Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Was good even in the heat yesterday...

Loads of deer...whitetails and Mulies...

Called in a spike, 2x2, and a 3x4...not a bad start! Nothing worth sticking but still fun. All three came into 30 yards.

Lots of time left as long as the other Jackpots in the area don't show up bugleing all night long! HERES A TIP " DON'T BUGLE ALL NIGHT LONG! " Put it away and cow call. Use your Bugle in the deep back country to locate bulls. Don't use em' when you know the elk are there!

***Sorry to rip on the tactics of others but it gets so damn annoying when someone pulls out a bugle and blows the herd out of site by calling every 10 seconds on a giant herd bull diaphram.***

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL THIS SEASON
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Got out for evening moose. Sat looking at a river, bugs ate me. The river looked nice.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 AM

Got out again last night later than I wanted to. Got to watch two high 150 class white tails sparring while a 130 class watched them. Also heard the bulls bugling in the distance. It's going to be a good season. Good luck to everyone.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 AM

Hey folks I got out again last night, it was hot as hell! and the BUGS! cant wait until first frost. I see a couple of whitetail does and I mess up on a coyote, i didnt have my bow ready I shoulda known better
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
Hey folks I got out again last night, it was hot as hell! and the BUGS! cant wait until first frost. I see a couple of whitetail does and I mess up on a coyote, i didnt have my bow ready I shoulda known better

Sounds alot like my night, minus seeing deer. Hahaha. Deer or not, I'm learning. Coyote came up at about fifteen yards, lifted my bow real slow, and he caught on and took off. Oh well. Fun night to be out.

-Jeff
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Missed

Sat last night. 2 places where I can sit the buck came out at the other spot, was almost glad, the bugs were so bad I think I can honestly say it was the worst, most miserable night I've ever had hunting. Buck worked his way to about 70 yrds when a doe worked her way down wind of me at about 10 yrds, she started to make a big fuss for about 10min finally I decide I had to shoot before I passed out from loss of blood. Drew, figured about 50yrds turns out it was more like 40, over its back it went. The buck and does never did figure out what I was, pranceing back and forth down wind of me for another 10mins before they left, (there really was no wind, it had died off completely by then). Very good buck probably 170+ been watching him for the last month or so, have some really good vid. Will try again for another at a different spot as the wind is no good today, probably a good thing, gives them a little time to settle dawn. Going to a spot tonight that has a really good buck there, had him at 30yrds opening night after a yoddie spooked him my way, couldn't get a shot off as he passed in a little dip at the bottom of the ridge I was on. Been a very exciting couple of days.
P.S. I will never ever forget my bug spray, I literally smelt like misq ***** from all the bugs I squashed on my face and hands last night
Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Im heading out tonight for the first night, looking for this mulie that caught my eye couple of weeks ago. good luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Default opening week

So I went out to see what was in the country (212)this eve.....It was awesome. In a four mile stretch, I saw about 20 deer and 8 Elk. Of the 4 Bulls, one was a good 6x6. All of the bucks I saw were whities and the largest was probably 150ish. It is very encouraging to see so much activity in that little area. Now....I have to see if I can get permission Would be nice to fill the freezer with one of those elk Good luck and good hunting to all.