Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Scope for long range 6.5 creedmoor?

Hi.
Anyone actually shoot out too the 1200M mark? If so.... I have been weighing a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 x 50 or 56mm. In a SFP MOAR T reticle. This is a target/paper/gong rifle. What's the magnification recomendations for 1200M plus maybe a bit. 8x56mm is the next magnification up. I have stellar eyesight. 20/15. I had a 3-12x42mm on a .270 that I shot 5" gongs at 500M with. That was sufficent. 1200M or more is a different game. Any recomendations or actual experience stories would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Ive got a custom 260 sporting a nsx sfp 3-15x50 i do just fine out to 1300 always find myself around 10x
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM

I just purchased a Leupold VX 6 4-25x52, TMOA reticle, the glass is excellent, even in foggy weather! The reason I didn't go with Nightforce is that, the comparable scope was quite a bit heavier, on a 7lb rifle that's not a big deal, but my rifle is already close to 10lbs, also because if I have any warranty issues, I know Leupold, usually has pretty quick service!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM

The NXS 5.5-22 is plenty of scope for 1200 yards. Just make sure you get the moart and not the moar reticle. I have 2 5.5-22 with the moart reticle and they are great. I also have a 8-32 with the moar reticle and i find it very course.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
The NXS 5.5-22 is plenty of scope for 1200 yards. Just make sure you get the moart and not the moar reticle. I have 2 5.5-22 with the moart reticle and they are great. I also have a 8-32 with the moar reticle and i find it very course.
Ok. Yes I was thinking moar t reticle. The 8×32 is course? As in grainy? Anyway do you have the 50mm or 56mm objective lens in the 5.5x22 scopes.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:35 PM

LOTS of good reasons to choose NF ATACR over NXS, and 56 over 50 mm objective.

There are very good reasons why NF is heavier than Leupold.

MOAR T reticle is .0625 moa thick.

MOAR can be .140 or .100 moa thick,
AFAIK it depends on when built, and model and magnification, and FFP or SFP.
I suspect the early NXS in 3.5-15 were .140, but later NXS and all ATACR is .100
The NF website reticle specs are not always complete or correct.
If you have a serial #, NF can tell you which thickness is on the build blueprint specification.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCalm View Post
Ok. Yes I was thinking moar t reticle. The 8×32 is course? As in grainy? Anyway do you have the 50mm or 56mm objective lens in the 5.5x22 scopes.

The moar reticle is too thick compared to the moart. My 5.5-22 are both 50mm. The 8-32 is a 56.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
LOTS of good reasons to choose NF ATACR over NXS, and 56 over 50 mm objective.

There are very good reasons why NF is heavier than Leupold.

MOAR T reticle is .0625 moa thick.

MOAR can be .140 or .100 moa thick,
AFAIK it depends on when built, and model and magnification, and FFP or SFP.
I suspect the early NXS in 3.5-15 were .140, but later NXS and all ATACR is .100
The NF website reticle specs are not always complete or correct.
If you have a serial #, NF can tell you which thickness is on the build blueprint specification.

Good Luck, YMMV
Thank you

Old 11-15-2016, 11:16 PM

Default Razor HD II

Give the Vortex Razor HD II a look, its pretty popular in the PRS (Precision Rifle Series) and those guys are generally pretty good shooters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best-Rifle-Scope.jpg (19.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Give the Vortex Razor HD II a look, its pretty popular in the PRS (Precision Rifle Series) and those guys are generally pretty good shooters.
Competitors select equipment optimized for very specific events, and situations.

The PRS series includes sections requiring rapid shots at widely varying ranges. These are facilitated by the use of FFP, ‘Christmas tree’ / Horus type reticles, as these can be faster than adjusting turrets. The PRS ranges vary, but few are extreme. Longer ranges may require more vertical turret travel and range of operation. IIRC the Razor HD II has 25moa / turn turrets and a maximum of 3 turns (75moa), NF ATACR has 30moa / turn and 120moa total turret range available. IMHO this is why fewer competitors are using S&B as IIRC their turrets are limited to 2 turns and ~65moa total.

Shooters need to select equipment suitable for their individual needs, abilities and preferred procedures or methods. A shooter using a laser range finder (or known range) and dialing for elevation, may prefer SFP, thinner lines and no ‘Christmas tree’.

We must also remember that some brands and competitors have sponsorships that may provide free or loaned equipment, and/or outright cash payment for use, and/or cash or equipment prizes for competitive results.

As always, Your needs (and Mileage) May Vary.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 AM

I'm also considering a scope and so far am leaning towards the Burris XTR II. I'd love to go the NF route, but they are considerably more money and I likely won't be able to exceed the capabilities of the Burris anyway. Most of the reviews I read are favorable and the ones I've looked though seem pretty decent.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Competitors select equipment optimized for very specific events, and situations.

The PRS series includes sections requiring rapid shots at widely varying ranges. These are facilitated by the use of FFP, ‘Christmas tree’ / Horus type reticles, as these can be faster than adjusting turrets. The PRS ranges vary, but few are extreme. Longer ranges may require more vertical turret travel and range of operation. IIRC the Razor HD II has 25moa / turn turrets and a maximum of 3 turns (75moa), NF ATACR has 30moa / turn and 120moa total turret range available. IMHO this is why fewer competitors are using S&B as IIRC their turrets are limited to 2 turns and ~65moa total.

