Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Great fish!

Curious about setup you folks use in a river like the N. Sask. I am waaaayyyyy down south, so not familiar with your waters at all, but assume there are some pike in there too. If you are using "lighter" leader/tippet, targeting walleye or browns, are you prone to lose the odd hook to a toothy slough shark? I haven't really fished warmer mixed-species rivers like this, so curious how others approach it.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Ok thats real cool!!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Great fish!

Curious about setup you folks use in a river like the N. Sask. I am waaaayyyyy down south, so not familiar with your waters at all, but assume there are some pike in there too. If you are using "lighter" leader/tippet, targeting walleye or browns, are you prone to lose the odd hook to a toothy slough shark? I haven't really fished warmer mixed-species rivers like this, so curious how others approach it.
Hasnt been an issue for me personally, although I usually just run a 5 foot section of 12lb mono from my tip to the fly. Havent had any lost pike yet, but I think I have just been lucky. I have lost a lot of flies to rocks/logs.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM

I did catch a brown trout...not from NSR. A lot of big browns are in Lake X.....hehe.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

That’s awesome, thanks for posting!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Amazing what lurks in the river through a city....just be careful what you snag onto periodically

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Browns

In the 80s a million brown fry were put in between DV and Ft. Sask. Unfortunately that spring / Summer saw one of the worst floods the NSR had seen in years. They are throuout the river and every now and then someone tags one. I would think that the general size of them and I've seen many would indicate natural reproduction.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:35 PM

I've heard many a tale about historic stocking attempts in the South Sask system (specifically Oldman below the dam), and various reports of lingering numbers of browns venturing quite some distance downstream these many years later... into Lethbridge and beyond. I would guess the success (or lack thereof) of these "college tries" would be similar to what one could expect in the NSR.