Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Smile "Sherpa" on Discovery Channel tonight...

For those of you who enjoy anything to do with mountain climbing, this looks like a good watch.

http://everestavalanchetragedy.com/

For some reason, although I am very afraid of heights, and my knees are bad, I have a thing for mountain climbing stories. Just finished Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" for the second time, and am well into Sir Edmund Hillary's account of the first ascent of Everest. Planning to order a book on the history of K2 soon...living mountain life vicariously, I guess.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 04-23-2016, 12:31 PM

I hope to see it
when a foreigner climbs everest it's a big deal..some of those locals have been up numerous times and probly without the added weight of oxygen.
there was one Sherpa who has been to the top 15 times and was killed in avalanche don't member his name right off.
our species is so insignificant and soft compared to nature

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Banned

Should be good.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:30 PM

I saw the advertisement for this show. I will have to check it out.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
For those of you who enjoy anything to do with mountain climbing, this looks like a good watch.

http://everestavalanchetragedy.com/

For some reason, although I am very afraid of heights, and my knees are bad, I have a thing for mountain climbing stories. Just finished Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" for the second time, and am well into Sir Edmund Hillary's account of the first ascent of Everest. Planning to order a book on the history of K2 soon...living mountain life vicariously, I guess.
If you haven't already, look into any of Ed Viesturs books. He has an awesome one on k2 and "no shortcuts to the top" is a great read too.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Banned

"Into Thin Air" has taken a lot of heat; you might also care to read Boukreev's "The Climb" and Weathers' "Left For Dead."
Best K2 book on my shelf is "No Way Down."

BTW, this is about the 2014 disaster when a serac came down on the icefall doctors, not last year's earthquake. There was a good NatGeo article on it in the fall of 2014 (I think, might have been later).
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 AM

. Didn't make it through whole episode wasn't interesting enough. I don't know what I expected but this wasn't it.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post
If you haven't already, look into any of Ed Viesturs books. He has an awesome one on k2 and "no shortcuts to the top" is a great read too.
That was the one I had planned to get, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gill View Post
"Into Thin Air" has taken a lot of heat; you might also care to read Boukreev's "The Climb" and Weathers' "Left For Dead."
Best K2 book on my shelf is "No Way Down."
The edition I just read had an updated epilogue, going into great detail about the issues with Boukreev. No doubt one should read all three.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Sherpas are awesome people and do the work that gets the so called 'mountain climbers' up the mountain. Some of those sherpas are up there a dozen times a year and more, they get back from one trip and are going again the next day. In my opinion the tourists are a bunch of ignorant rich tourist *****s, 16 people dead, not even buried yet, search for bodies isn't even over and they are whining about sherpas who won't take them up the mountain. Seemed they were only concerened about how much money they spent to get there and how the gov't probably wouldn't reimburse them. Total bunch of phony selfish arrogant anal orifices.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Default sherpas

Agreed!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sherpas are awesome people and do the work that gets the so called 'mountain climbers' up the mountain. Some of those sherpas are up there a dozen times a year and more, they get back from one trip and are going again the next day. In my opinion the tourists are a bunch of ignorant rich tourist *****s, 16 people dead, not even buried yet, search for bodies isn't even over and they are whining about sherpas who won't take them up the mountain. Seemed they were only concerened about how much money they spent to get there and how the gov't probably wouldn't reimburse them. Total bunch of phony selfish arrogant anal orifices.
Absolutely correct!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Just finished Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" for the second time, and am well into Sir Edmund Hillary's account of the first ascent of Everest. Planning to order a book on the history of K2 soon...living mountain life vicariously, I guess.
John Krakauer's book "Eiger Dreams - Ventures Among Men and Mountains" is also an excellent read. It's definitely worth taking a look at.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:28 AM

An interesting article that has an Alberta connection to the Sherpas and the climbing of Mount Everest.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...cent-disputed/