Shooters need to select equipment suitable for their individual needs, abilities and preferred procedures or methods. A shooter using a laser range finder (or known range) and dialing for elevation, may prefer SFP, thinner lines and no ‘Christmas tree’.

We must also remember that some brands and competitors have sponsorships that may provide free or loaned equipment, and/or outright cash payment for use, and/or cash or equipment prizes for competitive results.

Thank you. I will only be shooting this from home and for the most part will range with my laser or know the distance. I enjoy calculating and dialing. I have a SFP firedot (Mil) and that is kinda fun to range with. Out to 500M I use a standard duplex and dial. Shoot alone. Maybe a reticle pattern would be a good idea to shoot out too the 1200 + mark. Again, shooting alone.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:45 AM

The Khales 624I is what I'd recommend in the SKMR3 reticle
Or the Vortex GenII
It'll get you out to 1200m pretty easily
Old 11-16-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm also considering a scope and so far am leaning towards the Burris XTR II. I'd love to go the NF route, but they are considerably more money and I likely won't be able to exceed the capabilities of the Burris anyway. Most of the reviews I read are favorable and the ones I've looked though seem pretty decent.
I have 2 Burris XTR II. Great optic. took mine out to a mile with my 300wm. Tracking it spot on and i like the beefy turrets. There is one for sale on the optics section.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 PM

Default I have a Burris XTRII and like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I have a Burris XTR II 8x40 and its a pretty nice scope. I like the 1/8 moa adjustments. The 40X magnification is handy when reaching out along distance. I also have a Razor Gen II and its a very nice scope. There is a pretty big price difference between the 2 over $1000. I admit i prefer shooting the Razor. (no Christmas tree on mine)

I would like to add a NF ATCR to my stable one day.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:02 PM

Default good points

Quote:

Good points

Having a second focal plane would be nice so the night force ATCR would be a great choice.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100zero View Post
I have 2 Burris XTR II. Great optic. took mine out to a mile with my 300wm. Tracking it spot on and i like the beefy turrets. There is one for sale on the optics section.
That there is. I'd be interested too if he wasn't asking only $200 less than new. Oh well.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Banned

You can get a few different scopes that will easily take you to 1200 yds, for 1/2 the cost of a NightForce NXS.

Sightron, Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, etc...
Old 11-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
You can get a few different scopes that will easily take you to 1200 yds, for 1/2 the cost of a NightForce NXS.

Sightron, Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, etc...
This is very true. I own Schmidt Bender, Nightforce, Bushnell, Sightron, Nikon and have owned Vortex. For the money Sightron is hard to beat. The glass on a Sightron SIII SS is equivalent to a Nightforce NXS at half the price.

As long as the scope is true they will all take you past a KM consistently. Even my cheap Nikon Prostaff in 16x mounted on a Savage 10 PC in .223 was consistently hitting 12" steel at 1200M in a 3m/s cross wind.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:19 PM

X2 on the sightron 3.
I have a $450 Accushot(Leapers) that did pretty decent out to 1200 yards,to but buy good glass and you"ll never look back.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
This is very true. I own Schmidt Bender, Nightforce, Bushnell, Sightron, Nikon and have owned Vortex. For the money Sightron is hard to beat. The glass on a Sightron SIII SS is equivalent to a Nightforce NXS at half the price.

As long as the scope is true they will all take you past a KM consistently. Even my cheap Nikon Prostaff in 16x mounted on a Savage 10 PC in .223 was consistently hitting 12" steel at 1200M in a 3m/s cross wind.
forgive me because i am not a long range shooter, I consider long range 500 yards!
but wouldnt you be near 700" of drop at 1200meters?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post

forgive me because i am not a long range shooter, I consider long range 500 yards!

But wouldnt you be near 700" of drop at 1200meters?
At least that much, probably closer to 1000"... More depending on the projectile & velocity.

But yeah, like 80 feet of drop. Give 'er take...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 11-21-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 PM

You won't be hitting the 1000" drop mark until 1400 or so depending on the bullet you are shooting. For me 3-18 /3-20 is plenty. I very rarely use the highest magnification as mirage can be a major problem. On that it is FFP all the way for me since I am rarely at max magnification I need the ability to accurately hold no matter the power. The Vortex Gen II or the new Schmidt Ultra Short are very nice. Big fan of NF unfortunately they need to get onto the 6x mag range adjustment.

Last edited by Cappy; 11-21-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:16 AM
Banned

Default Sorry for the derail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

You won't be hitting the 1000" drop mark until 1400 or so depending on the bullet you are shooting...
In my quote of GaryK, he's quoted Tcon who stated he was using a .223rem and 1200 meters (not yards).

Try the math using reasonable velocities for 223 cartridges with any given weight of projectile.

I used a high-BC 70gr bullet @ 3000fps in the Calgary area, for my calculations...

But I digress from the OP's question.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
In my quote of GaryK, he's quoted Tcon who stated he was using a .223rem and 1200 meters (not yards).

Try the math using reasonable velocities for 223 cartridges with any given weight of projectile.

I used a high-BC 70gr bullet @ 3000fps in the Calgary area, for my calculations...

But I digress from the OP's question.
My apologies didn't notice the .223 part, thought they were still talking 6.5 Creedmoor