Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 PM

France and Belgium game was very tight as expected. It would be hard for anyone to make the argument over who was the better team.

France moved the ball well on the attack and had some creativity in the 18. They were able to score off a set piece and went ahead.

Belgium controlled more of the pace of play, definitely picked up the pace and went on the attack but could knock a ball into the french net - so they will be playing for 3rd/4th spot.

Great game.

Looking forward to another great game tomorrow between England and Croatia. England must be disciplined and watch the overlap and counter. They can control the play and win the game - but face a very dangerous opponent capable of turning the field around quickly and having you dig a ball out of your own net if you get caught too far up field.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Going with England vs Belgium.
Are you talking about the 3rd place match?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave barry View Post
Are you talking about the 3rd place match?
Negatory on the cost of this mow-chine there Red Ryder.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Man is England playing a strange game. Croatia is all over them!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Man is England playing a strange game. Croatia is all over them!
Had me worried they were losing there for a minute.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Thumbs up

england was on defense most of the games and was hesitant , Croatia out played them from the start .
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM

England seemed a bit lost or stunned, sorry to see them go this way. Croatia looked good, great moment for them, congratulations for them
Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM

England had no answer and Croatia controlled the game and was the stronger team.

9 of 12 of England's goals came on set pieces this entire tournament - so they will need to learn how to score in a live and open play situation if they ever expect to climb further into the elimination brackets. Good news is they are a young and strong team that will learn from this experience.

It was odd to me the only highlights of "England's performance" on TSN and other news channels is replaying the offside Harry Kane attempt at the post ......... case in point I guess - they threatened Croatia a total of zero times in open play.

Croatia was all over them in open play and it could have been a far worse result for the Lions.

Croatia was my dark horse pick from before this world cup started (in this thread as well) .... so knew they would/could be dangerous for any opponent in the tournament.

France is the overwhelming favourite for Sunday. Will be a great game.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:31 PM

How prophetic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg English Footbal Team.jpg (60.1 KB, 34 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
England had no answer and Croatia controlled the game and was the stronger team.
I didn't watch the game, so don't know who to believe, but TSN would appear to disagree with you.

"MOSCOW — Croatia's legs seemed heavy, burdened by the accumulated toll of consecutive penalty-kicks wins needed to get this far. England had gone ahead with a free kick just five minutes in, dominated play and appeared headed to its first World Cup final since 1966."

They did indicate Croatia's play significantly improved following the half though.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't watch the game, so don't know who to believe, but TSN would appear to disagree with you.

"MOSCOW — Croatia's legs seemed heavy, burdened by the accumulated toll of consecutive penalty-kicks wins needed to get this far. England had gone ahead with a free kick just five minutes in, dominated play and appeared headed to its first World Cup final since 1966."

They did indicate Croatia's play significantly improved following the half though.
I watched the second half and the extra, Croatia controlled the second half, was very competitive in the extra time.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:

TSN? lol - yeah ....... I'd watch the game .... you mean the two English commentators said England dominated the game? you mean the Englishmen might favour England? I am stunned at your accusations.

Here are the FIFA OFFICIAL MATCH STATISTICS .......

In 120 minutes of play England recorded ONLY 1 (one) shot on target.

Their only shot, and only goal, came from this one shot from a set piece.

They were unable to muster even one shot on target, in live play, for 120 minutes. Not one.

They made 11 attempts at target, Croatia made 22.

Croatia hit the net 6 times in live play, England none.

Croatia controlled the corners.

Croatia was ahead on possession.

I'm not sure which game these Brits were watching. Perhaps through Rose coloured glasses.

I'd say you watch the game. You will see what I mean. The match may have looked closer to the "average spectator" but it started relatively balanced and just got worse and worse for the organisation, control and execution for England. They basically were competitive but couldn't make anything happen and were absolutely no threat.

Sure they moved the ball, sure they weren't outclassed, but they did very little. Another England lack luster performance in my opinion.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matche...tch-statistics

Last edited by EZM; 07-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I and TSN must have watched two different games
Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Excellent match. Croatia should of won anyways on a couple of their previous attempts. England didn't really test the opposing keeper after the goal. They looked good and I just about went on with my day but glad i watched the rest. Good match but France gonna win the cup.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I was only able to watch the last 40 minutes but it appeared that Croatia was controlling the game then and deserved the victory.

