Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Auger

I have the Ion Auger, and will never go back to gas ,or bother with propane augers. I don’t fish in extreme cold, and have never had to drill much more than 2 ft. Of ice. It suits my needs very well. Others, may have different needs, for an auger. Buy what suits your needs, or purpose, they all work well.Not sure why people need to turn every thread into an argument.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post
Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recommend the SM Lithium. I'm not to gentle with mine in the back of the truck and in -30 and lower temps. No issues. How does your friend's Ion handle 20 inches?

I'm not worried about it for the SM Lithium. I'll be using it to the end of March and I'm sure I will get to at least 30 inches of ice this year. Calling, Pigeon, Sylvan, etc. I'll report back at the end of the season.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190216-163824_YouTube.jpg (30.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/siyfl58LtyY

Cool vid!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post
Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

Just in case you care about speed when making your choice:

https://youtu.be/gPX9HHjv5Xc
Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Here you go:

Cool vid!
Thanks
Old 02-16-2019, 06:21 PM

No doubt it’s fast

Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Here you go:

Cool vid!
Interesting ,
Pretty well sums it all up , don't it ,
16 inches of ice , full charge battery , did 61 holes and battery dead , had enough to do one more hole , so 62
62 x16 of solid ice is 992 ft of ice

992 ft , now take ice at 4 ft or 48 inches =20 holes , let's not forget the bigger point , that his was a 8 inch auger, not a 10 inch , would be even less holes with a 10 , that's why I said 17 holes

That's a long long way from being able to drill all day , now that's the truth

Good to see the other video of which is the fastest in the electric world , I already knew the strikemaster was faster , be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I'll see if I can find the video of the plastic handle busting on the strikemaster in the cold , the ION X handle is steel 😋

No perfect auger for all situations, get yourself a couple
Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is
I was at the Cabelas in Kalispell last Thu and passed up on a Jiffy electric 10" on sale for $495 US. When I came back through today the sale was off. I'll wait till next season.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I was at the Cabelas in Kalispell last Thu and passed up on a Jiffy electric 10" on sale for $495 US. When I came back through today the sale was off. I'll wait till next season.
What was the regular price on it , on sale at $495 US is still going to be over $650 Canadian , time you get taxes and that if you get lucky and slip across the border with no dutys on it

I would say by next year , enough guys will have them and will be lots of videos out on how good or bad they are , compared to the others for speed and battery life

I've always like jiffys , my first ever propane was a jiffy
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What was the regular price on it , on sale at $495 US is still going to be over $650 Canadian , time you get taxes and that if you get lucky and slip across the border with no dutys on it

I would say by next year , enough guys will have them and will be lots of videos out on how good or bad they are , compared to the others for speed and battery life

I've always like jiffys , my first ever propane was a jiffy
$625 US if I recall was the reg price. I was in MT for a few days of fishing, I could have brought it back duty/tax free.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Interesting ,
16 inches of ice , full charge battery , did 61 holes and battery dead , had enough to do one more hole , so 62

992 ft , now take ice at 4 ft or 48 inches =20 holes , let's not forget the bigger point , that his was a 8 inch auger, not a 10 inch , would be even less holes with a 10 , that's why I said 17 holes

Good to see the other video of which is the fastest in the electric world , I already knew the strikemaster was faster , be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I'll see if I can find the video of the plastic handle busting on the strikemaster in the cold , the ION X handle is steel 😋

I have a jiffy gas a jiffy electric an Eski. gas and a new ION they all suck no matter what you do they won't drill a hole themselves. I don't understand why you need to drill a hundred holes anyway spend more time learning about where and what you fish and less time raving and you only need a half a doz. holes .....DRILL ON!!!!!!! LOL

mack
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM

I don't need to drill 100 holes to find fish

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Interesting ,

I thought you might chime back in. The reason I said your math is suspect. Just scroll up to what you wrote earlier:

Quote:
My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead
Just a reminder for you.

I don't know how many holes I'll drill today but I doubt I'll get to the 2nd tick on the battery. Working great for me! And less and less I think I'll need my backup auger.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 AM

Never have seen the new strikemaster electric but if the handles are made of the same on the strikemaster lazer pro then they are very durable. Even in really cold weather they hold up just fine. Maybe if you took a sledge hammer to it in -30 it would break just like every other auger but mines held up since 2010.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Interesting ,

How many holes do you drill in 4 foot ice in a day for fishing.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 AM

I have an ION and it is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Interesting ,

How did you get 16 inches of ice when he said 18 ? Then added at the end another 2 inches of hard pack, or what some call white ice, which makes 20”.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I have an ION and it is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned

