Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Default underground versus above ground cistern

I need to install a potable water cistern when the frost comes out on our acreage. Of course the underground setup is cheaper, but is there more inherent problems compared to above ground? An above ground setup would require a cement pad and a well insulated building over it with a small heater, but everything would be above ground except for the discharge hose. What do you folks prefer?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:07 PM

almost every gas plant / compressor station I have worked at had underground tanks . the only issue I have ever seem is poor landscaping on one that allowed surface runoff to enter the tank . other wise , I think ug is the way to go . out of site out of mind !
Old 04-02-2016, 06:32 PM

Underground is the way to go in my opinion. Pretty much every farm in this end of the province has one, and you rarely hear of anyone having any troubles.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Underground, they make them out of steel culvert material, dig a hole, drop in culvert vertically, plumb it in, pour concrete floor, let it set up, backfill, and you have a cistern. The underground heat keeps it from freezing.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Underground, they make them out of steel culvert material, dig a hole, drop in culvert vertically, plumb it in, pour concrete floor, let it set up, backfill, and you have a cistern. The underground heat keeps it from freezing.
this^^^^
I'm building mine like this exactly.
I got a 2meter x 3 meter long chunk from the culvert place for 140$. It was scrap to them and probly went to pizza lunch for the guys.
I'm putting a 10x10 insulated but not heated shed over it maybe wit a 8x7 ga rage door in it for my bobcat in yhe winter. The service power comes into this building and splits to out buildings .the generator/transfer switch will also live in here.

My parents have tbis exact setup except it's 3m x 3m height and it creates a superb root cellar for potatoes to keep until august off the following year. It also makes a tornado hideout.
I wonder if a metal grainery could be used instead of a culvert.hmmmm

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31

Last edited by roger; 04-02-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 AM

So roger, yours is not for water?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 AM

Hi Corey
it's not a cistern persay. I have the downhOle well pump controls, pressure tank and water distribution manifold to stock waterer, house, and hydrants.the drilled well casing is 30' away and connected by pitless adaptor.
putting a water storage vessel down inside would be done prior to pouring slab. And would be sized according to the culvert structure will allow for access.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
this^^^^
I'm building mine like this exactly.
I got a 2meter x 3 meter long chunk from the culvert place for 140$. It was scrap to them and probly went to pizza lunch for the guys.
I'm putting a 10x10 insulated but not heated shed over it maybe wit a 8x7 ga rage door in it for my bobcat in yhe winter. The service power comes into this building and splits to out buildings .the generator/transfer switch will also live in here.

My parents have tbis exact setup except it's 3m x 3m height and it creates a superb root cellar for potatoes to keep until august off the following year. It also makes a tornado hideout.
I wonder if a metal grainery could be used instead of a culvert.hmmmm
A metal grainery is full of bolt holes, if your using it for a dry hole it would work. Lots of guys throw those 1000 bushel graineries away.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:42 AM

I'd focus on using a 36"x7ft cylindrical pvc cistern standing on end with a drain valve on bottom. with a 8' diameter culvert or grainery the space is big enough to serve many uses.
it ciuld also house an aircompresser for blowing out lines if needed.
Depending on the seriousness of the project, A new one wouldn't be to expensive even, assemble it on location. It depends on how versatile the "hole" can be made into and the resources you have.
Another thing is to acquire 1/2" black coil plastic tube or 1/2"pex. Bury two lines around the water line. this way hot air can be blown through these two lines to unthaw underground freeze ups are a concern.this can happen if a water service goes under a hi traffic area or shallower than normal bury is needed.plus you could use those lines for compressed air lines to any serviced space. Keeps the compresser noise in well pit and gives you compressed air in house for crafts or blowing furnace out.