Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I guess I should stick to moms basement as one member has pointed out...

This was not meant to start an argument nor was I wanting to throw our military under the bus... With the current situation in Alberta, I thought it was valid to bring forward that these exercises will continue. There is risk regardless of what the military does to mitigate fires from this exercise.. As an example, a previous controlled burn in 2013 where conditions were WAY better than they are this year got away from the "experts" who started it..

http://chattelevision.ca/__news/gras...-cfb-suffield/

Stuff happens, our resources in Alberta are stretched and the military will go forward with these exercises. If a controlled burn can get away there certainly is risk, simple as that.

I have seen first hand what these grass fires do, not an easy task to contain nor mitigate against when conditions are poor.

Anyways, I think I hear my mom telling me to get dressed as I have school today...
Yes, there is risk. What you seem to refuse to accept is that the military is not a risk-adverse organization. The CAF are not going to stop conducting training because of ANY environmental conditions no matter how adverse they may be. We will alter training, implement restrictions and abide by the rules set forth in Range Safety Orders and Training Safety WRT potential for fires or other incidents which may occur but training will not cease under any conditions unless those conditions could affect the safety of personnel. Even a fire index of extreme will never be a factor considered to cease training altogether. That's not how we do business.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
We have witnessed controlled burns get out of control in the past, so having a standard operating procedure does nothing IMO.
Oh my you must have been on a few live fire ex.

We would shoot, light er up and put it out, very efficient especially with the man power and equipment all ready to go, not like we were tucked away in our fart sacks unprepared...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
One has to wonder with all the expert military firefighter we have in AB and on AO why they were never ask to go to Fort Mac. Maybe several hundred homes could of been saved and several billions of dollars saved. in fact I believe that would of been a great training exercise.
That's not a fare statement to anyone, that fire was being fought by civilians, highly trained and great at thier jobs, circumstances was on mother natures side, dry conditions, things seemed under control and then the wind went beserk.
The only way any military firefighting unit or any unit to be exact could have helped was to be at that exact location when all hell broke loose but then again under those unique situations the dragon had the upper hand.
Bad situation for all involved, sometimes this happens.
We always can look back at a bad situation and say "what if".
Now it's a time to refocus and rebuild. Safely!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM

Trust me when I say I'm not disagreeing with you. Yes our military is one of the best in the world and i am very grateful for them, and yes the firefighter at Fort Mac did an outstanding job with what they were faced with. All I'm saying is I can see where Leafy is coming from. I spent 2 months hunting around the base this last winter and got to know a lot of those ranchers, and they are great honest people that are just trying to make a living which the land and cattle they have. I know if I had a couple hundred head of cow/calve pairs in a pasture along the base I would be more then a litle nervous with any fire in the area. I've seen how fast a 80 km wind can push a wild grass fire on the milk river ridge on more than one occasion, I've seen a 10 mile path of fire travel 40 mile in less than a hour. Mother Nature is alive and well in southern Alberta also and it is very very dry down here.

Jim..
Old 05-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Yes, there is risk. What you seem to refuse to accept is that the military is not a risk-adverse organization. The CAF are not going to stop conducting training because of ANY environmental conditions no matter how adverse they may be. We will alter training, implement restrictions and abide by the rules set forth in Range Safety Orders and Training Safety WRT potential for fires or other incidents which may occur but training will not cease under any conditions unless those conditions could affect the safety of personnel. Even a fire index of extreme will never be a factor considered to cease training altogether. That's not how we do business.
Airbourne,

No need to discuss this any further, as your last statement has it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Oh my you must have been on a few live fire ex.

We would shoot, light er up and put it out, very efficient especially with the man power and equipment all ready to go, not like we were tucked away in our fart sacks unprepared...

No I have never been on live fire exercises.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Try it sometime. They are fun.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Trust me when I say I'm not disagreeing with you. Yes our military is one of the best in the world and i am very grateful for them, and yes the firefighter at Fort Mac did an outstanding job with what they were faced with. All I'm saying is I can see where Leafy is coming from. I spent 2 months hunting around the base this last winter and got to know a lot of those ranchers, and they are great honest people that are just trying to make a living which the land and cattle they have. I know if I had a couple hundred head of cow/calve pairs in a pasture along the base I would be more then a litle nervous with any fire in the area. I've seen how fast a 80 km wind can push a wild grass fire on the milk river ridge on more than one occasion, I've seen a 10 mile path of fire travel 40 mile in less than a hour. Mother Nature is alive and well in southern Alberta also and it is very very dry down here.

Jim..
when it comes to Mother Nature we are all in her control.
No matter what we do things can go wrong quickly.
Those who stand in her way to fight her will whether in southern Alberta or northern are brave souls.

At the end of the day we learn...today we will learn from yesterday and prepare for tomorrow.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Try it sometime. They are fun.
Not when the grass sparks up in 70 Km's winds...now the work begins!

And like stated above by elkhunter1234 it spreads quick, amazingly unforgiving and scary.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
Well boys, girls and others Wainwright is on the verge of Maple Guardian. A major military training exercise that will definitely have the range burning sooner or later.
Others...who else walks amongst us

Either way soldier on. Precautionary measures will be implemented.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 PM

I meant free fire exercises.