Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 PM

Default PFD Recommendations?

Hello,
I have an inflatable single person pontoon boat that I'm planning to use this season. I'm thinking about buying a Cabelas version of their inflatable PFD. I want it to be comfortable and uninhibiting when I'm casting. Any recommendations from your own experience?
Thanks
Old 03-29-2018, 10:16 PM

I have a Hobie brand inflatable. Light weight, doesn't get in the way of seats etc and breathes well, overall I really like it. I had a bad habit of not wearing my old life jacket but that isn't a problem at all wit the inflatable.

As for choosing one there are 3 main things I can think of.

Manual vs Automatic, I chose manual because I have seen a buddies go off on accident before when wet. Automatic is safer in case you end up in the water unconscious but that in the end it is a personal choice.

Fit, try on a few options and see how they compare. Everyone is built differently so only way to know is to try them.

Recharge availability. This is probably the biggest thing that would possibly scare me away from a Cabelas brand model. They change some of their products regularly and it could make for finding recharge kits difficult. A company like Mustang is much more apt to have recharge kits available even after the life jacket is discontinued.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 PM

Mustang HIT (Manual and Hydrostatic deployment). More expensive, but your life is worth it!

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_C...-MD315302.html

P

-Confucius