Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Default What sights would you choose for an 1885 High Wall in .45-70?

Hi All,

I've recently picked up a Uberti replica of the 1885 High Wall, chambered in .45-70, and intend to hunt with it.

I'm wondering what folks would suggest in terms of sights this beauty. I don't foresee - at least initially - getting into BPCR shooting, and so don't think I need a Soule or vernier with much windage adjustment. That being said, I'm wondering whether they're a liability while hunting. The semi-buckhorn sight and front bead combo isn't bad, but I'd simply like to see how a tang peep sight would perform.

I'm currently considering a couple of sights from Montana Vintage Arms - specifically, their #133 vernier sight and their Marbles-like Combination Rear Sight. Thoughts?

While I'm asking, what front sight would you pair with the rear? Any comment on MVA's Front Combination Sight? Is a movable sight a bad idea in the bush? It seems like it might be more delicate than a partridge post or bead sight. How would a a globe front sight (with interchangeable inserts) work for hunting?

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Lyman makes a tang sight that might work for you. I believe the one for a 1894 is supposed to fit.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 PM

My Winchester 1885 came with a Marble tang sight and tall( blade??) front sight. I have a few different apertures for it. Mine is a 405 Winchester and I have hit out to 150 yards with it, but I can't brag up my shooting with my eyes getting older. I'm sure many could shoot my set up much better than that, with the sights that are on it. Love the gun though, one of the members here is going to re-do the stock for me, it faded a bit, don't know why? I have the 1886 in the 45-70, also love it.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll look into those options.

Any input on the suitability, pros, and cons of using target sights for hunting would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 PM

Hopefully Cat in the Hat sees this and chimes in.. He has forgotten more about open sight shooting than I'll ever know... He may be mad at you though.. He did have a lust on for that rifle you got from me!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Caster View Post
Hopefully Cat in the Hat sees this and chimes in.. He has forgotten more about open sight shooting than I'll ever know... He may be mad at you though.. He did have a lust on for that rifle you got from me!
Uh oh, I've been hoping he'd add his thoughts, too - sorry Cat! (And you have excellent taste!)

By the way, I'm loving the rifle! I shot it on the Friday after I picked up from you (so Good Friday), sighted in the elevation to my sight picture, and shot this seven-shot group at 100 meters:

(I'd forgotten the masking tape and pencil, so didn't attempt to adjust the windage - looks like I'll be tapping the rear sight a bit to the right)

And although my main goal for the rifle is to hunt with it, I admit that it would be great fun throwing lead a very long way down-range - hence my questions about whether target sights would be a liability while hunting.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 AM

Target sights are only a liability when hunting in a situation where you have to rush a shot or in poor light. A globe style front sight with a post-style insert works great and is very durable. A Hadley-style adjustable eyepiece on a vernier ladder sight is handy for both hunting and targets as long as the largest aperature is good for poor-light conditions. I had a Pedersoli Sharps with non-adjustable 0.050" rear aperature and blew a chance at a big white tail buck one gloomy afternoon in a snowstorm because I couldn't see him through that small aperature even at 40 yds. The Hadley I subsequently installed would have made that shot a gimmee. Also, I drilled out that non-adjustable aperature to 3/32" which is the largest hole possible and now that also works in the gloom. A Hadley sight costs about $100 so you might just want to experiment with a large aperature rear sight on a mid-range vernier or even a simpler post-style tang sight.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Caster View Post
DANG! Just when I came into a bit of cash as well!
As far as tang peeps go, it was already stated that on a rushed shot they may not be the best, but that rifle is not really the best for a spot and stalk rig anyyway because of the weight and barrel length.
My Uberti 40/65 had a 28" barrel and was much lighter profiled, and worked super with the open sights on it.
Once i pout the traditional scope on it however, it became a bit of a pain to stalk with!
I have hunted with a big Sparps 45/110 with a tang sight on it, and for the most part it worked veryu well.
I have also shot several highwalls with Lyman and Redfiled receiver sights on them, .
They work super, but are not legal for BPCR competition ( if that isn a concern)
personally I would hunt with the open sights, but if I was going to use a peep I would put a tang sight on it for hunting, not a complicated one like a Soule, but a lighter, simpler one with a simple windage adjustment for initial sight in.
Cat
Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM

Thanks BPman and Cat! That's exactly the information I was hoping for. Another AOer has been kind enough to invite me to shoot a couple of his tang sight-equipped rifles, so I'll get to try before buying. Then the decision will come down to sticking with the open sights (which are working well for me) or going for a tang sight - which might be too fun to pass up, if only for the experience.

Thanks again!