Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

Default 870 mag cap coming loose.

The cap that screws on to the end of the magazine and is responsible for keeping the barrel in place on my wingmaster has a habit of loosening off , seemingly from recoil. Its been doing it since I bought the gun and has now anoyed me into doing more than just checking it every couple shots. I was planning to put teflon tape around the threads and see if that worked but if anyone else has a good solution I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The cap that screws on to the end of the magazine and is responsible for keeping the barrel in place on my wingmaster has a habit of loosening off , seemingly from recoil. Its been doing it since I bought the gun and has now anoyed me into doing more than just checking it every couple shots. I was planning to put teflon tape around the threads and see if that worked but if anyone else has a good solution I'd appreciate it.
is it a Wingmaster action with an Express barrel?
They fit, but the lockup on the Express is in the mag, and the Winmaster is on the barrel band with a ball bearing detent in the cap.
maybe the ball detent is missing?
Cat
Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

The barrel seems to have the same high gloss blueing as the action. I though the express 870's all had a matt finish but I might be wrong. I'll check the barrel band.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
The barrel seems to have the same high gloss blueing as the action. I though the express 870's all had a matt finish but I might be wrong. I'll check the barrel band.
My mind is getting a bit fogged here, as I can't remember if the ball detent is on the barrel band or not, but I think it is.
The cap would have a bunch of indentations in it to "ratchet ' when it tightens up.
The Express hasa spring cap in the magazine that has sevral teeth on it to do the same thing as the ball detent.
This is why I asked if it is in fact an express barrel - if it is, then you cannot lock it up tight to the Wingmaster action unless you really btighten the cap down, although it fits perfectly.

The ball may be mising from the barrel if it is in fact a Wingmaster barrel.

Cat
Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

K in the barrel band there is a small hole but no ball berring. Inside the cap, are some teeth but they do not look like they would catch the ball berring were it in the hole. On the end of the plug there are also teeth kind of thingies that are possibly supposed to interlock with the cap but they are apparently not doing their job. Do the Wingmasters have a different cap as well? Is it possible that I have a wingmaster action and barrel, minus a ball detent, and a express plug and cap?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Hey Cal, this may be a dumb suggestion but are the teeth on either the cap or the reciever worn? I was thinking it may cause it to slip un vibration. I saw on CGN website you can buy new caps for pretty cheap.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
K in the barrel band there is a small hole but no ball berring. Inside the cap, are some teeth but they do not look like they would catch the ball berring were it in the hole. On the end of the plug there are also teeth kind of thingies that are possibly supposed to interlock with the cap but they are apparently not doing their job. Do the Wingmasters have a different cap as well? Is it possible that I have a wingmaster action and barrel, minus a ball detent, and a express plug and cap?
Jeepers, it SEEMS like you have a Wingmaster barrel and an express cap??!!
Like was wondered, maybe there are worn teeth?
Cat
Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Jeepers, it SEEMS like you have a Wingmaster barrel and an express cap??!!
Like was wondered, maybe there are worn teeth?
Cat
nope...have had a few 870's the bearing should be in the cap...tiny little spring under it....only failure I ever had with an 870, was that little bearing....'smith told me it comes from not pushing down enough , or hard enough when removing the barrel....just what I was told
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Well I had a look at my neighbour's 870's, both express models. The older one had the ball detent in the barrel band and little indents around the rim of the cap to to catch the ball. The newer one also had the ball in the barrel band (probably incase someone bought the barrel to use on an older action, maby they all have this?) but the cap had little teeth inside it like mine and also had a cap in the magazine like mine. Neither had a ball berring in the cap itself. So the problem is that the teeth on the plastic cap that go's in the mag are wore flat on the top and are not interlocking with the mag cap, thanks for all the advice, I'll get a new cap pronto.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM

I lost the spring and ball detent from my Wingmaster barrel last year. I replaced it this fall with parts from Brownell's in the states. They only cost a few bucks and were here in a week. You can probably get the plastic magazine cap part that you need from there too. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 AM

add a thin coating of rust!
how about a wrap or two of teflon tape , maybe??

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31