Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM

Default Advice on trailer tires.(no Chinese bombs please)

Hi looking to mount some tires on my 32 foot trailer for a trip later this year. I have factory tires on it now but have done a bit of research and most/all say Chinese tires only last 4-5 years then become unstable and tend to blow.

So I am looking for a new tires to mount that won't blow up on my trip. The trailer weighs about 6855# dry and road speed will be 60-65 MPH ( 100-107 kph) for the majority of the time.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Default TT tires

Looking into new rubber as well, same boat (and by boat I mean travel trailer) you are in, 27ft bumper pull with the factory tires which are 4 years old. Last weekend one of the sidewalls developed a leak when I backed it onto the levelling blocks, had to jack the whole thing up and put the spare on for the trip home.
From research on this forum and some others, it looks like the way to go are the Maxxis or the Carlisle.
Called Kaltire Edmonton yesterday and the Carlisle 225/75R15's came in at $125 a piece, total price installed with taxes and everything came to $642.00, they charge $20/tire for labour, which I feel is exceptable. These have a weight rating of 2800lbs.
Hope this helps.

Pat.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 PM

went around n around on this with our "local tire folks", they run Hercules on their holiday trailers, They said they will likely time out before I wear them out, as we don't use the trailer all that much. about $125/tire made in USA, Cooper tire I think makes em.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00 PM

I got 4 225/75/15 10 ply load E installed with all taxes for $550 at Award Auto. Over 90 % of trailer tires are from China. Sign of the times
Old 07-10-2018, 07:01 PM

About 5 years ago I put Carlisle tires on my trailer,, I just got home last weekend from a 5000km trip to Oregon and they still look as good as when they were installed. When I park the trailer after use I do cover up all 4 tires with tire covers to keep them out of the burning sun. I got them at Kaltire in Innisfail that time.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 PM

I've used gladiator tires on our trailer.

So far I've been very happy with them.

I've also been happy with the Carlisle tires.

One thing I'd say. Is getting them with higher capa city than needed.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Carlisle brought out a new design several years ago and I was an early installer of them and they still look great today. Done the Oregon coast and many other trips and no issues. FIL installed the same on the same trip and not a glitch. Go read over at Rv.net forums and it will drive you crazy. I believe they just brought a slightly more improved version as well recently. Maxxi is another good one but expensive and hard to find.
Unfortuneatly they are all made in China , Taiwan etc. So nor much to do there.
On another note realize the biggest reasons for tire failure. Under inflation is the biggest, proper weight rating, and another huge reason is speed. Most people don't realize ST tires speed is barely over 100 k. I see guys flying by found way more than that and by doing so is just waiting for the tires to blow. Many tire guys will even tell you the cheap made tires do well if people would inflate and run at the proper speed.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM

There is one goodyear tire made in the US. It has an extra heavy sidewall. Kal Tire sells them but not sure about others. The sales person showed that tire beside carlyle and the Good year tire looked much better as in much more rigid. I have a personal dislike for Good year though so didn't go that route.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM

Ya scares the crap outta me seeing guys hauling their trailers going 120+, that's just begging for a blowout. Keep 'em inflated, keep it under 110, and check the lugs. Paramount for trailer tire safety.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 PM

If you want to be really serious about tires and get durability and peace of mind you could do what I did on my last trailer that was like yours.
I assume you have 15” tires. You can buy four(or 5 if you want the spare to match perfectly) 16” rims for under $100 a piece and get Michelin XPS rib tires on them. These are ST tires that ARE RV rated, don’t have the 65mph limit, have a higher load capacity and a good deep tread that last a long time.
I kid you not, I ran one set of these on my last 30’ trailer for 8 years, never had a flat(good quality tires and tread ply helps this), never lost air pressures over winter and had about 75,000kms on them when I sold the trailer and they still had 3/8” tread depth. It was the best thing I ever did for my peace of mind and enjoyment going down the hiway constantly watching the mirrors for a bomb to go off and destroy the siding on the trailer and not having to worry about over speeding them or overloading them. Now I just have to help everyone else change tires on the road when there china bombs go off. Keep the originals in covered storage and put them back on when you sell the trailer and put the good ones on the next trailer.
I’ve got one buddy converted last year after his new supposedly good quality China bombs had two blowouts in one trip to Manitoba. So he bought 8 tires in one summer.
Got my sister finally converted this spring as well so that I don’t have to change and watch her tires while we travel.
I always cover the tires even in between trips during the summer.
Sorry, a little long winded but I hate seeing people waste money on junk tires and ruin there holidays.
https://m.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/xps-rib.html
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Lest we forget, alignment is an important factor in tire life. Got to the point that I figured our old horse trailer tires were good for about 3 years of limited driving.

