Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 04:34 PM

Default Where to get a scope mounted?

Hi. My wife is pretty excited as we just got her her first rifle a nice CZ 22. I'm looking at getting scope mounted on it and am looking for recommendations on where to get it done. I've never mounted one myself and I also don't have all of the tools needed, lapping bar, gun vise, laser bore sighter, torque screw river etc. Any recommendations or warnings of where NOT to take it?

PMs are fine for warnings, so this doesn't turn in to a gunsmith bashing thread.
Thanks.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Pretty easy to mount the scope yourself on a .22 if you grab a set of Burris rings with inserts it will take care of the lapping issue. In terms of bore sighting if you can get a target close inside of 25 yards I haven't had any issues looking down the barrel at a bright dot and moving the cross-hairs to the dot this will get you on paper at 25 yards and you can go from there. I use a carpenters plumb on a piece of black string in front of a white piece of paper to get the scope lined up properly. I have a torque wrench and live in Beaumont if you are looking to get the screws tightened exact.

And if all else fails take it to P and D they do a nice job and only charge 25bucks for a rimfire.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 PM

Since it's a CZ , I would go with Talley rings, as they fit the CZ dovetails very well. If you use the wrench that comes with the Talley rings, you would really have to work at it to over tighten the screws. As for boresighting, remove the bolt, line the bore up on a target about 50 yards away, and then adjust the scope to line up with the target as well. Once the bore and crosshairs line up, you should be on the paper with your first shot. I don't lap with the 22 specialty rings, and I have never had a scope marked or had any other issues.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:07 PM

If you choose to do it yourself, I have a 1" lapping bar you could borrow. Otherwise P&D as mentioned .