Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2016, 05:17 PM

Default Hunting with dogs

I know it's a long time off yet but Im always thinking about hunting coyotes. Watching some YouTube vids about using decoy dogs while coyote hunting. My question today is; is it legal to be accompanied by a dog while hunting coyotes. I know it's illegal while hunting big game, but I can't find anything in the regs about predators or varmint hunting.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 PM

This topic has come up on here before and you are gonna get 2 different answers . One will tell you it is alright and others will say it is illegal . I asked this question once to an officer and he told me dont do it , not even as a decoy dog that is only sitting by you and not pursuing the game . IF you ask and are told it is legal , I hope it is the same officer that checks you after you use the dog .
Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM

So you're saying the CO's don't really know what the laws are? And in which circumstance what applicable? Wow sounds like LEOs, DOT and safely inspectors no offence intended
Old 04-23-2016, 05:52 PM

Not that they don't know , some interpret the law differently than others .
Cat
Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM

I know that permits are still issued for the use of Grey hounds to chase and kill them
Old 04-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Just like running Lynx on our Traplines with dogs. F&W laughed the first time I asked and said not a chance. 3 weeks later I got the green light from the regional director!
Don't stop asking until they put their answer in writing for you.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 PM
Banned

When I'm on the trapline, I have my dog with me, all the time.
If it is hunting season and I'm hunting on my line, my dog is with me. By that I mean, by my side. I'm not leaving him at the cabin.
Should a situation arise out there, well, we'll deal with it at that time. It's not that the sky is falling and the fish cops had better have an open mind..
I hope..haha
Old 04-23-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Just like running Lynx on our Traplines with dogs. F&W laughed the first time I asked and said not a chance. 3 weeks later I got the green light from the regional director!
Don't stop asking until they put their answer in writing for you.
This in Ab Tork?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
This in Ab Tork?
Yep, my Trapline is south of Grande Prairie in Alberta. In BC I can run Lynx all over either of my guide territories, no Trapline needed
Old 04-23-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
When I'm on the trapline, I have my dog with me, all the time.
If it is hunting season and I'm hunting on my line, my dog is with me. By that I mean, by my side. I'm not leaving him at the cabin.
Should a situation arise out there, well, we'll deal with it at that time. It's not that the sky is falling and the fish cops had better have an open mind..
I hope..haha
When I was on the fly in line my dogs were with me quite often .
During the winter they were always with me .
Cat
Old 04-24-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguide View Post
So you're saying the CO's don't really know what the laws are? And in which circumstance what applicable? Wow sounds like LEOs, DOT and safely inspectors no offence intended
Some sure dont.. for instance I know a guy here in the south that has a licenced pheasant release grounds where he hunts birds all year after placing them . He was recently grilled by an officer that told him it was not legal here in ALBERTA . Said officer had a nice plate of cold crow after a phone call to their superiors ..lol
Old 04-24-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Some sure dont.. for instance I know a guy here in the south that has a licenced pheasant release grounds where he hunts birds all year after placing them . He was recently grilled by an officer that told him it was not legal here in ALBERTA . Said officer had a nice plate of cold crow after a phone call to their superiors ..lol

And the problem is that one round of crow won't likely change his attitude. On the other hand a day or two of UNPAID vacation would likely be much more effective.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not that they don't know , some interpret the law differently than others .
Cat
Funny I always considered laws as fact not something open to interpretation like math 2+2 always equals 4. Or the law of gravity.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Funny I always considered laws as fact not something open to interpretation like math 2+2 always equals 4. Or the law of gravity.
Lawyers make their money arguing interpretation of the law, and the CFOs are probably the worst, they enforce laws and standards that only exist in their imaginations.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
HAHA!!
I didn't say it was right, only that they interpret them differently!
I remember bringing a handgun for inspection years go to get my conveyance permit - it was sent from Sylvan lake up to my house here.
I then brought it to the detachment for a certain overzealous officer to inspect.

He confiscated it because I did not bring him the cylinder ( cap and ball 1851 Sheriff's model) and told me the conveyance permit would not be issued and the hand gun confiscated permanently .

A quick call to the Shooting Federation of Canada's technical director was all it took for their lawyer to explain to the officer the repercussions of such a ridiculous actin.
Same as the guys getting charged for having barbed hooks in their tackle boxes a few years back.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-24-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the problem is that one round of crow won't likely change his attitude. On the other hand a day or two of UNPAID vacation would likely be much more effective.
So true .. I can see the vacation upcoming .
Old 04-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I know that permits are still issued for the use of Grey hounds to chase and kill them
And who issues these permits and under what conditions?

I found the same info as H380. No dogs for coyotes, whether chasing or decoys. Where is the regulation? No idea, but if a game warden tells you no when you call and then he catches you with your dog.....well, you get the idea.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-24-2016, 04:48 PM

A number of years back a person was able to obtain a permit for damage control with hounds. The permit was for only a quarter section but greyhounds are dumb when it comes to fences and property lines.On another note I see no sense in not allowing decoy dogs when counties pay bounties and use poison to control coyote numbers.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
A number of years back a person was able to obtain a permit for damage control with hounds. The permit was for only a quarter section but greyhounds are dumb when it comes to fences and property lines.On another note I see no sense in not allowing decoy dogs when counties pay bounties and use poison to control coyote numbers.
Common sense is a very rare commodity when lawmakers go to work!
Cat
Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So true .. I can see the vacation upcoming .

Not likely UNPAID, if it's paid vacation, it's a reward.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Common sense is a very rare commodity when lawmakers go to work!
Cat
Solid gold right there. I dare say 90 % of laws are unnecessary and poorly thought out. The ones that do make sense are not enforced or watered down.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
It is still on the books, just I don't believe that Ag will issue the permit after the bad publicity some years back with a news reporter filming a hunt with dogs.

The Pest and Nuisance Control Regs say

Coyote and skunk control

14(15) A person so authorized by the Minister may issue a Form 9 permit to the owner or occupant of land authorizing the use of dogs to control coyote on that land, and such a permit is not valid for more than 30 days.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:29 PM

FIL had one 2 years ago for all his lands owned within the county
Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
It is still on the books, just I don't believe that Ag will issue the permit after the bad publicity some years back with a news reporter filming a hunt with dogs.

The Pest and Nuisance Control Regs say

Coyote and skunk control

14(15) A person so authorized by the Minister may issue a Form 9 permit to the owner or occupant of land authorizing the use of dogs to control coyote on that land, and such a permit is not valid for more than 30 days.

Does anyone know the wording on Form 9?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Does anyone know the wording on Form 9?
Again from the regs.

FORM 9
(Section 14)

PERMIT TO DESTROY COYOTE
USING DOGS

Name of land owner or occupant

Location(s) of owner or occupant’s land on which coyote may be destroyed: Qtr Sec Twp Rge W of

Mailing address

Postal code

Telephone

□ * The permit holder is authorized to use dogs to destroy coyote on the land described above.

□ * I (owner or occupant’s name) authorize (name and address of resident of Alberta) to use dogs to destroy coyote on the land I own and occupy as described above.

  (Signature of owner or occupant)     (Date)  

□ I confirm that livestock predation caused by coyote has occurred on the land described above within the last 30 days.

   (Signature of inspector)     (Date of issue) 

This permit is only valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

* The inspector is to delete whichever paragraph is not applicable.

AR 184/2001 Sched.1;201/2001;35/2007;68/2008
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.