Can you explain why you think that?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
They already make propane powered outboards. Tohatsu makes a 5 hp and LEHR makes 2.5 hp to 25 hp. As you likely know, Tohatsu makes the 9.9 kicker motors for many of the big brands including Mercury.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

https://golehr.com/
Can I use them on maligne lk?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
How many holes do you drill in 4 foot ice in a day for fishing.
First , I try not to drill in 4 ft of ice , I was reply to the comment or bull**** story about the strikemaster in a 10 inch cut through 4 ft of ice all day long

How many hole do will drill in a day , I never really pay much attention to it , 2 years ago on fern lake we did over 50 one day

When I make the trip to Lake Winnipeg , this year with 6 guys , a electric is no good on that thick of ice and that cold , battery is dead befor noon , and if you run around to chase the pods of big greenbacks , you will easy drill over 50 holes in a day

Like I said , they good in a hub or shack , they good if the ice is not to thick. , they good if you. Don't have to drill allot of holes , or you can get around that with more battery's ,
I Bought into all the hype on electric , not anymore as I've used them all ,

Reasons why I have a few augers ,

My original point was , and still is
if I was to only have 1 auger ,it would not be a electric, it would be propane , just my opinion

As to who makes the better electric auger , who cares , who cares which is faster , black or green , or even yellow now with jiffy , I've seen a orange one ,

Do your homework and buy whatever makes you happy , it's your money 💰
Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post

Not a clue. Don’t fish there and don’t know the regs for it. Just saying that they are available.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
That is a great question. I'm going to assume no as they likely list electric only like most lakes do. Exception being Minnewanka. Though a quick search and I cannot find anything specific yet.

I would call F&W office for that area. I once called them about my bow mount electric on my 16.5 footer and leaving the gas up. He said technically that I was okay but I might get some "attention" from anglers and even the warden. In the end I didn't as I thought it was not worth it.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
First , I try not to drill in 4 ft of ice , I was reply to the comment or bull**** story about the strikemaster in a 10 inch cut through 4 ft of ice all day long

Like I said , they good in a hub or shack , they good if the ice is not to thick. , they good if you. Don't have to drill allot of holes , or you can get around that with more battery's
Wrong x 2. Simply a comment that Aaron is using it in Manitoba at all times of year and has made the switch. One show he is using it at Wekusko on April 30th. Of course you interpret it in your own "special" way.

I'm using mine through this cold snap. I through it in the back of my truck like I always did my on my gas auger. Aaron did a show in -37C using it. Just keep the battery warm. Not exactly hard to figure that out...
Point is, an example of someone that is using it in pretty extreme conditions with no issues.

Then you quote math that clearly is not even close to reality. The only BS being slung here is begin done by you.

To the rest that are interested, I drilled 14 holes yesterday through 21 inches of ice. 1 tick down only on the battery and no bogging down yet. Working just fine!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Not a clue. Don’t fish there and don’t know the regs for it. Just saying that they are available.
I believe the answer is no... as to my point that if it was allowed I'd be going propane over electric.
Augers, engines, heaters.... pretty much anything that is available in both my choice would be propane.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Cut about 25 holes, 10 inch holes today in 22 inches of solid ice in -32 to -26 temps. One tick down on the battery
Solid, solid unit.

Now it is in the tub getting the ice melted off. No mess!
I put my Ion in a five gallon pale by the heat register to melt the ice off .

Best ice fishing investment I've ever made . I match my Ion with a Marcum flasher and start drilling holes and jigging , I call it trolling on the ice .
Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I don't need to drill 100 holes to find fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I put my Ion in a five gallon pale by the heat register to melt the ice off .

Best ice fishing investment I've ever made . I match my Ion with a Marcum flasher and start drilling holes and jigging , I call it trolling on the ice .
I had drilled 100+ holes on a reservoir that I never fished in last month. There was no one else on the ice and no holes visible from previous anglers. Just started drilling and fishing. The water was not clear (couldn't see the bottom in 6 fow), lots of weeds and shallow is not something where a flasher would be useful, fishing for jackfish, hardwater trolling is what we were doing. We caught lots of jacks that day.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Gonna try out my new rig in a couple days at Winefred for fun. Don’t worry I’m bringing my gas auger to I just want to try it out. We have over 30+ inches at gregoire lake last weekend so I’m not expecting to get to many holes at Winefred.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-18-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Gonna try out my new rig in a couple days at Winefred for fun. Don’t worry I’m bringing my gas auger to I just want to try it out. We have over 30+ inches at gregoire lake last weekend so I’m not expecting to get to many holes at Winefred.

That is the only electric setup I be interested in. Use the Milwaukee cordless mixer with a 12 amp hour battery and be set. Way lighter, more run time and secondary use for the mixer or drill. Total win.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
That is the only electric setup I be interested in. Use the Milwaukee cordless mixer with a 12 amp hour battery and be set. Way lighter, more run time and secondary use for the mixer or drill. Total win.
Double take on the price of that battery.