Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM

This is my advice to you ABH without any side commentary.

1) Your bait sites are too close together. Bait sites should be placed far enough apart to prevent bait jumping and loosing your bait to one bear. Most hunters I've talked to before I started baiting recommend 2-3 miles between baits, but further doesn't hurt either. 700 yards is way to close. You would be better off with one big bait site as opposed to two small ones that close together.

2) You don't really want to discourage any bear from your bait site. The idea is to set your bait site up in such a way so that when the bears wonder around the area they leave scent to bring in other bears.

3) The cheapest bait to use to avoid running out is rolled oats and grease. Meat scraps and sugar items are great but the costs run up. I have been told over and over the rotting grease is the best way to bring bears in. Rolled oats can be bought at UFA for fairly cheap with molasses already added. If I remember correctly I was paying $22/bag at 25kg. I was only adding a 1/4 bag per baiting. The idea is to bait them not feed them. Spread the grease EVERYWHERE. As they walk threw it they track it away from the site attracting more bears. The meat scarps and sugar items are a good way to start a bait but the oats and grease is enough to keep it going and keep the costs down.

This is my advice, its just my opinion, use what works for you and discard the rest.

Good Luck in your bear hunting.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 PM

Bi9g Moose, thanks,

Maybe what I have been doing wrong, sorry, we have been doing wrong is filling hte barrels right up full. Every 3-4 days they are pretty much empty. We have been filling them with bread, bagels, buns, ect and Grease. ANd some peanut butter on the surrounding trees. So yo usuggest lowereing the amount of bait. My question is then, if the bait is empty for a couple days, will the bears continue to show up? Or will the bears move on when its empty?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Right with what Big Moose said, barrel design plays a pretty big role in bait conservation. Im not sure what yours look like, but with an enclosed drum, a hole just big enough for a large bears front paw and lower leg is just right. They will have to roll it around to get the bait to the hole where they can get it. Oats work wonderfully in this situation. When its almost empty they will have their work cut out to get the bait they know is in there. Could be just what you are looking for. If a smaller bear is on the barrel making noise, a larger dominant bear bedded close by will prob hear the commotion and run your smaller bears out. I agree with the "bait em, dont feed em," policy. Transporting even the easy to get bait is a lot of work. If your working hard for bait, ie; dumpster diving at night at the local Tim Hortons and bakeries for the junk food, you will know how precious it is. Over feeding them isnt what ya want to do. You want hungry bears that know there will be food there when the dinner bell rings,,,(the quad pulls up and then leaves), or out doing their thing till its time to get heading for the barrel. You know when primetime is.
My barrels are rigged just a hair different than what I mentioned. I am able to accurately tell size and color with nothing more than a drum chained or #9 wired to a tree. I cut the tops of my drums with a torch to basically have 4 pie shaped peices removed. The remaining drum top is approx 4 inches wide between the removed peices, it looks like a cross. They cant tip the drums. A small bear will not be able to reach into the bottom to get the meager bait that I leave. They will stand on top and fight like hell, but they arent going to get much. They will get enough to stick around though. Supplement with abit of bait outside the drum for smaller bear. Some pretty cool color phases out there, and you definately want the smaller stuff around. A big bear can easily reach the bottom, and if shes gone, shes show time. To tell color of bear, its so stupid its funny. When ya cut the drum tops, dont be a fool and grind up the rough torch cuts. Their hair snags on it nicely. There wont be but afew hairs when ya check it, but if ya get scientific, you will see exactly what I mean. With multiple baits and only a week to hunt my 8 barrels, I will within afew days know exactly which baits I want to hang my stands on. Has worked well in the past. No doubt theres some better ideas/stuff out there. Id love to see them and hear explanations as to why. Id change my barrels over pretty quick for the right set up!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 PM

I've used the barrels with removable tops and a 5 to 6" hole cut in the bottom, stood against a tree and tied with a length of steel cable and some clamps. The barrels are easy to fill, the birds can't get in and the bear has to work for his food, so you don't have to use nearly as much bait as some of the set ups I've seen.
Grizz
Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 PM

My barrels have a 6" x 6" hole on top as well as 2 4 x 6" holes on sides about 1/3 from the top. On of these holes is covered by wire mesh. Maybe I should cover the other one as well.

As for Identifying the bears, I have my treebark trial cam set up at one of the sites at all times. I get some great pics.

I may start fresh next year as well, I may try the swan hills area, I think there are way to many hunters in the area I am. Every so often you here vehicle driving down the dead end road.... 10 mins later, back they go.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 PM

Firstly - 220swifty and bigmoose - and a few others - some great ideas there. Thanks for staying on top and offering some valuable ideas. I'm a ways off of 'really' thinking about bear, but I will suck up every great tidbit I can along the way.

Far be it from me to jump on a troll - but in this case, I just wanna. If you aren't interested, please move on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntress71 View Post
Some clarification definately is needed...

A) ABH you were anything but proud of that bear ... I imagine the same thing will happen to this years bear as well.

B) It was no 7 ' bear...try 5 '
Above quote 'shortened' for brevity.

Huntress71, Alberta Doe..whatever you call yourself,

A) Don't EVER think that every hunter is proud of EVERY animal they ever take. "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" is part of life. Hunters accept it, Poachers try a do-over. Don't try to villify someone for having a bad day and dealing with it while staying within the rules.

B) Who's "size" are you taking a stab at there? The bears?... Classy.

C) Please feel free to ... I am by no means an "Idiot", nor are many of the others who just got targeted by your spew. As for 'Computer Geeks' - since we're all idiots, I guess we'll be sure not to shop where you work, since theres no sense giving you our hard earned cash. Good way to get an invite to go out too...

(And it doesn't take a trophy to figure that one out.)

Have a good one.

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-22-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 PM

We use the same bait barrel techniques as Grizzly Adams the only thing is that the screw top has the hole as well. It works well and the bears have to work hard to get the last 1/4 of the barrel. One other thing that you could do.....using a second barrel, attach a chain through 2 holes right beside each other on the side and give the chain lots of slack and then drill 1/2-1" holes all over the barrel and fill the barrel with sweet mix (Oats and mollases)...you can add grease and mix aswell. The bears will eat out of the other barrel but to keep them coming in and with not having a fear of running out of bait to keep them coming back, they will have to roll and rock that second barrel to get some oats to come out. It will take a long time for the barrel to empty. Just food for thought but I would stay away from the barrels with the hole in the side as the food is just too easy to get at. Hope this helps.........Marco
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM

I find it interesting that the mod's are entitled to modify posts and replies to posts. Funny. If I say something, I tend to stand by it, even if I'm wrong.

I guess no-one is entitled to have to live up to their words.