Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Jim Shockey videos

So I was watching the latest JIm Shockey whitetail video the other day and I really enjoy the video footage and hunts with all the great deer. I know he leases the land in Sask somewhere. As I was watching i noticed that every hunt the deer were shot over baits. I was curious if this is legal in Sask. I kind of turn away from the whole baiting of whitetails. And i know he is a professional hunter and i have tons of respect for him but it just kinda looks bad if you ask me. What does everyone else think???
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
sheephunter

Yes it is most definitely legal in Saskatchewan and the most common way that outfitters hunt there and many residents and non-residents do it as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Default baiting

ya baiting is legal in Sask, at least the northern area.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 372elk View Post
i know he is a professional hunter and i have tons of respect for him but it just kinda looks bad if you ask me. What does everyone else think???
Yeah - it takes a little getting used to for us guys that have never baited deer before...but it's hard fault anyone for using methods that are fully within the law.

Does anyone know if baiting is viewed as "fair chase" for B&C or P&Y?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Does anyone know if baiting is viewed as "fair chase" for B&C or P&Y?
If legal then yes they do qualify for either book.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 PM

The way i look at it it's no different than hunting a field of oats .
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 PM

I don't know about baiting whitetails, man. There are so many good ones around that are easily taken without baiting. Maybe we are just not used to it here. For me it would take the fun and challenge out of it. No disrespect to those that do it but not my piece of cake.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If legal then yes they do qualify for either book.
That's what I figured but I've never hunted in Sask so never had any reason to look into it. Thanks Sheep.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
That's what I figured but I've never hunted in Sask so never had any reason to look into it. Thanks Sheep.
Ya, guess they look at it pretty much the same way as bears. BC and Ontario allow deer baiting as well.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 AM

Remember also that the population density of hunters in Saskatchewan is waaaaaaay lower than Alberta. The whole province has roughly the same number of people as Calgary and area. If they are going to control the population of the deer in the big bush country then this is the way to find deer on a consistent basis. It also allows an outfitter to manage his/her area for trophy quality. Jim has size restrictions on his bucks after the 3rd day I believe. He wants big mature deer taken so the young ones can grow up.
Same reasoning as bears. Lots of bears wouldn't get killed each year because of where they live without the baits. By baiting we can also be selective of the harvesting of boars and ensuring no cubs are present.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM

I like the deer in his video 2 but the only problem i have with baiting is the transfer of CWD which is transferred through saliva and the greatest saliva pit for deer is a bait pile.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekie View Post
I like the deer in his video 2 but the only problem i have with baiting is the transfer of CWD which is transferred through saliva and the greatest saliva pit for deer is a bait pile.
Dont believe everything you hear about CWD. There is no scientific proof the disease is spread this way. It is all hype from Game and Fish departments that want to control or stop the spread of baiting. If baiting had anything to do with the spread of CWD, then states like Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Kansas would have no whitetails left. You cannot legally bait deer in Minnesota, many people do according to DNR reports. However, the backyard feeders have been around for several decades and Minnesota has yet to have a CWD deer. See what Professor James Kroll has to say about the disease and how a deer really gets it. He is the only professional who has the nuts to stand up to the media and game departments and challenge them to tell the truth about the disease. The hype and lies associated with CWD will amaze you if you do your homework and search for the truth.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:18 PM

yes its very legal to bait deer here in SK but if you think about it its no different than hunting by a silage pit or the farmer accidently on purpose leaves 5 o so acres of crop standing or doesent harvest a few swaths of barley on pupose realy whats the difference ????
Old 05-21-2009, 09:35 PM

thanks for the info guys, I didn't know it was legal.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

My son watches Jims DVD's over and over, some great stuff for sure.
Have you ever seen Jim Shockey and Gino Vannelli together in the same room ? They are the same person I say, LOL.

TBark