Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Banned

Default New thread, old subject

The photo file on the "grow-your-own-stone" has blocked access to re-posting so I thought I would add my 2 cents to the conversation by this route.

The new law does allow a mini grow-op in your home, 4 plants per domicile, but the federal government has mandated that Canadians are allowed to raise plants grown from seed purchased from the government supply only.The codicil: there are no seeds available YET. Anyone caught growing will be charged with possession at least with a possible cultivation charge thrown in.

This law renders all those Columbian (and other exotic strains) seed collected in the 80's useless under Canadian law (Bill C-45) and illegal to possess. Quite frankly, a person is better off cloning existing plants thereby maintaining the quality of product that you produce all the while allowing for an uninterrupted supply of burnables. This makes the 4 plant rule sort of redundant as there are three stages to successful growing so 4 units are now 12 plants (clones, vegetative growth and flowering) all requiring different types and frequency of lighting.

That said, last week a person was charged with possession of an un-used (new) pipe found in a car after a traffic stop. You can thank Bill C-46 for that unsolvable riddle.

Free
Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Just out of curiosity, what was the charge for possessing an unused pipe?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The photo file on the "grow-your-own-stone" has blocked access to re-posting so I thought I would add my 2 cents to the conversation by this route.

The new law does allow a mini grow-op in your home, 4 plants per domicile, but the federal government has mandated that Canadians are allowed to raise plants grown from seed purchased from the government supply only.The codicil: there are no seeds available YET. Anyone caught growing will be charged with possession at least with a possible cultivation charge thrown in.

This law renders all those Columbian (and other exotic strains) seed collected in the 80's useless under Canadian law (Bill C-45) and illegal to possess. Quite frankly, a person is better off cloning existing plants thereby maintaining the quality of product that you produce all the while allowing for an uninterrupted supply of burnables. This makes the 4 plant rule sort of redundant as there are three stages to successful growing so 4 units are now 12 plants (clones, vegetative growth and flowering) all requiring different types and frequency of lighting.

That said, last week a person was charged with possession of an un-used (new) pipe found in a car after a traffic stop. You can thank Bill C-46 for that unsolvable riddle.

Free
Do you believe they will be preforming genetic testing to determine the legal status of your particular plant? Or that the smoke you carry in your legal jar, matches the DNA of the label?
The person charged had a loaded pipe in reach of the driver.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/23-year...cket-1.4168038

Last edited by Jays toyz; 11-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Pipeload of weed ready to light in the console? Charge makes sense now.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:04 PM

There seems to be a lot of mature plants already growing considering legalization has only been in effect for less than a month they must grow faster than I thought.
Seeds, hash, honey oil, edibles etc. have been online for a few years I don't think the cops care and they certainly aren't kicking anybody's door down the check plant DNA.
The ship sailed on pot growing many years ago, in the 70's I saw plants taller than granary's on buddy's farm.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 PM

I'm actually quite surprised Kijiji isn't full of ads to buy clones. Was hoping to throw one in the window over the winter and plant it in the garden in spring. I didn't realize how restrictive the growing portion of legalization is.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Do you believe they will be preforming genetic testing to determine the legal status of your particular plant? Or that the smoke you carry in your legal jar, matches the DNA of the label?
The person charged had a loaded pipe in reach of the driver.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/23-year...cket-1.4168038
The news story I heard indicated that a driver was ticketed for having an unused pipe in his car. I extrapolated from that it was a new item. I should have looked deeper before I posted.

My interpretation of Bill C-45 is that until the consumer has an opportunity to buy seeds from a legal dispenser- as defined by C45- the weed that person is growing would be contraband and illegal.

All along we've been hearing the police need additional funding to enforce the laws related to what is now a legal product. What sort of enforcement would that cover beyond the traditional alcohol related stops we now encounter while driving? Cops have been notorious for demonizing pot smokers for the past 50 years and I am not convinced that they will turn a blind eye to any encounters they have going into the future. They will look for ways to make lives miserable for potheads, if for no other reason than to spend the extra cash.

Free
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
I'm actually quite surprised Kijiji isn't full of ads to buy clones. Was hoping to throw one in the window over the winter and plant it in the garden in spring. I didn't realize how restrictive the growing portion of legalization is.
Kijiji forbids the sale of cannabis products , other than glass and stuff.
Just read the fine print the other day.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The news story I heard indicated that a driver was ticketed for having an unused pipe in his car. I extrapolated from that it was a new item. I should have looked deeper before I posted.

My interpretation of Bill C-45 is that until the consumer has an opportunity to buy seeds from a legal dispenser- as defined by C45- the weed that person is growing would be contraband and illegal.

All along we've been hearing the police need additional funding to enforce the laws related to what is now a legal product. What sort of enforcement would that cover beyond the traditional alcohol related stops we now encounter while driving? Cops have been notorious for demonizing pot smokers for the past 50 years and I am not convinced that they will turn a blind eye to any encounters they have going into the future. They will look for ways to make lives miserable for potheads, if for no other reason than to spend the extra cash.

Free
The genie is out of the bottle. It's legal to grow, buy and possess. There is absolutely no way the police will try to determine the origin of your plants or herb, or shut down an otherwise legal show because you couldn't have legally bought the genetics. The RCMP had no interest in pot charges when it was not legal (with few exceptions). Cops I have spoke to are happy about not having to deal with this anymore.
I have paranoid friends who think this way too. Paranoia will destroy ya!