Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Stoney Nakoda incident

I figured someone would post this up but I didn't see it. Anybody else following this? Strange to say the least...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ness-1.4606315
Old 04-05-2018, 04:14 PM

There has been a wicked flu/cold going around.

Sad that a little one was lost.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:16 PM

I'm curious if its the house itself making them sick, black mold or something....
Old 04-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Not that strange. Around 3500 Canadians die from influenza every year. Young children and elderly are more susceptible to serious complications as are poor people/people that don't go get treatment.

14 people including 10 children sick in the house. Baby couldn't fight the disease on its own and didn't get proper medical attention in time. Sounds like the typical situation for this kind of event to occur.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm curious if its the house itself making them sick, black mold or something....
I was just thinking that Caber. Even a tainted well/water source possible.

Thoughts a prayers to this family. No person should have to deal with the loss of a little one.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Not that strange. Sounds like the typical situation for this kind of event to occur.
One child dead and 14 people from one house in the hospital. I have never had a "typical situation" flu in my house. For that I am thankful.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
My thoughts as well

Quote:
Not that strange. Around 3500 Canadians die from influenza every year.
You think that having 14 people sick and 1 dead in the same house is not strange? I would think they would seek medical help before somebody dies, not after.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Not that strange. Around 3500 Canadians die from influenza every year. Young children and elderly are more susceptible to serious complications as are poor people/people that don't go get treatment.

14 people including 10 children sick in the house. Baby couldn't fight the disease on its own and didn't get proper medical attention in time. Sounds like the typical situation for this kind of event to occur.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the RCMP Major Crimes unit doesn’t investigate cases of the flu. Also, you need to be dead dead to have a paramedic pronounce at the scene
Old 04-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
My thoughts as well. Mold illness is under diagnosed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You think that having 14 people sick and 1 dead in the same house is not strange? I would think they would seek medical help before somebody dies, not after.
The article does not say anything about contacting medical help after the child died. It says that the paramedics were contacted because there were 2 children in medical distress. One child is now dead, another in serious condition I assume those were the 2 kids in distress at the time of call. The parents likely were not going to call for help at all, my guess is the baby probably started having trouble breathing or something like that sparking the call for help too late.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The article does not say anything about contacting medical help after the child died. It says that the paramedics were contacted because there were 2 children in medical distress. One child is now dead, another in serious condition I assume those were the 2 kids in distress at the time of call. The parents likely were not going to call for help at all, my guess is the baby probably started having trouble breathing or something like that sparking the call for help too late.
Wow that's a lot of speculation/guessing on your part
Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Did we read the same article??
Old 04-05-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Wow that's a lot of speculation/guessing on your part
Either they called for help when the baby started to show severe symptoms or they though the baby was sleeping and then called for help when they realized something was wrong.

Any other possibility requires extreme negligence. Negligence to the point where it doesn't even make sense that they called for help(unless it was someone else that called).

Most people do not seek medical help when sick with the flu. I doubt a native american couple with 10 children is going to be proactive in this situation. They likely had been dealing with this flu for days if not weeks already...

Edit: There is a lot more speculation required to come up with any other explanation of this situation if you assume the baby was dead when they called for help...

Last edited by RavYak; 04-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Either they called for help when the baby started to show severe symptoms or they though the baby was sleeping and then called for help when they realized something was wrong.

Any other possibility requires extreme negligence. Negligence to the point where it doesn't even make sense that they called for help(unless it was someone else that called).

Most people do not seek medical help when sick with the flu. I doubt a native american couple with 10 children is going to be proactive in this situation. They likely had been dealing with this flu for days if not weeks already...

Edit: There is a lot more speculation required to come up with any other explanation of this situation if you assume the baby was dead when they called for help...
The point is, at this point, NOBODY knows exactly what happened, especially someone posting on the internet what they "supposed" happened as inevitably some will believe an internet post to be factual. Then you say that any other possibility than what you speculated would suggest " extreme negligence"...nice post...real nice...
Old 04-05-2018, 07:21 PM

My first thought was CO poisoning. would be relatively sudden and affect small children first. Flu like symptoms ? speculation on somebody's part and very general.

Grizz
Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 PM

Unhappy Out of respect for those involved . . .

Sadly, there's lots of speculation going on in this thread, ranging from the reasonable ... to borderlining on the 'stupid'.

