Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Damn Magpies

I am having trouble at the farm with the local magpie population. I have about 20 of them that are eating dogfood like its going out of style, waking me up at all hours and being general PITA's. I have tried baiting and shooting, tried trapping, all with some success before they got my number. Is there any way that a guy can call these things into shotgun range? I need something that will set them off a little bit so that I can trim the numbers down.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM

There's no doubt they are very cagy birds. Usually if you drop one or two of them they catch on fast and go away. Try bagging one more and leave it hand around the dog food dish. Deceased relatives seem to put them off in a big hurry.
Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

We have tried that, it seems like it works for a couple hours and then it doesnt bother them. I am at my wits end with them, they are so damn smart. I have been shooting them out of the bedroom window, and now they wont come near the trees if a window is open. But they figured out that if they hop along the edge of the garage they are out of view.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Here's what I did; one, place a target up at the exact distance you want to shoot the magpies (for me this was above the man door of my garage), two, sight in your rifle on the target, three, replace target with meat scraps, four, whack magpies, five, pour a drink, six, feel smug. The most of these bastards I ever shot at a single sitting was six. Once you kill the first one, all his buddies want to come over and investigate offering you the opportunity to kill some more. Good luck.

Bobby B.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Hoochie Papa

I think Bobby has the right idea. They will figure out the shotgun range pretty quick. Move up to something that will reach out there a bit while you stay hidden. They might figure out that no matter where they go, one drops.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm amazed at how many you will attract calling coyote's, i've had 30+ magpies hang around and make a racket while i'm calling, same for crows, got a few of those this weekend, never actually sat with a shotgun and hunted magpies with the rabbit call but im sure you'd be able to get a few, worked for crows this weekend, they are pretty smrt birds, while annoying as hell too.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM

You can also build a trap out of chicken wire,make a rectangular frame out of 1 x 2. On the top of the stucture come in from both top corners a foot or so,at this point angle the top down till it is several inches below the rest.Now run a 2 x 6 the length of the unit where these sloping boards meet. Before installing the 2x6 cut a couple inch slot down the board length wise.
The magpies can get in but with nothing to hold onto to swing them selves out they cant get out,this works great for starlings as well.

Once you have everything put together bait with grain,meat scraps and some water,dont kill the forst couple birds in it they will act as decoys,when they get excited when they cant get out they will bring birds from all over.

Hope this helps,any questions pm me
Ian
Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM

try a cheap owl decoy.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 PM

Default holstien pheasants

i bought a magpie decoy at my local sports store. it has a couple batteries, and comes with a short post to stick in the ground.
it has 2 settings, one starts to caw as soon as you turn on it on, the other has a 2 minute delay. will bring in birds for a long ways. i bought it to bring in coyotes, but magpies and crows check it out too. i think i paid $40 for it, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM

I have been in the same boat as you. Got several with the shotgun, then 22, then 22-250, but they are smart buggers. I tried setting some bait out in front of the shop and left the door open a little bit. I parked my butt about 15 feet inside the dark building and shot them with the 22. I think the dark building helped. I got 9 in about 25 minutes this way. Didn't scare the crap out of the wife and kids like the shotgun out the patio doors did either. After numerous cleansing attempts I still had the noisy buggers squawking at 5 in the morning. The next step is a little more difficult. If you can lock up your dog and any others that you like, or even cats for that matter, it works well. Take some bait(raw hamburger works great) and lace it with gopher poison. This works extremely well, BUT you must keep it away from your pets. If you have an elevated area you can put it, it works very well. I live in the country and place it on top of a large post on my loading chute. The post is metal and the cats can't climb it and it's 12 feet in the air so the dog is safe as well. I now have a considerably smaller magpie population. I find it needs to be done about once a year.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Default A city solution

I live in the city so whacking 'em is more difficult for me. I use a shiny black broom handle to chase them off (smack it against the deck). then leave it next to the garbage. seems to keep most of them away.

...the problem is that you don't get paid to sit around waiting for magpies to attempt to steal dog food.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:42 PM

A baited pile of scraps at 100 yards and a 204 Ruger out the bedroom window works well. No question when you hit em!

Craig
Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Here's what I did; one, place a target up at the exact distance you want to shoot the magpies (for me this was above the man door of my garage), two, sight in your rifle on the target, three, replace target with meat scraps, four, whack magpies, five, pour a drink, six, feel smug. The most of these bastards I ever shot at a single sitting was six. Once you kill the first one, all his buddies want to come over and investigate offering you the opportunity to kill some more. Good luck.

Bobby B.
The same general idea worked for me one afternoon last fall. I just put the dog dish on the lawn were I could see it from the table......... just remember to have the patio door open (joke).
I got 6 or 7. They seemed curious about the dead ones as they squaked at and nudged them. They would get so distracted you could get 2 back to back as a shot hitting one would not cause the others to fly off, they would just continue to squack and nudge the shot ones.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Default trap

I used to put an old gopher trap on top of a fence post with some meat scraps under it. Once you got one just let it hang and squawk. Yes it will attract others that you can pick off with a 22. but after an hour of it squawking and you shooting any that come around, it seems to scare the rest away and keep them away. Then get rid of the one in the trap.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Sounds like another 'Operation Magpie' in the works!

