Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Default Not sure what to do? Extremely Frustrated!

Here's the situation. I got my self a really good deal on a Thompson Center 7mm rem mag back in February 09. I was really proud of the deal I managed to get myself as it was a nice looking gun and I basically put it together myself. So I did some research on the caliber as I wasn't sure if it was going to do what I wanted it to do. Turns out it wil plus some but I will need to do something about the stock. So I call around the various shops in town (Edmonton) and only 1 place can get the stockand fore stock I want. I'm looking at the flextech stock in the basic black as the barrel is stainless. So I go to the shop and I talk to them place my order. They tell me that it will be here in May, June at the latest. this was in March. I called them in June and they said it hasn't come in yet we'll call you when it does. I call them again in August they tell me they will call me right back as they are going to look into it. So they call me back and their distributor tells them it will be in their nexts shipment in September.So I call today to find out where my parts are for this rifle. Again they tell me they will call me back and they call me back. The distributor doesn't have my order the manufactorer doesn't know when they are going to have my order made. So basically I'm going to have to wait is what I'm being told.

I've never even shot this rifle yet. I have no idea what kind of recoil it has. I've been told it's a good idea to change the stock as the other stock will absorb the recoil quite significantly.

I'm at the point that I'm ready to sell the rifle get my money backfrom ordering the stock as I had to put down a deposit. and get something else as this season is a bust for using the Thompson. I've had no range time with it. I'm suppoe to go elk hunting nexts week and I have nothing to use. So What do you guys think should I keep it or let it go?

SycoSean
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Shoot it with the factory stock.
If it hits you too hard, have a smith install a recoil pad. That would be a good time to optimize your length of pull. Since you're replacing this stock anyhow, no harm in shortening it if that's what it takes to make the gun fit you.

Then go hunting.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM

How much do you want for it
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 PM

I agree with twofifty. Shoot the gun before worrying about selling it. The 7mm I've shot didn't kick as hard as I thought it would. I guess we hear magnum and expect the worst, but when aiming at an animal you won't hardly feel it.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Sounds to me like you should shop around a bit more, even go for a road trip if so required. As you hadn't mentioned your guilty Vendor, but that its in Edmonton, you could try Bass Pro or Russell Sports in Calgary, or Cabela's from Winnipeg. If you've put down a deposit I'd say its high time to get it back. Call more often, be the squeaky wheel that gets greased. Don't settle for 3rd rate service.

Is the rifle unshootable in its present form, or are you just reluctant to use it from perceiving that it might be less than perfect? You might find its fine as-is, and that you've gotten all worked up over nothing. Ya never know until you try.

If you need something different to make your upcoming hunt quickly, go to the gun show in Stettler this Saturday, you'll find yourself something there guaranteed. There's lots of tables of used, plus usually about 5-6 shops that have brick & mortar storefronts elsewhere will make it out too... so a good selection of new will be around.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:56 AM

Well, I would just shoot the gun as is. It is not going to bang you up to much and you will just appreciate the new stock that much more when it arrives.

I know it is hard but try to get over the frustration and focus on having a good hunt as that is what it is all about any way! I used to get all worked up that I didn't have everything just perfect to go on a hunt and usually let that spoil the 1st couple of days of the hunt, which I realize now is a shame, so I really try now to be prepared as possible and then just go and have a great time in the wilds.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Buy and install a Sims Limbsaver pad and forget about the Flex tech stock. The Flex tech has the limbsaver already installed and that is the only difference I can see in the recoil reduction between the stocks and I have several of both styles of stock.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 AM

It's frustrating when you're expecting something and it does'nt come through. But i wouldn't let it ruin a hunt. Speaking for myself, hunting is not about the tools i use, rather the overall experience. I perseverate about guns and details as well, but if it came down to it, i'd be just as happy hunting with a POS old beat up worn out Enfield that takes up airspace in my safe.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Just shoot it. To me, a 7mm doesn't have much recoil at the worst of times, so you might be pleasantly surprised, but to each their own.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

my wife shoots a 7mm i'm sure you could i hope
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 PM

I have the flextech stock, don't waste your time and money buying one. Go get yourself a sims limbsaver its the only part that really makes a difference.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
Well, I would just shoot the gun as is. It is not going to bang you up to much and you will just appreciate the new stock that much more when it arrives.

I know it is hard but try to get over the frustration and focus on having a good hunt as that is what it is all about any way! I used to get all worked up that I didn't have everything just perfect to go on a hunt and usually let that spoil the 1st couple of days of the hunt, which I realize now is a shame, so I really try now to be prepared as possible and then just go and have a great time in the wilds.
i boght a new 7mm rem mag and you think it has recoil you are wrong it has no recoil my 9 year old cosin shoot my 7mm with no problem
Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 AM

Recoil affects everybody differently, and I sure wish a 7mag "didn't hurt" when I shot one, but the fact is that two shots from one is enough to cause severe pain in a damaged shoulder, making it very uncomfortable to move my arm for quite a while.
I'd put a Limbsaver on it as well. or see how it shoots without one.
If you haven't shot it yet, you may find that it is not too bad for you.
Most people can shoot a 160 grain bullet in a 7MM mag without too much discomfort for a few shots.
Cat
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Default Extremely Frustrated!

Well, I want to say Thanks for the help. I took the advice and I went and got a sims limbsaver for the Thompson Center . I set it up and took it to the range tonight. All I have to say is I'm glad I got that limbsaver. The stock pad that was on there wouldn't have done much for recoil. It seems to be a nice shooting gun. Just need to fine tune the sighting on it. I'll be going back to the gun shop and getting back my deposit and cancelling my order. I'll let you all know how that goes. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and hints. I'm heading out Elk hunting on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll get lucky.

SycoSean

"If there's going to be any shooting, I've gotta get my rest"
For a Few Dollars More
Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Glad to see everything is working out for you... Good luck with the Elk!!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman12 View Post
i boght a new 7mm rem mag and you think it has recoil you are wrong it has no recoil my 9 year old cosin shoot my 7mm with no problem
Yes my 120 Lb. gf got a 7mm with syn stock for hunting season with me too but that doesnt mean it doesn't hurt... go to the range and shoot it 30 - 40 times while trying to get your best groups and tell me it doesnt hurt the next day....
they key is this.... your not going to be shooting it more than once if you do your job right. one bullet maybe 2 or 3 if you have misplaced a shot... That is not going to hurt (much) unless you unfortunatly already have an injured shoulder... which in that case anything above a 22 is gonna hurt.

IMHO The 7mm is one of the best calibers out there and will do excellent for your elk hunt! Hope you get lucky
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Yes my 120 Lb. gf got a 7mm with syn stock for hunting season with me too but that doesnt mean it doesn't hurt... go to the range and shoot it 30 - 40 times while trying to get your best groups and tell me it doesnt hurt the next day....
Unfortunately many people tend to make fewer trips to the range,and shoot more shots during each trip.By the time that many people have fired twenty rounds or so,they are flinching due to recoil,and all shots fired after that point aren't accomplishing much.It is far more beneficial to make more trips to the range,and fire fewer shots during each trip.A dozen shots fired on each of three trips to the range,will likely accomplish more than thirty or forty shots fired during a single trip to the range.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 PM

I was finding that happening to me until i got a lead sled... and for $130 lead included... it has saved me countles money in wasted flinch shots...