Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Yes let's kill people with mental health issues...
Sometimes sarcasm is difficult to detect. Noticing the use of an evil smiley should be a hint.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
To the people who believe addicts should not be saved....imagine arriving at a front door and seeing the look on a mother’s face when she has discovered her son/daughter in respiratory arrest after overdosing. He had been clean for a several months, was holding down a job etc, but something happened and he decided to fall back on his old crutch. Without thinking about it, he loaded his needle with his “regular dose”, unfortunately his tolerance was not what it used to be”. Now imagine telling her there is nothing you can do to help.......really picture that.

How about this one.....dad is a heavy duty mechanic and slipped a disc on the job....dad has a script for oxys to help manage the pain. His 13 year old son decided to try a few to see what all the fuss is about....mom finds him 45 min later in a puddle of his own vomit choking on his tongue. Lost cause I guess.....

Any smokers here, clinically obese folks, problem drinkers/alcoholics?.....
Well said! Theres alot of intentionally ignorant people and I sure hope it's just keyboard warriors. The truth if this whole thing just boils down to taking time to help someone. It's not a question to cure mental health or fix social woes. Its about helping someone whose down. Lots here wouldn't and that sure is sad...
Old 09-03-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Sometimes sarcasm is difficult to detect. Noticing the use of an evil smiley should be a hint.
My bad! Only emojis I know is the eggplant and taco...
Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Helping people inject illegal drugs by giving them safe places to do so and clean needles is wrong. And now we are supposed to save them by giving them an injection when they overdose? Just so they can shoot up less than an hour later with the same outcome?

Give your head a shake if you think this is acceptable... It’s not and just another example of our deteriorating society.

This nonsense has to stop, but, I know it won’t. Just going to get worse from here on in...
Wrong from a moral perspective sure, but there are some positive spinoff effects from safe injection sites, it's not just about giving a junkie a place to shoot up.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...es-save-lives/

From that link, "In San Francisco, for example, one analysis concluded that for every dollar spent on such sites, $2.33 in emergency medical, law enforcement and other costs would be reduced, producing a yearly net savings of 3.5 million."

Personally I'm on the fence about them and I don't think it's at all fair for a junkie to get free rigs while someone with diabetes has to pay for his. The diabetic didn't choose to be one, unlike a junkie. But if it saves taxpayers in the long run, I can see their purpose.

If you hate save injection sites check out Norways strategy. Free Heroine for all

Portugal is an interesting study on legalizing all drugs across the board, worth looking into and seeing the different perspectives besides just catering to druggies.

Claiming they are just taxpayer funded shooting galleries that only benefit junkies is simply inaccurate.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Don’t blame me because someone you know made a stupid choice, unless someone forced them to take the drugs, the choice was theirs and theirs alone.
You're assuming all OD's are from junkies shooting smack or Fentanyl, they aren't.

Some OD's are legitimately accidental and some the people didn't even know they were taking drugs of any kind. I would guess those cases are few and far between but it still happens.

I get your hardline stance on the willing participants, but not all OD victims are or were willing participants. Just something to keep in mind when generalizing.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
significant trauma, often combined with mental illness and poor social support.

Bingo.
I would venture a guess that this describes the majority of hardcore addicts.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

Personally I'm on the fence about them and I don't think it's at all fair for a junkie to get free rigs while someone with diabetes has to pay for his. The diabetic didn't choose to be one, unlike a junkie. But if it saves taxpayers in the long run, I can see their purpose.
I see these memes on Facebook all the time. Only difference is, diabetics aren’t sharing dirty needles and passing disease around, thus costing taxpayers 20 fold in medical fees.
That is the big picture.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I see these memes on Facebook all the time. Only difference is, diabetics aren’t sharing dirty needles and passing disease around, thus costing taxpayers 20 fold in medical fees.
That is the big picture.
I would also suggest that my tax dollars going towards needles for low-income diabetics wouldn't be a bad thing, either!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I would also suggest that my tax dollars going towards needles for low-income diabetics wouldn't be a bad thing, either!
I'm a type 1 Diabetic, runs around $700 a month. The needles are around $37 for 50. and I use 1 needle for 4-5 injections before I toss out. So nothing crazy. But I could easily just say I'm a heroin addict and get them for free, I haven't used heroin for 23 years and don't plan on it. I fall into the prescribed percs for years, now tough to get through the day without them, usually end up buying them from people who don't like them but like to make a quick buck.

More and more instances of people pressing identical pills these days wih who knows what in them, which is why I also carry a nax kit.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
After many years of battling chronic pain my partner gave into trying opioids so she could have a shot at a some normal life. When she got her first prescription the pharmacist offered us a kit. She wasn't too concerned with it but, I was and gladly accepted it. As for illegal drugs and saving someones life, that's a tough choice on which side of the fence to sit on.
I don't find it to be too tough of a choice. I despise drugs and what they do to families, but I'm not thinking twice about saving someone. That person, junkie or not, has someone that loves them. They were once a 4 month old just like my daughter.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Because joking about murdering people is SO funny, right?

That's a pretty shameful position you're defending.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post

I’ll stick to it, I take it you’ve never heard of gallows humor? Never heard a comedian go down a dark path and come up with something hilarious? It’s absolutely fine if you’re not amused but I’m rejecting the judgement you’re putting out.

Ever stop to consider that I’m one who started this whole thread on saving people from overdoses in the first place? Do you think for a moment I’d actually kill someone? I don’t think that I’m the one that needs to get over themself.

First I’m defending the Naloxone kits against people who think that getting them is enabling junkies, then after that crowd seems to have either piped down or gotten a new perspective then I’m judged on a dark joke. Some people here really need to get off their high horses. The quick-draw torches and pitchforks that some are brandishing would put Jerry Miculek’s record times into question.

This thread is like playing whack-a-mole
Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
$400 per is what I’ve been told by a few First Responders now.
Be nice if they offer free epipen instead of this ... some parents paying big $ for them .
Old 09-03-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Be nice if they offer free epipen instead of this ... some parents paying big $ for them .
While I don't necessarily disagree with your line of thinking, they wouldn't be 'free'.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post

You could use a good dose of Dave Chappelle. Might help reset your humor detector or something.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You could use a good dose of Dave Chappelle. Might help reset your humor detector or something.
Mmmmm peanut butter 'n crack sammitch!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Jumping in late and didn't bother to read everything but my two cents:

Let the junkies remove themselves from the gene pool.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
How old is 15 really?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Some people here really need to get off their high horses.
Maybe it’s you that needs to get off their high horse.

Four pages in and no one has answered my question... I have looked but can’t find anything. I’m sure there are a few instances, but so rare that any of us NON users could be killed by a spider bite at the same percentage of overdosing on opioids.

Yup, I get it. For your job, you could need it, no question. EMT, cops, border guards, jail guards, and many more, not even an argumennt, they all need access to Naloxone.

If you want to carry a kit with you, all good, I could care less.

Now if you want to get into safe injection sites saving money for EMT and Police, what a giant joke. Ask most folks in Lethbridge, including LPS, and residents. They are now looking for volunteers to help manage the big problem in the downtown core. And yes, this is the fallout from the “safe injection site”.

Crime rates there are through the roof! Saving cops money, not a chance!

Last edited by crazy_davey; 09-04-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Maybe people believe that perhaps some aren’t disadvantaged, but privileged and choosing to make poor life choices. Often these people are being enabled by others who may be well meaning, but are often doing more harm than good. Same goes for safe injection sites, most NIMBY proponents think it’s a great idea as long as their neighborhood isn’t affected.

That being said, Naloxone for accidental exposure is a must in this day and age.
Well said!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 AM

CrazyDavey, I do agree with you on the safe injection sites, those things are horrible, total scourges on the community. Those facilities are absolutely enabling drug users and they are also concentrating them in certain areas. Here in Calgary there’s one downtown at the Sheldon Chumir health centre and they’ve had to open a police office there as a result. Imagine being the poor officers stuck with that dog of a posting, or the health care workers for that matter. About the only good thing I can think about those is using them as a bad example by bringing busloads of junior high kids there for scared straight style anti-drug programs. Of course there’s the resulting crime rate in the community surrounding such sites, People’s homes and workplaces being negatively affected as they are. Left as it is it will soon resemble Seattle or San Francisco with the streets being full of human waste. I do see the junkie feces as it is, just not in the quantities those towns have. Of course I drove past junkies on that trip and watched my step in the alley.