My two picks for the final will play against each other, but on Saturday instead of Sunday.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Well boys I’m out of jail finally and here is the story: we just got back from Russia, spent 5 days in St.Petersburg and 9 days in Moscow. What a rush!!! You should’ve seen the crowds of fans! That was unreal experience. Tons of people from Mexico, A4gentina and Brazil, lots of fans from European countries. Every one was behaving well, no fights that I heard of. Security was tight, uniformed police, national guards and Special Police Forces(OMON) everywhere. Every single Metro entrance was manned and metal detectors installed along with X-ray machines just like at the airports. They would check all bags and backpacks.
Never felt uncomfortable or threatened. Will try to post a few pictures.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 AM

Belgium beats England in 3rd place game.

England, once again, does very little to threaten it's opponents and plays a pedestrian lack-luster style of football. Exactly why I don't like watching the EPL as much as I enjoy watching LaLiga or other European league games where there is creativity in play.

Maybe the fact that virtually all the England players are in the EPL is a dis-service to the national program. The team, and the EPL, compared to other top tier leagues are pedestrian. There are Few chip passes, diagonal runs, overlaps and back-heels to throw the opposition defence off balance creating space and opportunity comparatively speaking.

It's certainly not that this young team is out-classed or that other teams have far more talent - it's just that the competition is so tight as players/nations around the world have become more competitive. You need to throw your opponent into a little chaos to get that critical edge to win games.

Nevertheless, this young team should learn from this and position their country for the Euros in a couple years. They are a solid team, they are a competitive team, they just need to find the magic in creativity to put the final tool into their tool box to build their nation's program and deliver what they are capable of.

Belgium put all the pieces together this tournament. I thought they were better than France in the semi's before this game, but did not yield the result by the time the final whistle sounded. A shame to see them playing for 3rd when they deserve to be in the final.

Nevertheless, today they played an excellent game and were the better side. Congratulations to Belgium ..... outstanding tournament for them.

Last edited by EZM; 07-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM

England had more attempts, on target, corners, way more possession, and still lost. Oh well, there's always next time.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
England had more attempts, on target, corners, way more possession, and still lost. Oh well, there's always next time.
They did, but the quality of their possession and opportunities were not as "dangerous" in my opinion. They had a better second half but most of the first half they seemed to be lagging behind a little.

I also thought England seemed better (in this game and others) when Sterling, Lingard and Rashford played. I really like those guys.

Belgium also had their problems with under performance from key guys ... Lukaku, grossly unimpressive this tournament, had a couple golden chances he did nothing with. He was pulled in virtually every game ..... I think Belgium could have benefited from him playing up to his potential.

I guess that happens for all teams in the tournament. Giroud has been largely unimpressive to me despite his fleeting moments of brilliance and turns over the ball in really unnecessary circumstances or puts a ball where it shouldn't be. DeBrunye was similar to me all tournament, made some brilliant passes but coughed up the ball in stupid situations.

Rakatic also isn't playing as well as he should be and maybe sharing that central holding and then attacking and back to holding mid position with Modric is hard to get used to. The fluidity of that midfield may have been as hard to manage for teammates (like Rakatic) as it has been for their opponents.

Tomorrow should be a great game. France overwhelming favourites, but they are playing the tournament dark horse, a team that can turn and attack in a blink of an eye and you are left bending over picking the ball out of your net on one little mistake. Croatia plays lack-luster against moderate to weak teams, but the excel against strong opponents. Should be interesting.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Tomorrow’s game should be phenomenal! I bet you will see a lot of unexpected moves. Can hardly wait! I can only imagine what will be happening in Moscow!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
They did, but the quality of their possession and opportunities were not as "dangerous" in my opinion. They had a better second half but most of the first half they seemed to be lagging behind a little.

I also thought England seemed better (in this game and others) when Sterling, Lingard and Rashford played. I really like those guys.

Belgium also had their problems with under performance from key guys ... Lukaku, grossly unimpressive this tournament, had a couple golden chances he did nothing with. He was pulled in virtually every game ..... I think Belgium could have benefited from him playing up to his potential.

I guess that happens for all teams in the tournament. Giroud has been largely unimpressive to me despite his fleeting moments of brilliance and turns over the ball in really unnecessary circumstances or puts a ball where it shouldn't be. DeBrunye was similar to me all tournament, made some brilliant passes but coughed up the ball in stupid situations.