Grizz
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM

I would do it in a heart beat and looked at it. The lt tires are wider and taller and too big to fit with proper clearances so I had to go to ST. Read good things on the Carlisle as my second choice and have been quite happy. If you have 16 inch wheels now or have enough clearance the XPS ribs would be at the top of my list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
If you want to be really serious about tires and get durability and peace of mind you could do what I did on my last trailer that was like yours.
I assume you have 15” tires. You can buy four(or 5 if you want the spare to match perfectly) 16” rims for under $100 a piece and get Michelin XPS rib tires on them. These are ST tires that ARE RV rated, don’t have the 65mph limit, have a higher load capacity and a good deep tread that last a long time.
I kid you not, I ran one set of these on my last 30’ trailer for 8 years, never had a flat(good quality tires and tread ply helps this), never lost air pressures over winter and had about 75,000kms on them when I sold the trailer and they still had 3/8” tread depth. It was the best thing I ever did for my peace of mind and enjoyment going down the hiway constantly watching the mirrors for a bomb to go off and destroy the siding on the trailer and not having to worry about over speeding them or overloading them. Now I just have to help everyone else change tires on the road when there china bombs go off. Keep the originals in covered storage and put them back on when you sell the trailer and put the good ones on the next trailer.
I’ve got one buddy converted last year after his new supposedly good quality China bombs had two blowouts in one trip to Manitoba. So he bought 8 tires in one summer.
Got my sister finally converted this spring as well so that I don’t have to change and watch her tires while we travel.
I always cover the tires even in between trips during the summer.
Sorry, a little long winded but I hate seeing people waste money on junk tires and ruin there holidays.
https://m.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/products/xps-rib.html
Old 07-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I would do it in a heart beat and looked at it. The lt tires are wider and taller and too big to fit with proper clearances so I had to go to ST. Read good things on the Carlisle as my second choice and have been quite happy. If you have 16 inch wheels now or have enough clearance the XPS ribs would be at the top of my list too.
Yea, some trailers can handle the size increase. It is only about 1/2 - 3/4 taller overall. My buddy had lots of room but my sisters was very tight.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 PM

As well, much to the disapproval of many tire places, I always get the tires balanced, always. You know how much you can feel your vehicle vibrate with a tire out of balance, then why in the heck would anyone want 4 or 6 tires on their RV shaking the trailer like that!!!! I sure don’t! These trailers fall apart easily enough on there own without them being shook apart and loose by tires.
As well, out of balance tires will wear funny and fast as well. Balancing is cheap and when you see how much weight gets put on you can only imagine how much the trailer must be shaking back there.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
As well, much to the disapproval of many tire places, I always get the tires balanced, always. You know how much you can feel your vehicle vibrate with a tire out of balance, then why in the heck would anyone want 4 or 6 tires on their RV shaking the trailer like that!!!! I sure don’t! These trailers fall apart easily enough on there own without them being shook apart and loose by tires.
As well, out of balance tires will wear funny and fast as well. Balancing is cheap and when you see how much weight gets put on you can only imagine how much the trailer must be shaking back there.
That's some good advice right there. Never put much thought into it but you sure notice when a front tire loses a weight. I wonder if those balance beads would do the job?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Throw your favorite E rated LT truck tires on your RV. They'll last much longer, better flat resistance, won't blow up, hold air better, and the selection is endless.

Don't know why anyone bothers with crappy trailer tires after the originals wear out/dry up/explode - whatever.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:41 PM

What about small trailers? I don't do long moves with my little kiwi with torsion axles. I'm looking at a 3" lift but it wont allow for much in adding larger wheels due to the wheel well size. I'm simply curious as not much is available in the smaller tire category. I also don't need or require a larger trailer.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Throw your favorite E rated LT truck tires on your RV. They'll last much longer, better flat resistance, won't blow up, hold air better, and the selection is endless.

