at Memories Jibacoa, half way between Varadero and Havana recently. good place to avoid mass tourism, always a plus. I just bought my limited CUC at the hotel. Mastercard is your friend. Tours weren't difficult to access. Did an over nighter to Vinales, definitely a must see place.

https://ca.hotels.com/ho695054/memor...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Grizz
Stayed there when it was called Breezes Jibacoa.
Quiet place-adult only-good snorkeling right off the beach, but unfortunately was a year after the Gulf Spill and Jellyfish were pretty thick.
And some petroleum smells in the morning if the wind was right/wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The next time in Cuba, I'll make sure that I get a chance to spend a few days in Havana, and will probably not stay in any resorts. The casa particulars (like a B&B) seem like a much better option to me. Most of the guesthouses look really clean and well looked after, home-cooked meals, and you get to meet a local family and learn a bit about the real Cuba.
The wife and I did this about 8 years ago and it was a great time. We took the bus around the island and backpacked our way to 4-5 different cities. A couple of the Casa particulares we stayed in were actually owned by doctors. They make more cash running a B&B than performing surgery, pretty wild.

My only complaint is that I ate so many lobsters and drank so much dark rum that I got real bad gout while there. I’m sure the 4 cigars a day didn’t help that either.

OP if you end up in Varadero, take a walk down the beach away from your resort. The beach at the resorts is packed like cattle but if you walk 500m down the beach it’s deserted. I’ve been all over the world and I’ve yet to see a beach as nice as Varadero.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
My only complaint is that I ate so many lobsters and drank so much dark rum that I got real bad gout while there. I’m sure the 4 cigars a day didn’t help that either.
Allopurinol and Colchicine are always in my kit LOL

I'll be down there for Grey cup I hope they have the game on
Old 10-09-2019, 09:31 PM

We have went to cuba 4 times in the last 3 years. Been to cayo santa maria, cayo coco and varadero. We went to varadero this summer and was not impressed at all the hotels are real run down compared to the other areas. Check out cayo coco it way nicer there.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
The wife and I did this about 8 years ago and it was a great time. We took the bus around the island and backpacked our way to 4-5 different cities. A couple of the Casa particulares we stayed in were actually owned by doctors. They make more cash running a B&B than performing surgery, pretty wild.

OP if you end up in Varadero, take a walk down the beach away from your resort. The beach at the resorts is packed like cattle but if you walk 500m down the beach it’s deserted. I’ve been all over the world and I’ve yet to see a beach as nice as Varadero.
The last time we were there we stayed in an apartment at the marina on the tip of Varadero. It was a bit isolated however, but pretty quiet. Would head into Varadero town to eat and go to the beach. Some pretty good food there, and like you said, very few people on the beach.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Highlight was definitely Havana, a must see. Friendly helpful people and you weren’t harassed all the time like in Mexico. Very safe place. Get off the beaten path to find good food. Best restaurant was in the middle of a park, way back off the Main Street. Stone building, great sea food and cheap.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC7stw View Post
Highlight was definitely Havana, a must see. Friendly helpful people and you weren’t harassed all the time like in Mexico. Very safe place. Get off the beaten path to find good food. Best restaurant was in the middle of a park, way back off the Main Street. Stone building, great sea food and cheap.
I'm gonna say, you have to see the island west of Havana.

Grizz
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM

We went there in April. Was supposed to stay at Paradisus princesa del mar. Anyway, after a couple hour run around we were transferred to a "new" resort that wasn't open to the public yet. Very skeptical but we took it. Melia Internacional. Superb hotel and food. Check it out. It beats out a Dreams resort in playa del carmen, which was our previous nicest resort we stayed at.

https://www.sunwing.ca/en/hotel/cuba...SAAEgLB9fD_BwE

It's only 6 months old. And its the first hotel on the Varadero strip, walking distance. Penelope Cruz and Benecio del Toro were there when we were. We spent 6 of 7 nights at the beatles bar in Varadero, the other night at the cave bar. We went to Havana on a private tour van with this guy.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...ince_Cuba.html

Won't find a better tour guide. He has been to Canada a few times and has friends in Kelowna, he's a Cuban native.

We went golfing 3 rounds. It was a great trip. CUC available at hotel and ATM in Varadero, right across from beatles bar.

Enjoy
Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM

Update

The Starfish is an older resort after a couple room changes (no working AC) we had a bungalow close to everything. Yes the buffet food sucked we had 3 Ala carts, went into town a few nights, burgers and fries at the sports bar and cabana we were able to avoid the buffet.

Havana tour was interesting lots of history the islands been conquered and lost lost a dozen times explains why all the Cubans come in every race on the planet.
The day we went to Havana a parade to honor eight medical students that were unjustly shot in 1871, the students were marching in uniforms the color determines what grade they are in burgundy grade 1-6 brown 7-8 etc. very neatly dressed.

Sugar cane and rum tour was really good, drank some sugarcane juice, they gave us two free bottles of rum after a dozen samples.