This story just broke today. It will be many days (even weeks?) before we get the 'full' story. The right thing we can do
for now, is hope for the best for them, and wait.

Selkirk
Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Sadly, there's lots of speculation going on in this thread, ranging from the reasonable ... to borderlining on the 'stupid'.

This story just broke today. It will be many days (even weeks?) before we get the 'full' story. The right thing we can do
for now, is hope for the best for them, and wait.

Selkirk
x2
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The point is, at this point, NOBODY knows exactly what happened, especially someone posting on the internet what they "supposed" happened as inevitably some will believe an internet post to be factual. Then you say that any other possibility than what you speculated would suggest " extreme negligence"...nice post...real nice...
You don't think that knowing the baby was dead and not phoning for help isn't extreme negligence? My other options already covered the case that they phoned for help because the baby was either in distress or found dead... There aren't any other possibilities...

All I said is that based on the details given it is my opinion that the parents likely phoned for medical help because the baby was in distress. The phone call was about 2 children in distress and only one other child was diagnosed with serious issues. It seems logical that the parents would have phoned in because of complications related to the baby...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the RCMP Major Crimes unit doesn’t investigate cases of the flu. Also, you need to be dead dead to have a paramedic pronounce at the scene
In typical AO fashion the best, and most logical post ^^...gets completely ignored.

Whiteout, yup.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:11 AM

The presence of the major crimes section to investigate does not necessarily mean that a crime occurred, but they can determine if one occurred and get to the bottom of what happened whether it was a crime or a case of environmental poisoning from mold, inhalation of spilled household chemicals, a bad batch of food, toxic insects or plants, rabid chinchilla, etc. Heck, it could even be toxic doorknobs with rare Russian-developed nerve agent spread on them! The sky is the limit really. Just in case people weren't aware, Alberta Health Services does not have such a team so the police are utilized to investigate due to the serious nature of the events outcome and because they are trained to investigate. All the time people will read in news reports where police have determined that "no foul play is suspected", to make such statements they have to be the ones who checked into things in the first place.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
The presence of the major crimes section to investigate does not necessarily mean that a crime occurred, but they can determine if one occurred and get to the bottom of what happened whether it was a crime or a case of environmental poisoning from mold, inhalation of spilled household chemicals, a bad batch of food, toxic insects or plants, rabid chinchilla, etc. Heck, it could even be toxic doorknobs with rare Russian-developed nerve agent spread on them! The sky is the limit really. Just in case people weren't aware, Alberta Health Services does not have such a team so the police are utilized to investigate due to the serious nature of the events outcome and because they are trained to investigate. All the time people will read in news reports where police have determined that "no foul play is suspected", to make such statements they have to be the ones who checked into things in the first place.
Exactly, if major crimes didn't appear and somehow it did turn out to be a crime scene there would be much gnashing of teeth, wailing and protests as to why they didn't show up and how society is ignoring the plight of another minority group.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Very good chance it was nothing more than influenza B and we'll never know as it will be confidential patient information. It's not uncommon for young kids to die or for it to spread like wildfire in a tightly packed enviroment.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Update !

Alberta Health Services officials confirm there is no health risk to the public in connection with Wednesday’s emergency response on the Stoney Nakoda First Nation that saw fourteen members of a family transported from the scene in ambulance.
According to an AHS statement released Friday afternoon, the patients that were admitted to hospital were suffering from a ‘variety of common respiratory viruses’.
Stoney Child and Family Services representatives confirm nine of the family’s children have returned home. Several of the children were spotted walking outside the Alberta Children’s Hospital on Friday wearing surgical masks.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/stoney-na...uses-1.3874996
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM

It will be interesting to see if the parents/guardians are charged with the same crimes that David and Collet Stephen and Tamara Lovett were convicted of.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-07-2018, 12:27 PM

Cool Meh

What's the bigger story here?

What happened to that family, or all the speculation on this thread ?

Old 04-07-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Wrong; medics can pronounce you whenever needed. As soon as your heart stops, if the situation dictates.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 PM

If you've ever lost a child, you will know what the family is going through.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Also, you need to be dead dead to have a paramedic pronounce at the scene
This is an important observation, IMO. I know of three different cases where the outcome was apparent, but the paramedics made the call there was a chance & transported!! The families left behind appreciated this immensely, so much better than waiting hours upon hours for a coroner.

In the terrible misfortune of an untimely death, knowing you can kind of ask & maybe get transport, might really help someone someday!!