Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Re-barrel

Anyone know a place to get a new barrel put on a browning x-bolt? Thinking 6.5WSM or 6.5PRC.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Banned

Ks arms
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun View Post
Anyone know a place to get a new barrel put on a browning x-bolt? Thinking 6.5WSM or 6.5PRC.
Thanks

RKS,David Henry, Bob Galloway have all done good work with WSM’ and I am pretty sure Ron Smith and David Henry both have 6.5 WSM readers ,
Cat
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
RKS,David Henry, Bob Galloway have all done good work with WSM’ and I am pretty sure Ron Smith and David Henry both have 6.5 WSM readers ,

Cat

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Banned

Rjc precision machine grande prairie or ...rps international in spruce grove...

https://www.facebook.com/RPS-Interna...2824114853673/
Old 11-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Ks arms
Good luck with that. Ordered a 20BR barrel from them last year. following is my experience.

1. Cerakote finish on my old barrel is damaged, due to they heated it up to remove it. (just a few inches ahead of the receiver, see attached pic) moreover, they didn't tell me, until I found it out, and asked them. Karl told me he can't remove the old barrel, so they used some torque thingy to heat it up... Not saying I'm better than a reputation gunsmith, but I do can swap this rifle's barrel in my garage within 10 minutes. did it couple times. Maybe they just didn't know this rifle too much. If they can let me know in the first place, I can remove it without any damaged made.

2. The new barrel didn't chamber in the spec I wanted. I wrote the spec down and gave it to Mike, but they still use a different reamer, without let me know in advance. When I picked it up on their store, it's already chambered. which also caused me lots of pain to reloading, like the brasses I pre-prepared can't be used anymore, and my le wilson seater die doesn't fit this spec very well.

3. When I backed to home on the day I picked it up, I found the riflings in my new barrel has faulty(some rifling is even missing!!!), by using lyman borescope. I didn't go back to KS arm to ask them to return, which I should. Anyway, I just went to range to break in. I met a friend there, he said KS arm is good, if they did something wrong, they'll correct it. So I went back to KS Arm, but both Karl and Mike refused, Karl even said its caused by my clean rod. I said I'm using tipton rod, brass jag, copper brush, which will not damage a steel rifling. If you know me or saw some of my target papers, you know at least I know how to clean a rifle properly. Karl became ridicious, said you know how to clean a barrel, but you don't know how to clean this barrel. .

I also mentioned I can show them the borescope pics I took from the day I picked it up. Mike said they don't want to see it, and even said "it's your word against mine". What kind of people they are!

KS Arm got good reputation, and many people in this forum are happy with them, recommend them. Obviously, I'm not one of them. Personally, I supported local business and really want a good gunsmith in the city, but they just didn't work for me. What's worse is, After I put the old barrel on, I feel this rifle doesn't shoot as good as before, maybe caused by the heated up they did, or some other thing they did without tell me, maybe just i feel wrong, I have no idea. It's an accuracy international rifle, not cheap, the best I can afford. always hope to shoot a 5x5 1/4 moa target paper with this baby, now it's just a dream for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5555.jpg (74.3 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by sns2; 11-05-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:16 PM

I'd recommend KS arms they have been absolutely phenomenal for my rifles. All shoot sub moa out to 500m. I have a 6mm Dasher and 284win done by them. I'll soon have my practice rifle done by them as well in 6.5CM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
Good luck with that. Ordered a 20BR barrel from them last year. following is my experience.

1. Cerakote finish on my old barrel is damaged, due to they heated it up to remove it. (just a few inches ahead of the receiver, see attached pic) moreover, they didn't tell me, until I found it out, and asked them. Karl told me he can't remove the old barrel, so they used some torque thingy to heat it up... Not saying I'm better than a reputation gunsmith, but I do can swap this rifle's barrel in my garage within 10 minutes. did it couple times. Maybe they just didn't know this rifle too much. If they can let me know in the first place, I can remove it without any damaged made.

2. The new barrel didn't chamber in the spec I wanted. I wrote the spec down and gave it to Mike, but they still use a different reamer, without let me know in advance. When I picked it up on their store, it's already chambered. which also caused me lots of pain to reloading, like the brasses I pre-prepared can't be used anymore, and my le wilson seater die doesn't fit this spec very well.

3. When I backed to home on the day I picked it up, I found the riflings in my new barrel has faulty(some rifling is even missing!!!), by using lyman borescope. I didn't go back to KS arm to ask them to return, which I should. Anyway, I just went to range to break in. I met a friend there, he said KS arm is good, if they did something wrong, they'll correct it. So I went back to KS Arm, but both Karl and Mike refused, Karl even said its caused by my clean rod. I said I'm using tipton rod, brass jag, copper brush, which will not damage a steel rifling. If you know me or saw some of my target papers, you know at least I know how to clean a rifle properly. Karl became ridicious, said you know how to clean a barrel, but you don't know how to clean this barrel. WTF.

I also mentioned I can show them the borescope pics I took from the day I picked it up. Mike said they don't want to see it, and even said "it's your word against mine". What kind of people they are!

KS Arm got good reputation, and many people in this forum are happy with them, recommend them. Obviously, I'm not one of them. Personally, I supported local business and really want a good gunsmith in the city, but they just didn't work for me. What's worse is, After I put the old barrel on, I feel this rifle doesn't shoot as good as before, maybe caused by the heated up they did, or some other thing they did without tell me, maybe just i feel wrong, I have no idea. It's an accuracy international rifle, not cheap, the best I can afford. always hope to shoot a 5x5 1/4 moa target paper with this baby, now it's just a dream for me
Don't feel bad you are not the only one. They fogure they know it all. Far from the truth sad to say.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:53 PM

I see your rifle was an accuracy Int'l. Not many people I would trust to spin a barrel for those. They all say they can do it, but there are enough subtleties that if they spin it up as per normal you will have issues. Insite Arms or Fred Plummer in Calgary are good with them.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 AM

Just off hand, I would think you could possibly buy another rifle for the price of a rebarrel and then you would have two.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I see your rifle was an accuracy Int'l. Not many people I would trust to spin a barrel for those. They all say they can do it, but there are enough subtleties that if they spin it up as per normal you will have issues. Insite Arms or Fred Plummer in Calgary are good with them.
+1 on Insite Arms in Lloydminster. Harley really loves craftsmanship and he has state of the art tooling. He did a long range rifle for me which delivers sub 1/2 MOA over distance. also like to throw in Pud at Bashaw Sports as another great resource for most gunsmithing projects. he has done work for me and I have confidence in his skill.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Just off hand, I would think you could possibly buy another rifle for the price of a rebarrel and then you would have two.
Rebarrel does cost pretty much what a new factory rifle costs but until u have shot a good, well installed custom barrel u will always have trouble believing how good they are. Once u spin on a good custom barrel u will never go back. I have some great factory barreled rifles that are phenomenally accurate, but ease of cleaning plus fit finish and cold bore poi goes to the customs.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Default What issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
So what subtleties have you heard of? I’ve seen no difference in AI barrel tenon or chambeing process, and they are a rather simple design.