Dale, have a look at this link. Very comprehensive and has directions/illustrations on how to build and set up a magpie trap.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm.../all/agdex3496

Now you may want to have a look at this thread.........

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=8921

........and the unexpected finale!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=9183

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Tree
Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
There's no doubt they are very cagy birds. Usually if you drop one or two of them they catch on fast and go away. Try bagging one more and leave it hand around the dog food dish. Deceased relatives seem to put them off in a big hurry.
Good luck.

that used to work around here, but they are not stupid. Ours have figured out, if they don't squawk , like banshees, they don't attract attention and can empty the dog food dish. Best answer is wire mesh trap.
Grizz
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post

Bobby B.
and if your in the city the swat team surrounds yer house , haaaaaaaaaa.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Why not pick up an Owl decoy
Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 PM

some of my only magpie kills were on a farm in Sask. used a muskrat trap and meat on top of a round bale. Also shot one off the gut pile from a steer butchered that day. Good luck pretty dam smart birds
Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Sounds like another 'Operation Magpie' in the works!

Dale, have a look at this link. Very comprehensive and has directions/illustrations on how to build and set up a magpie trap.

Now you may want to have a look at this thread.........

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=8921

........and the unexpected finale!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=9183

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Tree
good read tree , I actually pulled out the slingshot tonight just to get the reaction from the 6 or 7 hanging around right now , they quickly got out of range . I didn't tell you I had one in my fireplace last week,sadly my daughters made me release it . I told them if we lived out of town it would be dead . Ever since that day my place is a friggin Magpie sanctuary.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Marlin, don't get me started on the endless slingshot theorys. Mine is used as a groundman training aid.

You may also want to read this one too. Be glad you live further up the hill.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=16973

Tree
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM

i find it amazing how smart they are, doesnt' take them long to put 2 and 2 together, at my place you can walk across the yard with them flying around squaking like they run the place not a worry in the world, but the second and i mean the second you step out that door with a rifle in hand they are gone, one will see that gun in your hand and then the rest just bug out, it's funny really when you think about it, if only they weren't so ugly and annoying
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Take your 410 for a little walk and find their nests. Stand back about 20 feet and put a load of light stuff through it and wait. The racket that they will make will bring mom and pop back in short order.....be ready. Then clean up your mess

One piece of advice that I might offer is to do this alone or with someone that is of the same mind set as you

tm
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
You can also build a trap out of chicken wire,make a rectangular frame out of 1 x 2. On the top of the stucture come in from both top corners a foot or so,at this point angle the top down till it is several inches below the rest.Now run a 2 x 6 the length of the unit where these sloping boards meet. Before installing the 2x6 cut a couple inch slot down the board length wise.
The magpies can get in but with nothing to hold onto to swing them selves out they cant get out,this works great for starlings as well.

Once you have everything put together bait with grain,meat scraps and some water,dont kill the forst couple birds in it they will act as decoys,when they get excited when they cant get out they will bring birds from all over.

Hope this helps,any questions pm me
Ian

X2 this is the best method it cleans em up fast
either that or import a few sparrow hawks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Take your 410 for a little walk and find their nests. Stand back about 20 feet and put a load of light stuff through it and wait. The racket that they will make will bring mom and pop back in short order.....be ready. Then clean up your mess

One piece of advice that I might offer is to do this alone or with someone that is of the same mind set as you

tm
This is the best advice to be rid of the vermin. But I would use the 12 gauge with #8 shot and take the plug out.

The other thing that works is full camo, 12 gauge with #8 and a dying rabbit predator call.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 PM

If you use a 12 make sure you don't hit the nest dead centre. If you do you'll be sitting for a long time waiting for ma and pa!!!!!

tm
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Maybe a variation of the farmer's barncat cure. Try setting out a garbage can lid at a certain range from your favorite hiding spot with bait for a couple of days, let them get used to it, let them feed in bunches. Take out your shotty and get the pattern figured (certain spread, certain range) and wait for a multiple magpie opportunity, and let 'em have it! Should be able to get a few with one round!I know a farmer that got multiple cats many times over in this way. Cagey old barncats at that!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post

...Tree
I've used this design to trap magpies, it works very well. It works best if you prebait for a day, then once they're back looking for food there again, have the baited trap in place. 15 is the record I've had in one trap, sitting out for half a day.

Couple of suggestions on the trap design... use a 4x4 piece of chipboard or plywood as a floor, and nail the cage down to it. With just the cage on the ground, they CAN find their way out underneath it, even if it's pegged down in a few places. It makes the trap a bit more durable, too, if it has a floor for structure. Also, use fairly small mesh wire. You'll be bloody amazed at how small a hole they can compress through to get out.

Also, make sure they can't reach the bait meat from the outside, or even from in the funnel. You'd be surprised how far they can reach.

The nice thing is.. you set it up, leave, come back and ... harvest.

Good luck with them.

-FL
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

Good idea on the trap.
On the farm we used something close to that, but our top was just some 2x6 with a 4 inch gap between 2 boards, the birds will squeeze down , but they cant get out.

Jamie