Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Would you advise a fella starting out in archery (bow hunting) to try starting with a single pin sight ?
Why not? If they can figure out how to use multiple pins, why can't they learn to use 1 pin? It's all about learning how your equipment works and it's capabilities. If you want to endeavor to understand your equipment and it's characteristic's, and you believe you will commit to apply yourself to be proficient absolutely. This should be the goal of any archer anyway.

Realistically, if you are just beginning, and have a range limited to 35 yards or so, why would you want to concern yourself with multiple pins? Set your bow at 28 yards and go shoot! It's as simple as that. If you want to shoot farther, move your sight and shoot farther.

Honestly, it is way easier than having multiple pins to worry about.

Lefty, I was die hard like you until I sat back and thought about the last 30 or so big game animals I have taken with archery tackle, and I came to the conclusion that there was no advantage that multiple pins provided me, and in a few instances it would have kept me from making a poor shot on an animal because I picked the wrong pin. And that does happen!. Sure, the soother of having a 50 or 60 yard pin "just in case" is nice to have, but in all reality if I want to shoot that far I will have time to move my sight. If I don't, there likely is not really an ethical shot available since the animal is obviously on the move, or not relaxed and presenting a good shot angle.

Just my opinion.

Norm