Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 07:27 PM

Default bowhunting bighorns

Hi everybody,

Just moved to Lethbridge about 3 months ago from Ontario, and am considering doing some bowhunting in the mountains this fall, possibly for bighorns. I've only ever hunted whitetails, though I have spent a fair bit of time hiking in the mountains/wild. I'm considering trying WMU 400 for bighorns, and though I know the odds are stacked against me, I'd at least like to give it an attempt. I'm planning a scouting trip for a few days mid June, and was wondering if anybody has a general area where there are sheep/elk/mule deer. Not asking for your honeyhole, just generic areas to start scouting. I'd like to nail down a place where I can at least be confident there are animals around. Thinking of heading towards Frank Slide. Any tips?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 AM

Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Bowhunting

you'll need a WIN card before you can buy a liscene
Get a copy of the hunting regulations and read them ....very carefully
Find an area that's open to bowhunting and start climbing....bring your spotting scope!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Matthv

Every couple months here on AO a new member comes on and starts a thread very similar to yours. Usually asking about tips for hunting all different species of animals. At post 6 or 7 someone responds by telling you to get off your butt and put some miles on your boots. Then someone admonishes them for being mean. Arguments ensue, people are banned, and at some point in the thread the RCMP, Outfitters, and Natives are bashed several times.

So, I suggest you use the search function, and save us the drama as there are much better ways to be entertained.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Matthv

Every couple months here on AO a new member comes on and starts a thread very similar to yours. Usually asking about tips for hunting all different species of animals. At post 6 or 7 someone responds by telling you to get off your butt and put some miles on your boots. Then someone admonishes them for being mean. Arguments ensue, people are banned, and at some point in the thread the RCMP, Outfitters, and Natives are bashed several times.

So, I suggest you use the search function, and save us the drama as there are much better ways to be entertained.
Lol not far off...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2016, 01:01 PM

During archery season there is only one WMU ...or area open for bighorn ...that's WMU 410...hard now in early season but not impossible ...and its draw during prime rut in November...

Bowhunting early season in rifle open WMU again near impossible...but not impossible...
The WMU 410 Archery zone...the sheep are somewhat not as spooked or educated as the rifle zones...but they know the drill

A good place is go to Canmore and ask the locals...

Neil
Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone, I've done a lot of research so far on this site, seems like there is a wealth of info on here. I plan on doing a scouting trip mid-June so we'll see if that turns anything up.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM

Most WMU's are now on a draw system...due to popularity and increasing numbers of interested hunters the sheep draw system may take a while to be successful...I have 13 straight years drawing for sheep now just to give you an example...

In an open WMU it can be a lot of hard work as mentioned but I admire your spirit and best of luck to you...

Neil
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Matthv

wan go Bango.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Matthv

You missed the part about the moderators being heavy handed and limiting freedom of speech!
Cat
Old 05-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

Shoot did I miss the part where natives are being bashed? Always loved that part of the thread lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk