Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Default Something Ive noticed

Nobody gets it.

No two guns are the same, even if the serial numbers are one number apart.

One may show a marked difference in loading prefrence than its brother born just moments before.

Rifles, shotguns, handguns you name it, it simply doesnt matter.

Its very well documented, and written in just about every single publication out there.

Yet almost daily there seems to be a thread started asking whats best in my rifle, shotgun or what ever.

And the same astute individuals reply, in there own way............find out for yourself

I realize a lot of folks who come here are totally wet behind the perverbial ears, but come on, its so written about time and again on here, and elsewhere, youd think sooner or later some of these less experienced folks would read one or 800,000 posts on the subject and maybe get the jist of how it often works.

Conversley it seems some of this boards more worldy (or so it seems by there post counts) members reply with a recommendation of a factory loading, or worse yet there own special super dooper knocks em dead handload.

Wow is all I can say,
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Wow is right.

Sorry so many of us seem so stupid to you.

Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Nationwide

Thanks for that uhh i think
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM

Some of us come on here to learn. Sometimes we learn we're stupid.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerat View Post
Some of us come on here to learn. Sometimes we learn we're stupid.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Guess we might as well shut down the forum. No need to ask advice and opinions...apparently.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

I didn't take the post to be offensive,and it does have a good deal of truth in it.Some people do make the mistake of assuming that just because one rifle shoots great with a given load,all rifles of the same make and model should also do well with that same load.Those same people are usually the ones that assume that the so called "accuracy load" listed in the manuals will be the most accurate load in their rifle.The simple truth is that each rifle is an individual,and the only way to know which loads will be accurate in a specific rifle,is to test loads in that rifle.
It is also true,that not all loads listed in a loading manual will be safe in every rifle in that chambering.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Wow

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of their high horse?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM

There's know such thing as a bad question know matter how many times its asked! If someone dosn't know something how are they gonna know if they don't ask!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Well I didn't take offence either.

Until I got back into rifle shooting a few years ago -and started learning from folk on this forum and testing some of it out for myself- I too believed that two rifles of the same make/model/caliber would shoot the same with the same ammo.

It had never occurred to me that as factory tooling is used, it wears out and eventually gets replaced. The resulting tolerance variations in any single production run are endless.

Someone else pointed out to me that guns are assembled from parts picked from bins. The parts in one bin may come from more than one machine. Once a gun is assembled, the serial no. is stamped. The next gun's parts also come from bins containing the same but not identical parts. Some parts are jobbed out, others made in-house.... And so on.

Now that I reload, I get to play around with these tolerance variations, and make them work for me.

Great post. Please stick around DuckBuster.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 PM

how dare they ask questions you know the answer to!
dont they know who you think you are!
ppppfffffbbbbtttt!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm-08 View Post
There's know such thing as a bad question know matter how many times its asked! If someone dosn't know something how are they gonna know if they don't ask!
x2

If you dont feel that need to help someone that has a question then feel free to just keep on keepin on ...There are enough good people on here that someone will help them anyways ...

In the time you wasted writing up your lame rant you could have helped 10 people that were just asking for a little help..
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 PM

Regardless of whether every gun is so drastically different, it is worth noting the reoccurring success or failure of certain brands in order to round down your choices.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM

WOW is all I can say too, I agree that no 2 guns are the same. But just because somebody asks for advise on a "certain" type/calibre of gun, and are looking for good possibilities that may work for them doesn't mean you have to go on a rant about it.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Default new hunter

Being a new hunter, and doing my own reloading. asking what works best in my gun was a good starting point for me to find out what components to buy. especially with the HUGE shortage. if 6 guys tell me the same story, its a real good place to start. no sense trying to reinvent the wheel, or spend a small fortune trying all of the powder and bullet combination for a 7mm rem mag. only to come up with 62gr of h4831 and a 160gr bullet is the best.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
Being a new hunter, and doing my own reloading. asking what works best in my gun was a good starting point for me to find out what components to buy. especially with the HUGE shortage. if 6 guys tell me the same story, its a real good place to start. no sense trying to reinvent the wheel, or spend a small fortune trying all of the powder and bullet combination for a 7mm rem mag. only to come up with 62gr of h4831 and a 160gr bullet is the best.
Even when you aquire a new rifle it helps. I purchased a new Triumph muzzleloader and was looking for an acceptable recipe with out spending all the time and money required to do it on my own. One fellow who shot the Triumph alot suggested 110gr(by volume) Blackhorn 209, Harvester short black sabot behind a 250GR SST. First three shots I took with this combo gave me a 3/4" group at 100 yards. And this seems to be the go to load for a lot of people who own a Triumph. Got me my first deer with a muzzleloader with that load. If I figure I can tweek it better, this still gave me an excellent starting point.

