Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Allow .223” diam. bullets as new min. for hunting?
Yes 140 38.25%
No 207 56.56%
Undecided 19 5.19%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like most of the gun nuts who think a .223 should be legal for big game already own fairly hot magnums, and are often known to tout their superiority?

Can the .223 be used to humanely take deer? Of course it can. Is there any real good reason to do this? Not really other than a few nuts want to try a new stunt. If the .223 was made legal a bunch of dudes with safes full of far better rifles would go set up a new rifle, come up with a load, use it a season or two and go back to their .300 mag... and a bunch of people who don't know any better would go pick up some bulk varmint amo and send their kid after deer with the old gopher gun.

Honestly, there are a million gun and hunting related policies that energy would be far better spent working on. Using a .223 seems like pulling a travel trailer with a mini van, it can be done but why bother?