Don't know why anyone bothers with crappy trailer tires after the originals wear out/dry up/explode - whatever.
If the OP has 15 inch wheels then he pretty stuck when it comes to heavy duty LT LRE tires. In a couple sizes there are some LRC options, but load range E is another story.

In the Trailer stuff, Carlisle is always pretty well respected when it comes to more cost effective offshore built options. For the higher end stuff, the new Goodyear Endurance seems to be a huge improvement over the older Marathon series, but you will expect to pay more as it is built in the USA (the Marathon was Chinese built). I cannot honestly say I have any long term feedback on them being such a new tire, but I do have more confidence in them compared to the Chinese trailer tires, but it comes at a price.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM

The XPS Rib Michelins in the LT225/75R16 tires are 29.4 inches tall, load rated at 2680 lbs.
You can hold a tape up to your existing tires and compare spacings between them and upper fenders etc. to see how much clearance you'll have.
If you go to the LT 245/75R16's they are 30.6 inches tall, and load rated at 3042 lbs if you need the capacity.
I personally would check it out with a tape. The 245's are the way to go if they fit.

On my current tri-axle RV I turfed the china bombs within days of getting it home when I bought it. I googled the make and I could buy a c-can load of them for $38 a piece!!!!! This is the #$#@#$# that manufactures put on our trailers! These are G rated 110psi tires as well.
I put Goodyear G614 RST tires on it. NOT cheap, about $400 a tire!!! But two years in I have not touched them and I have monitors on the rims for psi and temps and I have not had to add air yet and they run cool.

As a side note, I inflate my trailer tires as per the load inflation chart once I've run it across a scale. My 110 psi tires are set at 92 psi based on the heaviest load they will carry with the trailer full of water and quads. this makes them run cooler, and not over inflated wearing out the centre of the tread.
This doesn't apply to china bombs though, those you want fully inflated.
My previous XPS Ribs I ran at 68 psi (80 psi rated)going by the chart for the load they were carrying.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Get four 15" radial truck or car all season tires. Will pull better, not speed limited and far easier to balance and pull. I switched my dual axle boat trailer, 5200 lbs loaded, over to 14" d rated radials, rated at 2200 each on dual 3500 lb axles, a number of years ago. The improvement in pulling was hard to believe and they don't heat up at 70 MPH. Wear much better and stay balanced. No blow outs, flats or weird wear since switching.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
My buddy had lots of room but my sisters was very tight.
Ive heard that quote before.....

Think it was from a guy in Rycroft.....😂😂😂
Old 07-11-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Ive heard that quote before.....

Think it was from a guy in Rycroft.....😂😂😂
Priceless!!!!!!!

Haven’t laughed that hard in a long time!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 PM

If you aren't going to mod wheels to move up to a higher grade vehicle tire just buy Goodyears. Pretty much the best ST trailer tire out there. Watch for the $ 25 per tire sale a couple of times a year when the cost is more reasonable. will come in at the 140 - 145 cost.

I'd give Carlyle's a wide berth despite what some have said. You get what you pay for.

Slowing down to 100k max will save wear and tear as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all your input, put on some Chinese bombs again due to limited time frame to order/install other tires but my tire guy assured me that there good tires and will hold up ( I have been dealing with this company for years)..Hope all works out
Thanks again.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Sailun makes a rib tire. 66 pounds each and steel radial. 4000 lb capacity per tire. I have a dual axle toyhauler and went with these 3 years ago. 1000 bucks installed at kal on barlow.
Mine have 20 k and look brand new. I run them around 95 psi.

China bombs not a chance.... one blow out can cause a lot of damage or worse...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:44 PM

This is what a China Bomb will get ya. Put on Goodyears after that...

Took out the shock and a few other things underneath.

It happened near writing on stone on a hot day - about 35 degrees Celsius. It was so hot when I was jacking up the trailer the bottle Jack was sinking Into the asphalt.

God I love camping...