Last edited by benamen; 09-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 PM

i agree that it does help to ask the questions etc...i think the OP is frustrated with how the questions are asked rather than what the people are looking for...when someone asks what is the "best" shell out there.....well that is a definitive answer..there can be only one "best" and we all know that that is not true...but if the questions was posed as...i have a new .270 it is asuch and such model etc...i am looking to do some reloading what are some of your fav recipes...or i have a new .270 such and such..what store bought shells have you guys had success with??....this allows opinion and experience to weigh in and also allows for variance...it also gives the new shooter some direction rather than having to start from ground zero...however asking for "the best" is an unanswerable question imho...
Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
I agree with this statement many people are looking for a starting point I know when I picked up my new 300 WSM I looked to the vast internet for help used some ideas and started.
I don't think that if I told someone that 66.5 grains of H4350 with federal match grade large rifle primers with 150 grain Nosler e-tip bullets federal brass and a COL of 72.45mm is the correct load that everyone is going to try that but you take components and start, otherwise with all the components and variations I know I would spend months determining a load to start with.

No need to get yor panties in a bunch we are here to help and to learn.

Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 PM

so fella's what is currently the most reliable .22 ammo?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
Regardless of whether every gun is so drastically different, it is worth noting the reoccurring success or failure of certain brands in order to round down your choices.

Exactly.
That at least gives a guy a good starting point.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Reloading manuals are also full of good starting points.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:57 PM

I might suggest that when people do pose such questions about what might work in their Brownchesterington 777 .30-09 HyperMag, that they include pertinent details. Calibre, make, model, etcetera. What game they intend to hunt with it? Or is its intended prey printed targets? Not just : "I got a new ought-six, what do you fellas recommend for ammo?"

I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination suggest that people stop asking questions, but that it might be prudent to use the search function on common questions before posting. Many great answers are already floating about on here to questions they've not asked yet.

I think when people don't bother to research or read up first, its got to do with the current societal attitude of instant gratification; people want their answers and they want them right now. Coles notes for everything. Perhaps thats whats getting under the Original Posters skin.

For the most part I think this board is very helpful and to quote Mr Miyagi : " No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher "
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I agree with this statement many people are looking for a starting point I know when I picked up my new 300 WSM I looked to the vast internet for help used some ideas and started.
I don't think that if I told someone that 66.5 grains of H4350 with federal match grade large rifle primers with 150 grain Nosler e-tip bullets federal brass and a COL of 72.45mm is the correct load that everyone is going to try that but you take components and start, otherwise with all the components and variations I know I would spend months determining a load to start with.

No need to get yor panties in a bunch we are here to help and to learn.

Mike
Exactly right...don't mind what so ever some one wondering about a load, or factory round...BUT,,,what I shoot in my 7mm took a long time to fine tune, my rifle can handle it, I know my QC...don't think I would pass along a "hot" load to a newbie....that being said...as posted before,,,get a reloading manual ...and start playing...there are no shortcuts...if you're serious about it, if not Canadian Tire sells ammo
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
so fella's what is currently the most reliable .22 ammo?
The best ammo and load for any rifle or handgun is the ones that go BANG..
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 PM

FWIW, some brands and models of rifles DO shoot a certain TYPE of cartridge better than others, because the barrels may be rifled with a twist that favours a particular length of bullet.
This would be a question asked by someone new, to an experienced shooter who may know what the twist of the particular rifle in question.
However, Ii have seen rifles that will shot IMR 4350 better than H4350, and vice versa.
I have also seen rifles that shoot a particular brand of ammo better than others.
I think that these questions get asked often ( I know I am often asked them by people ) because some people simply do not shoot as much as others and do not study firearms and other related things as much as some of us do.....
Cat
Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 AM

What I took for 1187's original post is, it's not so much the question askers, heck we all started somewhere.

I think he's wow'd by the apparently more "worldly" persons actually responding with a brand or loading.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:09 AM

A lot of old school hunters dont even consider that ammo affects performance.

I can rememeber dad only bought what was cheapest. But from what I remember he killed most everything he aimed at.

Seems to me a lot of hair splitting goes on in the name of "I am smarter than you are" around here.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
A lot of old school hunters dont even consider that ammo affects performance.

I can rememeber dad only bought what was cheapest. But from what I remember he killed most everything he aimed at.

Seems to me a lot of hair splitting goes on in the name of "I am smarter than you are" around here.

This is something i keep thinking about as well. the old man only ever went out with a bright red plaid on and jeans , no camo , shot a 303 brit no fancy super mags or short mags. he always gets a moose or his deer. i spend thousands to accomplish the same thing . i think all the advertising has really changed our opinions on whats important with hunting....or at least mine
Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Well, I, for one, was glad that the more worldly guys had such clear opinions when I started coming on this forum. It was through forums that I learned which ammos *tend* to do better in terms of stopping power, so that I could narrow down my initial search for my ammo. selecting from a field of 5 choices is a lot more affordable than buying 20 different boxes of my calibre. If my rifle's favourite cartridge happens to reach out and slap a deer instead of punching it to the ground, I'll go with the rifle's second-favourite round. Yes, placement. but I also wanted a round I'd feel confident with. So I started my search with deadliness as the main criterion.

Before coming here, I was stupid about everything hunting related. Now I'm just stupid about my politics

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.