Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Should Mods ban members that support gun bans

I'm sure it won't be popular, but if you are on a pro-gun website (AOF) should you be allowed to use the service and post that you are for gun bans?

I don't see those who support bans helping or of being a benefit to those of us that support firearm ownership.

Thoughts
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM

I guess a person could support whatever as long as it's not given to much of a platform on here,It seems though that no matter what the issue is there's always going to be people who will oppose it. For mods to have to patrol this would be difficult IMO.Ive been a gun owner for 50 years and support gun ownership but there will always be anti gun people,just a fact of life, banning a few on here will be pointless IMO,besides these people wouldn't be supported by the general population on here,especially if they are spouting anti guns.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM

As much as I would love to see this happen, I cant see bans happening. Perhaps the mods will just delete those comments as they tend to inflame arguments.
Many of the users just fish and have the right to be anti gun even if they are uneducated on the issues.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Banned

Nope. There's nothing in the rules wrt disagreeing with people's opinions. My disagreeing with people's pro-position on open carry in Canada does not make me anti-firearms. Besides, how are you going to get a feel for what other outdoors-men's position is on any given issue if people are only allowed to post positive support for any given issue?

"This message board intended use is for hunters, anglers, trappers, and all individuals who may be interested in the Outdoors. Therefore, anti-hunters, anti-anglers, and anti-trappers are not welcome to the use of this message board."
Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I guess a person could support whatever as long as it's not given to much of a platform on here,It seems though that no matter what the issue is there's always going to be people who will oppose it. For mods to have to patrol this would be difficult IMO.Ive been a gun owner for 50 years and support gun ownership but there will always be anti gun people,just a fact of life, banning a few on here will be pointless IMO,besides these people wouldn't be supported by the general population on here,especially if they are spouting anti guns.
If this was just a forum for gun owners, then maybe. Taking away someones right to an opinion because its different than your own just doesn't sound right to me.

BW
Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I'm sure it won't be popular, but if you are on a pro-gun website (AOF) should you be allowed to use the service and post that you are for gun bans?

I don't see those who support bans helping or of being a benefit to those of us that support firearm ownership.

Thoughts
No Ban. Two sides on a coin. Respect both sides.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:54 PM

How do you define pro-ban? I think based on your post you may put me in that camp even though many others would consider me a gun nut.

It isn't as clear of a division as you make it out to be. There are differing viewpoints within our community that all deserve a voice.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM

I would be against that. That would be like banning members who favor one political party...

Seriously though, as much as anti gun people frustrate me, I'm sure a lot of my opinions don't fit with other members ideas. I'm always open to listen to peoples opinions before giving mine. IMO, that is how progress is made and opinions changed.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Why would anyone go out of their way to stifle free speech and a viewpoint and then turn around and demand to be heard with their own issues?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Anti hunting posts don't last long, and neither do the people posting them. So what is so different about anti firearms posts, on an outdoors forum?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM

Politics against NDP are banned so why not ban the anti-gunners?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 PM

How do you define "anti-gunner"

Against bolt actions?
Against semi-autos?
Against pistols?
Against machine guns?
Against recoilless rfiles?
Against anti-aircraft cannons?

Who gets to draw the line and call someone an anti-gunner? I can tell you right now I wouldn't be ok with civilian ownership of all of the above.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM

The moment you silence opposing views you begin the creation of a echo chamber, where ignorance and extreme ideas can gain traction. Where does it end? I may disagree with their opinion, but they should never be forbidden from saying it, just as I should always be free to enter into a discussion with them on it.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM
Banned

Absolutely not, freedom of speech is to important to chip away at.

Besides, don't you want to know who they are?

Keep them closer.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Absolutely not, freedom of speech is to important to chip away at.

Besides, don't you want to know who they are?

Keep them closer.
Should the anti hunters be allowed in as well then?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
How do you define "anti-gunner"

Against bolt actions?
Against semi-autos?
Against pistols?
Against machine guns?
Against recoilless rfiles?
Against anti-aircraft cannons?