Rakatic also isn't playing as well as he should be and maybe sharing that central holding and then attacking and back to holding mid position with Modric is hard to get used to. The fluidity of that midfield may have been as hard to manage for teammates (like Rakatic) as it has been for their opponents.

Tomorrow should be a great game. France overwhelming favourites, but they are playing the tournament dark horse, a team that can turn and attack in a blink of an eye and you are left bending over picking the ball out of your net on one little mistake. Croatia plays lack-luster against moderate to weak teams, but the excel against strong opponents. Should be interesting.

I really liked De Bruyne - sure he gave up the ball when he tried to carry it occasionally (I hope he matures out of that a little), but dang he's a hard worker - probably the hardest running player I've seen all tournament.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM

..good game .. France take it home .
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Disgusting referee.

I can't believe what I saw on that Griezman dive then the "intentional" handball leading to a penalty shot.

Once again, FIFA's refs are influenced to make the calls favour the larger $$$$ market.

Game stats tell the story clearly.

Feel terrible for those Croatians - they were the far better team.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Disgusting referee.

I can't believe what I saw on that Griezman dive then the "intentional" handball leading to a penalty shot.

Once again, FIFA's refs are influenced to make the calls favour the larger $$$$ market.

Game stats tell the story clearly.

Feel terrible for those Croatians - they were the far better team.
LOL......far better team with the exception of the first 20 minutes they were dominated by a superior team. After playing some great games to get to the final their play was embarrassing sometime. A score of 4-1 (don't really count the free goal) and it was the refs fault, that is hilarious.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM

And it was an intentional hand ball that interrupted a potentially dangerous pass. France choose not to control the ball but clearly controlled the game.

What a brilliant victory for African football!
If it wasn't for this arrogant white guy in the goal the score would be epic.

Croatia made it an interesting final game, I don't think they were "far better" or better at all, but nor were they completely outclassed.

Last edited by ak-71; 07-15-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
LOL......far better team with the exception of the first 20 minutes they were dominated by a superior team. After playing some great games to get to the final their play was embarrassing sometime. A score of 4-1 (don't really count the free goal) and it was the refs fault, that is hilarious.
Clearly you are a casual soccer fan or a Frenchman.

The bottom line is we don't agree. I'm just giving you my opinion. Croatia had twice as many shots (14-7) and twice the possession (66% to 34%) but in the end they should have converted more opportunities - which they didn't. They didn't hit the target enough and didn't do enough - but I thought they were the better team and controlled the game until they were forced to press because of the score line. But that's partially their own fault too.

The fact that the ref made two very controversial calls - both resulting in French goals resulting in Croatia having to open up the game and make some risky presses that certainly contributed to letting France counter attack on the open wing.

The handball is a tough one. No intention, but it was outside the shadow of the body, ball to hand, yet did not result in an imminent opportunity. Overall no matter which way the ref made that call it would have been controversial.

The Griezman free kick was a dive - his feet were stuck in the pitch and he was going down (see replay) before the Croatian defender even made contact with him.

No skin off my behind anyways. France was supposed to win. That's the story line already in print.

Just disgusted how given any opportunity the refs always seem to rule in favour of the bigger market.

Nevertheless that was a great world cup.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Clearly you are a casual soccer fan or a Frenchman.

The bottom line is we don't agree. I'm just giving you my opinion. Croatia had twice as many shots (14-7) and twice the possession (66% to 34%) but in the end they should have converted more opportunities - which they didn't. They didn't hit the target enough and didn't do enough - but I thought they were the better team and controlled the game until they were forced to press because of the score line. But that's partially their own fault too.

The fact that the ref made two very controversial calls - both resulting in French goals resulting in Croatia having to open up the game and make some risky presses that certainly contributed to letting France counter attack on the open wing.

The handball is a tough one. No intention, but it was outside the shadow of the body, ball to hand, yet did not result in an imminent opportunity. Overall no matter which way the ref made that call it would have been controversial.

The Griezman free kick was a dive - his feet were stuck in the pitch and he was going down (see replay) before the Croatian defender even made contact with him.

No skin off my behind anyways. France was supposed to win. That's the story line already in print.

