Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 PM

Default Looking for a good flashlight. Lumens vs CD

I am looking at the Fenix PD35 and i've noticed that the max lumens is 1000. The max intensity is 10,000CD with a distance of 200m.

The Fenix PD32 is 900 lumens, but the max intensity is 14,400CD with a distance of 240m.

This doesn't make sense to me, can anyone explain which one will be "brighter"?

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductSer...px?cid=1&tid=9
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Lumens are total output, CDs are how far the flashlight will throw a beam. The PD35 will be "brighter" in the immediate vicinity but will not hold a beam as far. Depends on purpose as to what you prefer.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM

Lumens is the total light given off per second across all strata (directions) while lumens is the total light measured.

In a nut shell the PD35 probably has a tighter beam (high lumen but less candella) while the PD32 most likely has more of a flood light effect in comparison.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 PM

So I guess a higher CD rating is probably more noticeable/useful than a higher lumen rating..
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
So I guess a higher CD rating is probably more noticeable/useful than a higher lumen raBut ting..
It really depends. If searching for sometprefer r working on a particular part a more focused veam is beneficial. But it using it as a general work area or to walk/hike i much prefer a flood effect
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
It really depends. If searching for sometprefer r working on a particular part a more focused veam is beneficial. But it using it as a general work area or to walk/hike i much prefer a flood effect
On the sauce tonight? You even magically messed up MY words! lol

The CD seems beneficial to me.