Who gets to draw the line and call someone an anti-gunner? I can tell you right now I wouldn't be ok with civilian ownership of all of the above.
Anti gunner is anti all guns in my mind.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
How do you define pro-ban? I think based on your post you may put me in that camp even though many others would consider me a gun nut.

It isn't as clear of a division as you make it out to be. There are differing viewpoints within our community that all deserve a voice.
X2

This is exactly the mistake a lot of the groups looking to fill the gap left by The NFA debacle, a lot of us hold nuanced opinions on these matters. I don’t think brining back the old ATT rules makes any sense but I also don’t like the idea of adopting liberal CCW policies.

Does that make me anti-gun?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Should the anti hunters be allowed in as well then?
Different discussion and I don't believe In bans.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM

I don’t agree with banning people for expressing view in a respectful manner. I and many others responded to one poster who expressed something along those lines but upon further review I believe that member was probably trolling as they had previously posted admiration for a specific restricted firearm and posted a YouTube link to that effect.

It is important that we try to keep dialogue respectful and fact-based if we hope to ever sway public opinion or an individuals opinion, nobody gets anywhere when both sides are argumentative and digging in their heels. I know I need this very lesson at times.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Different discussion and I don't believe In bans.
There is a place for everyone. Go and find their own forum. It is like a Chev forum and the Ford guys keep coming in to bash them. This is a private forum owned by a company that owns a hunting magazine. Lots of empty space on the net to set up camp elsewhere.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM

We should only ban anti gun posters if they own pit bulls. Some things are just too far. If Flames and Oilers fans can mostly co-exist here, I suppose some other idjits expressing stupid ideas isn't going to spill the apple cart.

People with different opinions are always going to exist. Trying to shut them down is a tactic of the intolerant left and SJW types (banning 'hate speech' on campuses? At rallies etc). I oppose bans in general, and endorse the freedom to express oneself. If lines are crossed, the mods can deal with it on a case by case basis. If anti hunters and gun types are going to come troll here, they will out themselves soon enough.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
We should only ban anti gun posters if they own pit bulls. Some things are just too far. If Flames and Oilers fans can mostly co-exist here, I suppose some other idjits expressing stupid ideas isn't going to spill the apple cart.

People with different opinions are always going to exist. Trying to shut them down is a tactic of the intolerant left and SJW types (banning 'hate speech' on campuses? At rallies etc). I oppose bans in general, and endorse the freedom to express oneself. If lines are crossed, the mods can deal with it on a case by case basis. If anti hunters and gun types are going to come troll here, they will out themselves soon enough.
Isn't entering a hunting/fishing forum and stating that you hate all guns trolling in the first place? Why else would you be here?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:52 PM

First offence- verbal warning
Second offence - public canning
Third offence - public execution or take a shower with Justin T and pictures posted everywhere!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Isn't entering a hunting/fishing forum and stating that you hate all guns trolling in the first place? Why else would you be here?
Maybe they like fishing. I know somebody like that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Maybe they like fishing. I know somebody like that.
That's fine. Just never crossover to the hunting threads and post anti crap. haha
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

Also against it.
I guess I'm anti-gun, don't really see the need for anyone to have a belt fed machine gun.
But I do have a couple of friends who truly feel that if you've been vetted for a bolt action you should be able to own...anything.
Though in fact I would love to have a tow missile launcher on my truck...you'd only cut me off once
Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Exclamation Voltaire said it best,

although I do not think it I would take it that far on an internet forum.
So... no. Whether we have differing viewpoints, or vehemently disagree, censorship of opinion is never the answer. On the other hand, censorship of Trolls and Sock Puppets is highly encouraged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltaire.jpg (27.1 KB, 33 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Banned

Part of the problem with today and the large divides we see with different opinions i that we all tend to live in a our own echo chambers.
That is a very dangerous and ill thought out idea.

If you have a opinion and can back it up, I will listen. You might even change my mind. I have been wrong before. (It was once and it was a long time ago) :-)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, to me a gun is a gun how it functions really doesn't matter just like someone else's opinion.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:55 PM

I believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be able to state it. That's a two way street though, so someone stating what their beliefs are shouldn't be surprised if everyone doesn't agree with them.