I'd go back in a heartbeat the friendliest people anywhere, never any fear of danger, nobody drunk or passed out anywhere like in Edmonton, a bottle of rum can cost $3

Tip
Don't take any unused CUC's to the airport!
The government changed the rules because tourists were taking unspent CUC's home. The currency exchanges close during outgoing flights and they will confiscate any CUC's after you pass through customs.
The friendly bus driver will buy them for with no exchange I had a 20 CUC bill he gave me a Can $20

Cuba was a blast going again in January
Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 PM

Would not recommend going sunwing anywhere, unless you are ok with being stuck in an airplane with no A/C for over 8 hours
Old 12-03-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Update

The Starfish is an older resort after a couple room changes (no working AC) we had a bungalow close to everything. Yes the buffet food sucked we had 3 Ala carts, went into town a few nights, burgers and fries at the sports bar and cabana we were able to avoid the buffet.

Havana tour was interesting lots of history the islands been conquered and lost lost a dozen times explains why all the Cubans come in every race on the planet.
The day we went to Havana a parade to honor eight medical students that were unjustly shot in 1871, the students were marching in uniforms the color determines what grade they are in burgundy grade 1-6 brown 7-8 etc. very neatly dressed.

Sugar cane and rum tour was really good, drank some sugarcane juice, they gave us two free bottles of rum after a dozen samples.

I'd go back in a heartbeat the friendliest people anywhere, never any fear of danger, nobody drunk or passed out anywhere like in Edmonton, a bottle of rum can cost $3

Tip
Don't take any unused CUC's to the airport!
The government changed the rules because tourists were taking unspent CUC's home. The currency exchanges close during outgoing flights and they will confiscate any CUC's after you pass through customs.
The friendly bus driver will buy them for with no exchange I had a 20 CUC bill he gave me a Can $20

Cuba was a blast going again in January
Great to hear you had a good time, we really like Cuba as well. Very interesting history, and fantastic local people.

Funny you mentioned nobody drunk or passed out. On the way to the airport for departure back to Edmonton, our bus picked a guy up from the Starfish who was completely obliterated. With our luck he was seated right in front of us on the plane, kept moaning and dry heaving most of the way back to Edmonton. I was ready to take my belt off and strangle him. Gotta love unlimited booze and red eye return flights. Won't blame it on the resort however, as they were probably glad he was on his way

That being said, I'll definitely be returning to Cuba, just never again with Sunwing (or as my daughter calls it Scumwing)
Old 12-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Just before I left a couple of trailer park queens came to starfish, why a 280 lb female would want to be staggering drunk spewing profanity while twerking in a string bikini at 10 AM is beyond me. Her obviously pregnant partner holding a cigarette in one hand and rum drink in the other was cheering her on.

I covered the maple leaf on my shirt with my hand, sometimes it's embarrassing to be a Canadian my friend suggested we should video the action, I said don't nobody wants to see that twice.

Never had a problem with Sunwing smooth sailing both ways
Old 12-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Just before I left a couple of trailer park queens came to starfish, why a 280 lb female would want to be staggering drunk spewing profanity while twerking in a string bikini at 10 AM is beyond me. Her obviously pregnant partner holding a cigarette in one hand and rum drink in the other was cheering her on.

I covered the maple leaf on my shirt with my hand, sometimes it's embarrassing to be a Canadian my friend suggested we should video the action, I said don't nobody wants to see that twice.

Never had a problem with Sunwing smooth sailing both ways

You just painted a terrible picture, did you every consider writing children's books ? That's why we typically avoid the resorts now. Last time in Varadero we stayed in a nice 2 bdrm apartment overlooking the marina. No included meals/drinks, but the pool bar and snack bar in the apartment complex usually had two incredibly nice people manning them, and we didn't need to witness the double-wide fashion show that you described. Eeew.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You just painted a terrible picture, did you every consider writing children's books ? That's why we typically avoid the resorts now. Last time in Varadero we stayed in a nice 2 bdrm apartment overlooking the marina. No included meals/drinks, but the pool bar and snack bar in the apartment complex usually had two incredibly nice people manning them, and we didn't need to witness the double-wide fashion show that you described. Eeew.
This was my first so I went all inclusive in January I think we will stay at a hotel close to Varadero eat out, buy beer and rum locally. I really didn't drink a whole lot in my younger days the free drinks would be worth it.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
This was my first so I went all inclusive in January I think we will stay at a hotel close to Varadero eat out, buy beer and rum locally. I really didn't drink a whole lot in my younger days the free drinks would be worth it.
In all honesty, I have preferred 3-Star resorts to 5-star. Prices were lower, expectations were lower and I didn't feel as obligated to stick around. Plus they were usually quite a bit smaller. My next trip to Varadero will also be to a smaller non-inclusive hotel close to Varadero town, or even maybe a casa particular. Then I'll be focusing on checking out the countryside a bit more. Enjoy your next trip, January is always a pretty nice time to get away.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Sunwing is an airline for people who have NEVER traveled. The gene pool on those flights are staggering to say the least
But when you book a VACA on price point only, you get what you pay for..