Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Default dog hot spots

Has anyone found a good way to deal with hot spots. My chessie/lab was scratching the area behind the back of his upper front leg so bad that I took him to the vet and they shaved the area and told me to put polysporin on the area. I will get him so he is almost healed up and then he gets at it when I am not watching and he has the whole area scabbed up. It has been going on a couple of months now. I keep his back nails trimmed as he uses his back foot to scratch the heck out of the area. what to do?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Has anyone found a good way to deal with hot spots. My chessie/lab was scratching the area behind the back of his upper front leg so bad that I took him to the vet and they shaved the area and told me to put polysporin on the area. I will get him so he is almost healed up and then he gets at it when I am not watching and he has the whole area scabbed up. It has been going on a couple of months now. I keep his back nails trimmed as he uses his back foot to scratch the heck out of the area. what to do?
Using manuka honey on my newfs hot spots helped clear them up quickly and it isn't going to be bad for them if they lick it. Sounds crazy but it really works like hot dang!!

That said, we tried more ultra premium brands of food than I could count and none of them helped reduce her hot spots, but as soon as we moved to raw food, specifically a chicken and organ meat based one, within two weeks she was hotspot free and they have not returned in over 4 years. Better to avoid them all together than to deal with healing them!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Using manuka honey on my newfs hot spots helped clear them up quickly and it isn't going to be bad for them if they lick it. Sounds crazy but it really works like hot dang!!

That said, we tried more ultra premium brands of food than I could count and none of them helped reduce her hot spots, but as soon as we moved to raw food, specifically a chicken and organ meat based one, within two weeks she was hotspot free and they have not returned in over 4 years. Better to avoid them all together than to deal with healing them!
thanks I will try the honey first and then maybe raw
Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 PM

Default What my vet did

Hi: The hot spot on my lab was the result of a flea bite and not properly drying the dog after swimming. My vet shaved the area and gave use antibiotic creme. Cleared up in 2 weeks

Hoopi
Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 PM

I'll second the raw diet, my golden retriever had endless skin problems, tried pretty much everything to no avail. Switched him onto raw food and he's been styling for the last 6+ years!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Banned

While raw isn't a magic bullet, the benefits are beyond what can be expected from kibble. I'll never put another bowl of kibble down for a dog.

For hotspots, ploys poring does work well. Also coconut oil works quite well too .