Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Smile New to Alberta, and lookin for elk!!!

Just got to oil country last week and I must say you got some beautiful land out here. I'm situated in High Level Alberta and lookin for some areas to go for some elk close to home. I here manning has got some but where exactly is what i need to know. I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding a mature bull moose in this area.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM

I am also located in high level, and always looking for elk. The manning country holds some elk, but land owners permission can be tough in places. There is a bunch of elk at keg river, but not yet a season on them. Same thing goes for the fort vermillion area. There are elk there as well but no season on them. I like elk hunting in the peace river area, especially out towards the tangent area. If a guy was looking for elk at manning i would concentrate on the south side towards deadwood. I have seen quite a few there.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Right on thanks for the direction.....but what do you mean there is no season on the elk in the fort vermillion area and keg river area?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

I believe that F+W has not yet deemed that the two herds are large enough to sustain a hunting season. I have not yet spoke to fish and wildlife about it, but the herds are not huge, not sure how many animals in total there would be, but i dont believe that it is a big number.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM

So my chances of getting an elk this year will be much better down south in the peace river valley area. Cool. But will need a guide. but i'll plan on taking a trip in the area that was mentioned.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM

I could be mistaken but as long as you are an alberta resident you shouldnt need a guide. We hunted the peace river area, WMU 523 for a few years. Never tagged an elk, but they were there. We always went after them in late season, but i am sure you could get in the in the rut and get on em. I would concentrate my effort either around the tangent area or in the watino area.

Tags
300 win. mag, elk, high level, moose, northern alberta