Just disgusted how given any opportunity the refs always seem to rule in favour of the bigger market.

Nevertheless that was a great world cup.
Clearly you are the casual sports fan, you think that stats dictate the outcome of a game, while they are only one small part of it which has been proven numerous times throughout this world cup and in many other sports. Blaming the ref....lame..... and claiming the better team lost......basically 4-1, I am guessing you have never played one minute of an organized sport of any kind.
I was actually hoping Croatia would win but today they were not the best team, but I do agree it was a great World Cup
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Clearly you are the casual sports fan, you think that stats dictate the outcome of a game, while they are only one small part of it which has been proven numerous times throughout this world cup and in many other sports. Blaming the ref....lame..... and claiming the better team lost......basically 4-1, I am guessing you have never played one minute of an organized sport of any kind.
I was actually hoping Croatia would win but today they were not the best team, but I do agree it was a great World Cup
I'm not going to argue with you.

And you are 100% right in your first point the outcome of the game often does not match statistics nor is it indicative of which is the stronger team.

Two (unfortunate events) subsequently controversial calls for the Croatians today - that's my opinion. It forced them to move their #6 position (Perisic) over the right side opening up the right attacking side for Mbappe to exploit.

I have a right to an opinion and I have extensive experience with competitive soccer as a player, coach, ref. - so I'd not classify myself as a casual observer and I'd like to think I have a qualified opinion at the very least worth of respectful consideration - something you failed to give me.

That's my opinion - big deal - we disagree.

Last edited by EZM; 07-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you.

And you are 100% right in your first point the outcome of the game often does not match statistics nor is it indicative of which is the stronger team.

Two (unfortunate events) subsequently controversial calls for the Croatians today - that's my opinion. It forced them to move their #6 position (Perisic) over the right side opening up the right attacking side for Mbappe to exploit.

I have a right to an opinion and I have extensive experience with competitive soccer as a player, coach, ref. - so I'd not classify myself as a casual observer and I'd like to think I have a qualified opinion at the very least worth of respectful consideration - something you failed to give me.

That's my opinion - big deal - we disagree.
Funny you would mention respect as you seem to enjoy labeling others comments when they disagree with you as coming from a casual or an average observer....not much respect there. You constantly stated stats throughout your comments on the games so it is pretty evident this is what you seem to use as criteria for a win regardless of score. Pretty hard to take you very serious when you are adamant that a team that basically lost 4-1 was the better team.
That's my opinion, no big deal we disagree.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Funny you would mention respect as you seem to enjoy labeling others comments when they disagree with you as coming from a casual or an average observer....not much respect there. You constantly stated stats throughout your comments on the games so it is pretty evident this is what you seem to use as criteria for a win regardless of score. Pretty hard to take you very serious when you are adamant that a team that basically lost 4-1 was the better team.
That's my opinion, no big deal we disagree.
What do you mean basically lost 4-1? The final score was 4-2.

A ridiculous comment only you would make - the final score was 4-2 and none of Croatia's goals came with any controversy.

Are you saying the error Lloris made handling the ball shouldn't have counted? Really?

No point in talking about this if this is too far beyond your capacity to read and understand my comments and opinion, which is, and was, BTW shared by a huge number of sports writers, newspapers, etc...

It's real simple ....

1) 2 of those call were that led to French goals are controversial. That same story line is all over the press - so it's not just my "stupid opinion". I'm just calling it as I see it - I have no skin in the game.

2) Croatia absolutely controlled the game and maintained possession and out shot France albeit, did not do enough to put quality shots on the net and test Llorris - so they didn't get it done. Many press reports also said Croatia controlled the game. Despite that, they didn't do enough to put the ball in the net and were unable to recover from those 2 controversial calls.

3) Anyone who knows football knows the reason France was able to open up and attack later (and score the last 2 goals) in the game from the right side where Mbappe attacked was because they moved his mark, Ivan Peresic, who was playing in the 6 position, who is the only one with enough pace to keep up with him, had to be pulled off his assignment and put on the attack as Croatia was behind. Before that France did not recorded one shot on target only in open play - they presented ZERO threat before that. Watch the game again and you will understand.

Either way we don't agree simply because this is beyond your understanding. that much is clear to me.

I do not want to disrespect the France team, they won the game, nor do I want to pee on their efforts. Congratulations to France and the team. Let's move on.