Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2016, 12:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not always possible as in shooting across a river , but that is a decision of the hunter in a particular situation .
Cat
Strip down to you gitch, hold the the 30-06 rifle above your head, never mind the shrinkage...the price is on the other side and the numbness will soon go away.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Semantics Cat,, it's the same thing,, you just don't get to see the trees in your scope that the bullets gunna hit
Hardly the same at all - you can hit an unseen twig at a 100 just as easily as 500.
The spot I am speaking about is clear all the way to the target but the bottoms are too thick to stalk in and the wind is wrong.- the deer dimply walk away over the top before you can get the boar beached .
The only way I'd s long range shot from across the river or on a sand bar unless you shoot them on the shore which I suppose has happened but very rarely .
That is only one scenario that has been done several times .
Cat
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What your saying is correct, you come across like a close minded drunk grandpa tho. The question is,,,,at 500 yards would you prefer to have to do a 50 inch hold over or a 30 inch hold over, maybe there's a tree branch now because you need to hold over so much, it's now going slower so more susceptible to the wind so you now hold 5 more inches to the right,,tree branch crap. Accuracy is everything so at the long range bc does matter to help increase accuracy,,grandpa
At 500 yds the difference in barrel elevation for a 30 " holdover and a 50 " holdover is almost negligible for most common bullet trajectories capable of that distance. Same with windage. I fail to see where the amount of holdover is much of a factor if you have a small lane through the branches to shoot through. Its easy to miss by 20 inches at that distance.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:21 PM

anschutz makes there 308 bolt face hunting rifle in only 30 06 i guess they think its the best all around
Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
At 500 yds the difference in barrel elevation for a 30 " holdover and a 50 " holdover is almost negligible for most common bullet trajectories capable of that distance. Same with windage. I fail to see where the amount of holdover is much of a factor if you have a small lane through the branches to shoot through. Its easy to miss by 20 inches at that distance.
Then you shouldn't need to worry about it because if you can easily miss by 20 inches at 500 you shouldn't be pulling the trigger which means you don't even need to be talking about this.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Some say it is...some say it isn't.
My vote is yup 308 .... Closely followed by the famed 30-06
Old 04-04-2016, 03:38 PM

There is no single "best all round cartridge". Your favorite round that you know how it performs is best for you, maybe not for others. The 30-06 has been getting it done for 100 years and will probably outlive a lot of the newer flavor of the month cartridges.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
My vote is yup 308 .... Closely followed by the famed 30-06
X2
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 AM

.308 over 06. Inherently more accurate, shorter action, and very similar ballistics. Comes down to what you like to hear roll off your tongue when someone asks what you shoot.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Some shoot a lot of BS

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
.308 over 06. Inherently more accurate, shorter action, and very similar ballistics. Comes down to what you like to hear roll off your tongue when someone asks what you shoot.
Nothing sounds better than "ought six".
Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 AM

Best? I'm not sure if any calibre is best, but the 30-06 will see you through 99.9% of your hunting in North America and isn't out of place anyplace else in the world. Anyone looking for a one gun does it all won't go wrong with it.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default One pair of shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Best? I'm not sure if any calibre is best, but the 30-06 will see you through 99.9% of your hunting in North America and isn't out of place anyplace else in the world. Anyone looking for a one gun does it all won't go wrong with it.
Having just one rifle that can do every thing is like having one pair of shoes that can do everything. It's all you really need. But obviously these days nobody only has one pair of " do it all " shoes in Canada.

To me an " all around cartridge " is one that you can use in any country. We know in Europe the military rounds in some countries are illegal to use. Hence this 30-06 is not a best " all around ". You can't use it in some countries.

Variety is the spice of life. The 30-06 is medicracy across the board in my opinion. Jack of all trades. Master of none. ( full stop)

Last edited by Mangosteen; 04-05-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 AM

come on boys, when was the last time you watched best of the west or long range pursuit and saw someone shooting a 30-06 ?????? therefore it cant be the best right ???? just throwing it out there, you know me I wouldn't want to start anything

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Then you shouldn't need to worry about it because if you can easily miss by 20 inches at 500 you shouldn't be pulling the trigger which means you don't even need to be talking about this.
I'm not worrying about it at all as I don't do 500 yd shots at game.. but I really admire a guy who can pull off a 500 yd shot through the branches with a 50 in. holdover through the tree canopy and can say he missed by 2 inches.
All I meant was that it probably wont be necessary to elevate your barrel 40 deg to achieve a 50 " holdover at 500 yds and a miss by 20" at that range
wouldn't be too difficult. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Having just one rifle that can do every thing is like having one pair of shoes that can do everything. It's all you really need. But obviously these days nobody only has one pair of " do it all " shoes in Canada.

To me an " all around cartridge " is one that you can use in any country. We know in Europe the military rounds in some countries are illegal to use. Hence this 30-06 is not a best " all around ". You can't use it in some countries.

Variety is the spice of life. The 30-06 is medicracy across the board in my opinion. Jack of all trades. Master of none. ( full stop)
"All around cartridge " to 95% of the members of this forum concerns a cartridge that will be used in Canada.
Cat